*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Retrofit spare wheel carrier

The all new 2013 Transit Custom Forum. Transits and Tourneos 2013+

Retrofit spare wheel carrier

Postby clemmy » Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:37 am

Hi,

I've seen some discussion about the spare wheel carrier are already present on the forum, but I'm opening a new discussion because my case looks different... Previous discussions were about people who broke the carrier and needed to replace it. I have no carrier at all, and need to fit one for the first time.

Indeed, I've purchased a second hand 2017 Tourneo Custom that does not have any spare wheel. The underside of the van look like this:

Can I just purchase a kit like this one I've found on eBay? Will it have all the components I need? It looks to me that the carrier on the picture misses something to connect the wheel to the cable, but I'm not sure...

Any other suggestion that I might have overlooked?

Thanks in advance
clemmy
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Retrofit spare wheel carrier

Postby Custom155 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:43 pm

Hi,
I have replaced one of these as someone cut the wire and stole the wheel on my Tourneo. It’s under constant tension so cuts easily..There is also a tethering back up cable with a hand tight threaded fitting which fits onto the bracket which goes through the centre of the spare wheel to which the end of the cable pictured attaches. The part you have pictured is easy to fit (with rivets though). I ended up fitting a Kryptonite bicycle “D” lock which fits through the bracket above where the wheel goes and pointed downwards and went through the wheel bolts holes. Would be a faff to fit on a wet dark night but does the job.

I may be able to take pictures in the next few days if you need more info.

Cheers, James.
Custom155
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby jinx » Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:01 pm

clemmy wrote:Hi,

I've seen some discussion about the spare wheel carrier are already present on the forum, but I'm opening a new discussion because my case looks different... Previous discussions were about people who broke the carrier and needed to replace it. I have no carrier at all, and need to fit one for the first time.

Indeed, I've purchased a second hand 2017 Tourneo Custom that does not have any spare wheel. The underside of the van look like this:

Can I just purchase a kit like this one I've found on eBay? Will it have all the components I need? It looks to me that the carrier on the picture misses something to connect the wheel to the cable, but I'm not sure...

Bloody Pikeys :wink:
Any other suggestion that I might have overlooked?

Thanks in advance
jinx
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby clemmy » Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:26 pm

Custom155 wrote:Hi,
I have replaced one of these as someone cut the wire and stole the wheel on my Tourneo. It’s under constant tension so cuts easily..There is also a tethering back up cable with a hand tight threaded fitting which fits onto the bracket which goes through the centre of the spare wheel to which the end of the cable pictured attaches. The part you have pictured is easy to fit (with rivets though). I ended up fitting a Kryptonite bicycle “D” lock which fits through the bracket above where the wheel goes and pointed downwards and went through the wheel bolts holes. Would be a faff to fit on a wet dark night but does the job.

I may be able to take pictures in the next few days if you need more info.

Cheers, James.

Thanks to your advice I did more research and found out that the kit I posted earlier is not complete: it misses the bracket going through the middle of the wheel, and the backup cable... I found examples of complete kits for older Transit mk6 and similar, but nothing for the Custom. Any suggestion to online shops selling everything I need? Or my only resource is local Ford dealer?

Additional question about your stolen wheel: isn't the cable protected by the wheel itself? I don't understand how could they cut it from the outside? Anyway, nice idea the D shaped bicycle lock as backup :)
clemmy
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby douglasmcbeath136 » Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:01 am

Been wondering about a solution. I don't even have the bolt in the rear boot to unwind so can't buy cradle. Not even space where unwinder bolt would go. Got a tourneo custom 68 plate. The D-lock idea sounds interesting. Does it hold secure with no movement. Wonder if you could rig up some threaded rod somehow or secure a cradle from underneath. Got my spare in the boot at moment. Takes up fair bit space. Any ideas or solutions would be most welcome. Thanks. Doug

Sent from my Mi 9 SE using Tapatalk
douglasmcbeath136
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby dumper » Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:43 am

Ford should have left the spare wheel system the same as what’s fitted to mk 1@2 transits with the cradle that goes underneath the wheel I’ve never heard of one falling off but would be more difficult to steel even with a battery grinder it’s just a cheap system like the door locks and security system.
MK 8 L4 H3 Motorsport campervan
Past camper vans
1974 mk1 v4 with 2.0 pinto fitted
1986 mk3 2.5 di swb
1990 190 lwb 2.5 di
1998 100 lwb 2.5 di
2006 350 jumbo 135 tdci
dumper
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby seikokid » Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:33 pm

you need these parts

seikokid
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby roadpinpaddy » Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:30 am

Hi Custom155 can you post photos of the lock in place and the length of the lock please
Thanks Paddy
roadpinpaddy
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Return to Transit Custom