*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Hi and help with my battery

The all new 2013 Transit Custom Forum. Transits and Tourneos 2013+

Hi and help with my battery

Postby Vanbiker » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:54 am

Hi, first post and I have a problem !

I've got a 2015 Custom Limited with 27k miles on it and my battery keeps going flat. So, doing a search on here I found some had problems with the interior lights not switching off. So I took the bulbs out until I can find the time to fit an inline switch.

Battery still goes flat after about a week. No other drain on it. Commute to and from work each day, so its a 70 ish mile journey in daylight. Each time the battery seemed to last about a week. I charge it up fully and try again.

So either its the battery, or the alternator, but there are no warning lights on the dash. Oddly, when I park up I have noticed a faint noise coming from he engine bay, a bit like a very distant electronic alarm. Or some solenoid or motor whirring away - is that something draining it ?

I will stick a volt meter on it when I get home, what charge should I get a the battery with the engine running and with it off ?

I don't want to buy a new battery without knowing if its at fault as I do have a warranty which would cover the alternator, so I need to know which it is.

Cheers
Vanbiker

Re: Hi and help with my battery

Postby Altransit » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:10 am

If you have a voltmeter, test the battery at rest having not been charged recently, it should be 12.6v. If not, then the battery could be failing.

Start the engine, and test the voltage running at about 1000rpm, it should be about 14.4v

Turn on all of the electrics, lights, heater blower, screen, etc etc, and test the voltage again at a fast idle, it should still be around 14.4v. If it drops too much, or even below battery rest voltage, 12.6v, then the alternator is failing.
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby Vanbiker » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:36 am

Cheers, will check those volts tonight.
Vanbiker

Postby sparker000 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:38 am

Always good to test the battery, but original Ford batteries have a VERY bad reputation. Even nearly new ones. Lots on the site about battery problems. Not see any posts about alternator problems. If it is the battery I suggest not to replace it with a Ford one but get a good after marker make.
sparker000
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Elecsafe » Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:45 am

Over the years ive found the original batteries to be very good. Considering expected life is around 4-5 years, Ive have a few go to 8 and beyond. I guess driving style and stops/starts all have an impact so difficult to compare really.
Elecsafe
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby bigjohnthomas » Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:14 am

It's when they go flat that fooks em up bruv
Who makes the original battery for ford anyways up ?
Varta ? Yuasa? Or lion :P
Actually I put a lion on my sooty van it were right good
bigjohnthomas
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Vanbiker » Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:53 am

Well I charged it up last night, left it till this morning and got 12.38 volts. Ran the engine, got 14.5 ish volts. Put everything on and still got a similar reading.

So the Alternator seems fine, therefore its likely to be the battery (I'm assuming there is no drain).

Any recommendations for a replacement then, given some say the original Ford ones are rubbish :)

Thanks
Vanbiker

Return to Transit Custom