*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

new transit custom

The all new 2013 Transit Custom Forum. Transits and Tourneos 2013+

new transit custom

Postby jerry howell » Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:33 pm

Hi Guys
test drove a sport custom yesterday and to be honest really disappointed that despite being a 170 bhp it didn't seem to be no where as nippy as the sales guy made out ,only had 12 miles left on the fuel , perhaps on some get you home mode as the fuel so low ? we have a Iveco daily extra long wheel base at work 180bhp and that's like a rocket ship compared with the sport that had only just over 3k on it , in fact I thought my v6 petrol tranny picked up better !
I was looking at potentially getting an m sport but perhaps there all kitted and just as slow without being rude !
would appreciate some feedback/views on this please guys

cheers jerry
jerry howell

Re: new transit custom

Postby Jay2018 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:04 pm

Wouldn't buy a Transit off anyone who is letting the diesel get down to 12 miles lol, can't remember the last time my van showed less than 50 miles before I start getting seriously stressed out. Also he obviously wasn't taking you seriously if he let you take the van out showing 12 miles. Just ridiculous. I'm pretty sure it is actually very very bad to run diesels less than a quarter tank. Was most probably definitely running very slow. No idea about MK8s, but I know my mk7 starts getting suicidal when diesel is low.
2012 MK7 Transit Trend 125 T350 6 SPD FWD MWB MR (Frozen White) :D
2010 MK7 Transit Jumbo 100 - SOLD :(
Galant VR4 8th Gen Type S(TT), 300ZX(TT) + S14A(T), Supra MK3(T), Golf MK4 1.8(T), GS300 & Civic EG9 VTI (ALL SOLD)
Jay2018
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby jerry howell » Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:33 pm

was a main Ford dealer as well loved the van just not the performance ! think ill just keep my connect sport and get some work done on it , save my self shed loads lololl still fancy a m sport tho...... :D
jerry howell

Postby Mike » Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:05 am

Jay2018 wrote: I'm pretty sure it is actually very very bad to run diesels less than a quarter tank. Was most probably definitely running very slow. No idea about MK8s.

It’s not a bad idea at all, especially on a brand new van. They certainly don’t go into limp mode at 12 miles to go. And it’s not a MK8 it’s a Custom that he’s talking about.

Please stop posting complete crap, it’s bloody tedious.
Mike
Wind up merchant!

Postby Mike » Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:09 am

jerry howell wrote:I thought my v6 petrol tranny picked up better !

You’re right, they’re lighter and petrol engines are more responsive.

As for the Sport, they’re always going to be a bit less sprightly than a Limited as they’re a bit heavier and have greater rolling resistance and let’s be honest, it’s a van not a sportscar.
Mike
Wind up merchant!

Postby bigjohnthomas » Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:59 pm

Mike wrote:
Please stop posting complete crap, it’s bloody tedious.

you say that to all the boys :wink:
bigjohnthomas
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby woodbutcherbower » Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:55 pm

I have a 67 plate sport. It’s very quick in the lower gears and gets you away like a rocket ship. But higher gears? There’s a distinct lack of torque IMO and that’s maybe what you’re experiencing. But as another poster has said- it’s a van not a sports car. I’m super happy with mine - and to be totally truthful, I bought it not for boyracer performance - but because it looks mint. The back is tricked out with state-of-the-art racking housing the best kit that money will buy, and customers seeing just that alone has brought in at least £20k’s worth of work in the last six months. If you really want a stupid-fast van,, my advice would be to spend an extra £10k on a 200PS+ Transporter Sportline, or buy a poverty spec Mk.8, forget the warranty, and drop a V8 in it. Just my opinion.
woodbutcherbower
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby jerry howell » Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:19 am

thanks for all the response's guys I'm not looking for a sports car but looks the nuts but has to back the looks up with zip , suppose I am a petrol head to be honest , wouldn't have a transporter want to stick with ford ,its looking more like I'm keeping both my two vans and spending some money on the sport connect engine/exhaust to get some more go out of it ,its mint only made 300 of em so must be a future ?
jerry howell

Return to Transit Custom