*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Metal Tyre Valve Cap Warning

The all new 2013 Transit Custom Forum. Transits and Tourneos 2013+

Metal Tyre Valve Cap Warning

Postby wild camper » Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:01 pm

I bought a set of 4 metal tyre valve caps for purely cosmetic reasons about a month ago and fitted them
I went to check the tyre pressures today and 3 of them are seized on. I’ve since read on various websites that this is a common problem because of a galvanic reaction between brass and the metal cap alloy.
I wasn’t aware of this so I thought I’d let those of you who don’t know er know

I’ve also fitted tyre pressure indicators to a friends car (the type that show green when ok or amber or red when the tyre is deflating) because she often neglects to check her tyre pressures properly. The body of thes units is metal too so I’ll have to take them off and lubricate them with copper grease.
I hope this note helps at least one person from being stuck with a problem tyre
wild camper
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: Metal Tyre Valve Cap Warning

Postby Custom155 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:07 pm

Hi,
The metal caps that came with my winter wheels/tyres were stolen within a week along with the spare wheel so fortunately/unfortunately I never got to experience that problem. I love London... Same thing happens with seldom removed alloys against steel disks without copper grease.

Cheers, James.
Custom155
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Metal Tyre Valve Cap Warning

Postby glenandemm » Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:54 pm

when i was a tech at lexus we had a massive issue with these fitted as standard, we had to replace loads and like you say just a dab of grease and you'll be bang on!
glenandemm
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Return to Transit Custom