*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Euro 6 bluefin anyone?

The all new 2013 Transit Custom Forum. Transits and Tourneos 2013+

Euro 6 bluefin anyone?

Postby yzr750 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:56 am

Anyone put a superchips bluefin map on their Euro6? If so was it a drama?
Over here vans aren't very popular so we don't have much in the way of remapping options and no vantuner, so if you want a bit more power the options are a tuning box or bluefin remap.
yzr750
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Euro 6 bluefin anyone?

Postby wild camper » Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:11 pm

I bought a Bluefin from Demon Tweeks and received a free K&N filter worth about £80, you need access to a laptop and the internet to download your data to Bluefin and they return the updated files to be plugged into the OBD port. It’s quit straightforward and the easiest method to remove if the van is still under warranty. The increase in performance is impressive but that’s not what I was looking for, I wanted an increase in low end torque,the guys at Bluefin were very helpful and suggested that I need to keep the revs above 1500RPM all the time to get the best performance and suggested that it was not for me and that I should return it for a refund (within 2 weeks of purchase) Demon Tweeks were very good and agreed a refund and even allowed me to keep the free K&N filter, excellent service.
I then bought a box from Bluespark, they were very helpful, the installation involves removing the air filter and the boost pipe with 2 very awkward 10mm headed bolts in a confined space to be able to lift up a rubber “blanket” that covers the fuel rail sensor, then attach the rest of the 2 channel harness to the boost sensor. Re attaching the 2 1mm bolts is a pig of a job and I was always concerned at how long the harness would take to remove by the roadside if I broke down and was recovered by Ford Assist. Again the increase in performance is phenomenal if you want to be a boy racer, but it didn’t give me the low end torque that I wanted. Bluespark were great and refunded me with no quibble.
Finally I bought a used CRTD4 unit from TDI Tuning on EBay paid £100 for it and about another £160 to have it reprogrammed with a 3 channel harness, any CRTD4 unit will do, it doesn’t matter what vehicle it comes off, they just reprogramm it and supply a new 3 channel harness, fitting is very similar and difficult as the Bluespark but by now I can do it in about 20 minutes with just 7,8&10mm socket.
The TDI Tuning Box is everything I wanted, great low end torque, increased fuel economy (its too soon to say how much) I can take roundabouts in third, coast comfortably at 30mph in fourth, cruise at 1725RPM in sixth at 66mph by the sat nav or 69mph by the speedo, I’m really pleased, oh and there’s still phenomenal performance above 1500RPM if you want it.
The van is a joy to drive and I would recommend the CRTD4.
wild camper
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby wild camper » Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:28 pm

I forgot to add that when I got a quote for a new policy from Adrian Flux they quoted me one amount and when I told them I was thinking of modifying the vehicle with a tuning box for economy the actually reduced the premium! I was amazed. Naturally I went with them and now I’m all legal
wild camper
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby yzr750 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:07 am

Thanks for that, I'm not interested in anything below 1500 rpm, I'm more interested in being able to overtake a B double safely in the 2-2.5k rpm range so the bluefin may be the go for me.
Did you have any running problems with it other than the <1500rpm tardiness?
yzr750
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby wild camper » Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:10 am

No problems with the Bluefin, I’m not very computer savvy so my niece used her laptop and email to set it up, very simple really, you have to carry the hand held device in the vehicle at all times if you want to remove the program before the van goes in for warranty work if you break down, but that’s no problem. Buy one from Demon Tweeks and get a free K&N filter. The 2 week returns policy means that you have to make a quick decision whether you want to keep it or not.
Buy one and try it, if you don’t like it it’s simple to return it for a refund (all you lose is the postage cost but you get to keep the K&N filter worth £80) If it’s increased performance that you want you’ll be pleased.
I should have pointed out that the CRTD4 from TDI Tuning has 3 channels in the harness Fuel, Boost and Cam (RPM) sensors
Bluespark has Fuel and Boost only, I think the extra RPM sensor on the CRTD4 makes a difference
wild camper
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby wild camper » Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:27 pm

Hello YZR750
Did you eventually buy a Bluefin?
Did it give you the overtaking performance you were looking for?
I’d be interested to know after I returned mine
wild camper
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Return to Transit Custom