*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Plug-in hybrid electric transit custom

The all new 2013 Transit Custom Forum. Transits and Tourneos 2013+

Re: Plug-in hybrid electric transit custom

Postby wobblynobbly » Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:56 pm

Nederbelg wrote:Rotary( w***) Engines are not as efficient as piston engines and won't meet any modern Emission Standards!
As Euro5 became standard, the last w*** in a car (Mazda RX7) was discontinued because it failed to meet the norm.

Gr Nederbelg

Thanks, I knew there had to be a reason other than Mazda use it :)

karl wrote:can anyone tell me how they are going to make this possible within the construction industry ? machines and massive dumper trucks in the middle of no were and the only access is generators :roll:

which will burn the diesel fuel they want to ban by 2045 "road vehicles"

so my question is how they going to make construction machinery electric " my answer is never :lol: "

to make more electric means burning more fuel in power station to keep the demand going.

and if they think nuclear is the way ? then were does all that waste go, its toxic and has to be buried under ground out of human contact ! but what about the animals and insects that will live round this waste ?

I'm sure they will get the heavy construction machines working on vodka that way they can get the Eastern European workers to bring it in with them as part of their visa requirements ;)

As for the extra power requirement from the grid to power all this stuff. If they bring back coal fired stations and put a great big EGR valve on the smoke stack. Everytime they have to clean it they will get enough tar out to resurface the A1..win win
Transit 2000 (mk6) 115T330 LX SWB semi hi roof, 55plate Sold on
2018 Custom 280 l1h1 Ltd, Magnetic grey
wobblynobbly
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby richbee » Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:15 pm

clemmy wrote:Yep, sounds interesting but I don't really understand how the range extender works. As far as I know the petrol engine cannot be used to drive the vehicle, but can be used to charge the batteries that power the electric motor. So, if I'm going to drive over large distance in a single trip, I would power up the petrol engine while driving, maybe since the beginning of the trip... So, at the same time while driving, the electric motor will be discharging the battery, and the petrol engine will be recharging it. Is the recharge rate comparable to the discharge one? Will it be able to continue driving until I have petrol in the tank? And when finishing petrol, will I be able to just refill the tank and start over again?

If it's like that, something like that might become my new drive, a few years from now.

Yes, exactly like that, for long distsance it keeps going til you run out of petrol then fill it up and off you go again.
BMW already sell these in their i3 and the Vauxhall ampera was also a range extender - (as was the top gear special electric car with a diesel generator in the back - but probably best not mention that one :lol: )
richbee
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby bambi mk 1 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:05 pm

Life is too short for plugging in ,go diesel or go home ,no poke without smoke :mrgreen:
On the sixth day God created a Sprinter on the seventh he gave it away and bought a TRANSIT
bambi mk 1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby rodp » Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:50 pm

karl wrote:can anyone tell me how they are going to make this possible within the construction industry ? machines and massive dumper trucks in the middle of no were and the only access is generators :roll:

so my question is how they going to make construction machinery electric " my answer is never :lol: "

to make more electric means burning more fuel in power station to keep the demand going.

and if they think nuclear is the way ? then were does all that waste go, its toxic and has to be buried under ground out of human contact ! but what about the animals and insects that will live round this waste ?

I wouldn't worry about it, we all know it can't happen. The weight of the batteries on such as a truck would halve the payload, therefore need twice as many trucks. Where will they put them, roads are full already. Then as you say, construction equipment, and farm equipment, aircraft. The list goes on, and that's not counting all the huge countries abroad who will totally ignore it and keep on burning diesel and petrol. It's all money making pie in the sky being brought in just to fleece every last penny out of us.
rodp
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Mike » Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:12 pm

Where's my tinfoil hat :lol:
Mike
Wind up merchant!

Postby TransitL0ver » Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:17 pm

Hybrid Plug-in are heavy heavy as an elephant.
I'm Ford Transit Lover! Every generation - from MK1 to MK8!
I even have my own FACEBOOK FANPAGE which brings together lovers Ford!
Come and join!
TransitL0ver
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Mike » Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:11 pm

Nederbelg wrote:Yuo are right, i meant the RX8 :oops:

Gr Nederbelg

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/moto ... ybrid-2020
Mike
Wind up merchant!

Postby Nederbelg » Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:19 pm

I've read that too in our newspaper, two days after I wrote my post.

Gr Nederbelg
Nederbelg
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Treespotter » Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:46 pm

so my question is how they going to make construction machinery electric " my answer is never "

karl wrote:so my question is how they going to make construction machinery electric " my answer is never "

Hydrogen Karl, hydrogen!

Wolter
Treespotter
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Turbo_ » Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:04 am

Also now in the Ford web page:

https://www.ford.co.uk/future-vehicles/ ... ustom-phev

Any info when sales and first deliveries will start ?

And how much more expensive this will be compared to current lineup ?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Transit L3H2 -16
Turbo_
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby jinx » Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:29 pm

Sorry but i still cant get my head around how all cars are going to be electric in next coming years. What i cant work out is how are cars going to be charged at home .Seems do-able if every house had a driveway but just in the Welsh valleys alone you only have to drive round to see how many terraced houses there are and being street parking theres no guarantee that you can park outside your house when you get home from work then there are houses that are a long way up from where they park their cars etc etc etc. :? :?
jinx
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby RECKLESS ROAD » Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:02 pm

jinx wrote:Sorry but i still cant get my head around how all cars are going to be electric in next coming years. What i cant work out is how are cars going to be charged at home .Seems do-able if every house had a driveway but just in the Welsh valleys alone you only have to drive round to see how many terraced houses there are and being street parking theres no guarantee that you can park outside your house when you get home from work then there are houses that are a long way up from where they park their cars etc etc etc. :? :?
im just wondering how many years away are we till ford or any manufactuer for that matter actually produce an electric vehicle that would cater for my needs which is a l4 jumbo and can be on a motorway everyday doing between 200- 600 miles a day and if im on a European run 1000 miles a day ? cant see it happening any day soon :( but the government seem to think its any day now, there is a down hill section of the m62 which you can roll down a few miles so 31miles from an electric motor is piss poor really
RECKLESS ROAD
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Turbo_ » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:46 am

They cannot add 700kg-1000kg of battery with that amount of extra weight, then you would not have any loading capacity left (when total vehicle weight is 3500kg in EU).

So either you get max electric range or max loading capacity, not both at same time.
Transit L3H2 -16
Turbo_
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby dumper » Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:04 am

My brother has a amper and on a long run it’s surprising how long the engine comes on for he drives it just like his old focus st he was allways getting a new car ever year or two but as the amper is no longer in production he has no intention of changing it in the for till the battery’s need changing the readout says it’s doing upto 200 mpg he charges it from the electric payback from he’s solar pannels he is self employed refrigeration engineer as soon as vans are available to the same spec as the amper he will get one he says as for the extra weight of the van the government are going to allow battery vans to run heavyer then 3500 kgs on your standard car license to compensate for the weight of the battery’s.
But personally I think it’s all about taxing the sh@t out of us
MK 8 L4 H3 Motorsport campervan
Past camper vans
1974 mk1 v4 with 2.0 pinto fitted
1986 mk3 2.5 di swb
1990 190 lwb 2.5 di
1998 100 lwb 2.5 di
2006 350 jumbo 135 tdci
dumper
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Previous