*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Winter Tyres 16” any recommendations

The all new 2013 Transit Custom Forum. Transits and Tourneos 2013+

Winter Tyres 16” any recommendations

Postby wild camper » Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:56 pm

I’m preparing for winter because all my previous vehicles needed winter tyres to get up a bank outside my house and a steep drive
I’ve always managed with winter tyres on just the front wheels on a FWD vehicle
Can anyone recommend a brand that they’ve used and are impressed with
Also a supplier that gives good value
215/65R 16
With online purchases you have to be careful that the load rating/speed rating that they offer is correct and that they’re suitable for a commercial vehicle
I’ve looked at Black Circles and National, National have some good online discounts but their website is not offering Winter Tyres yet
wild camper
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: Winter Tyres 16” any recommendations

Postby Custom155 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 3:14 pm

Hi,
I use Nokia’s WR C3’s. £115 a corner at Mytyres. Used them in proper conditions in Finland and snowy Scottish forestry tracks with no problems. Great on wet grass slopes too. A bit noisy the open road but grip is great. I have the quieter and less aggressive tread pattered equivalent car versions on my red BMW estate too and always impressed. I’ve never tried other manufacturers though. I have tried all season tyres and found them lacking in proper snow. Better than summer tyres but I’d either go all the way if it’s snow you’re worried about.

Cheers, James.
Custom155
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby aln101tf » Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:48 pm

Hello,
I live in Argyll, where it rains 9 days out of 10 :roll:
Normal van tyres are just too hard for our wet roads. Am I allowed to badmouth some? Both my Mk6 and Mk7 came with Firestone Vanhawks fitted. Terrible tyres. Last for ever, but don't stick to the road.
I always go for good rain tyres on all my vehicles, but a couple of years ago I tried Uniroyal winter tyres on the Mk7, and they're great.
Used them all year round. Well behaved and consistent in all conditions.
They lasted just as well as I would have expected from any non-winter tyre. Not sunny long enough to be a problem :(
Just fitted a second set.
They were 215/75x16 Uniroyal SnowMax 2
Previously had Goodyear Cargo UltraGrip. They were very good too. Be carefull with the name, there is a Goodyear tyre called a Cargo Ultragrip 2 with a bad tread pattern (side grooves blocked).
On a general note, I like 4 matching tyres. Remember its not just about going, balanced stopping is important too.
I usually get my tyres from "Camskill".
Alan
Mk6 125/330 swb lr rwd 2.4L remapped.
Mk7 115/330 swb lr rwd 2.4L remapped.
Custom Tourneo swb 125ps 2.2L remapped and gearing lowered to T340.
aln101tf
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby wild camper » Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:38 am

It’s been a while since I posted this request for recommendations for Winter Tyres
Thanks to all who posted their suggestions
I’ve been trying to get a set but other financial commitments meant that I had to keep postponing the tyre swop
I’ve finally had fitted Hankook Winter RW06 215/65/R16 8 ply 107/109R, speed rating R is plenty speed for me
They get quite good reviews as a proper winter tyre not an all season
I had them fitted to all 4 corners on advice from several people although I’d always only fitted winter tyres on the front of my previous vehicles with no problems
I hope I’m prepared to get up my steep bank if there’s ice or snow
While on the subject of tyres I’m quite impressed with a set of TPMS external wireless sensors I bought off eBay
They work well, are accurate and show a slight increase in pressure and temperature as the tyres warm up
They give a daily reassurance that the pressures are ok, and would give an instant audible and visual alarm of which tyre is at fault if anything went wrong while driving
I was so impressed with mine that I ordered and fitted a set for a friend because she never checks her tyre pressures, now it just give a “bleep” as soon as she drives off to remind her to check the dashboard display
Each sensor weighs only 8 grams so doesn’t upset the wheel balance on a small car never mind a Transit Custom
Just search eBay for “wireless TPMS Sensor” and it brings up loads for about £25 they all come from China, but some entrepreneurs have stocks in th UK which makes shorter delivery times
Give them a try for about £25, I think you’ll be pleased
wild camper
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Return to Transit Custom