*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Speedo types for Euro 5

The all new 2013 Transit Custom Forum. Transits and Tourneos 2013+

Re: Speedo types for Euro 5

Postby gregd72002 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:24 pm

An update in here...

I've finally got my hands on a Level2 speedo (BK2T-10849-LD). I have plugged it in place of my existing speedo BK3T-10849-DH, which is Level 1 speedo.

The van starts fine and the cluster LEDs light as they should. But none of the needles work nor does the display.

So I run IDS and did IPC module replacement in module reprogramming which looks like completed successfully but it did not help.

What can I try next?
gregd72002
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby loot » Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:35 pm

You would never do module replacement with upgraded modules because ids uses the old data to copy from the old module to the new 1 or uses backup data for that purpose so the spec of the speedo in your van originally was low spec and will be corrobetated with the vin.

Hopefully it just ignored you.

Rather go into engineering mode and try to turn on ipc level 2.
56 350 2.2 130ps mk7 with 2 side doors 8)
65 290 2.2 125ps custom with 2 side doors 8)
07 350 170ps
Ids v86 licence + v86.04 update + xprog here
Ids map here
loot
Site Moderator

Postby gregd72002 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:32 pm

tried it just now to no avail.

So I went to IDS and run IPC test. I comes back with C2003 - Steering Wheel Switch Left Module
Any clue what this is?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gregd72002
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby gregd72002 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:10 pm

I cleaned the DTC and has not reappear yet.

When I look at IPC configuration on Forscan I seem to be getting a very limited AB options. One screenshot is from my L1 speedo and the other one from L2 one.
It feels to me like the L2 fails to get initialised correctly. But not sure where to look next.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gregd72002
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Dan T » Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:16 pm

The BCM may need several changes to configure it correctly, but i'd be very skeptical if was possible. Wiring and BCM can differ and then there's the programming scenario to overcome. Not saying it's not possible, but there's significantly more electrical differences between models with these than Mk6's and 7's.
Bare in mind the high spec cluster was predominantly available with Land Departure Warning, so any wiring, modules or sensors associated with this may directly affect the ability or inability to communicate with the cluster you are trying to install.
Dan T
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby gregd72002 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:22 pm

Thanks Dan. I have realised that it might be not as simple. I do have access to a small database of VINs (~2k across 2013/14/15) and their modules and indeed the Level2 speedo has been installed only on vans with IPMA (Lane departure module).

I do have some spare time on hands so gonna give it a go anyways. I am currently looking at changing the some of the software on the speedo
gregd72002
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Dan T » Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:29 pm

Remember IPMB
I looked at wiring looms/BCM a while back and after digesting all the info, came to the conclusion they were different. The BCM's functionality certainly varys with Fuse slots capped at one side on certain things...

It may be do-able, but it may be luck in the end that gets you there.
Dan T
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby gregd72002 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:04 pm

All done and all works!! It turned out that the IPC unit I have bought had a PCB fault, which turned out to be very obvious and easy to fix. You get what you paid for I guess...

Some other findings:
- IPC does not seem to be coded to the van - it seems to be plug and play, you can swap them as you wish
- you do not need IPMA or IPMB module (lane assist) to have l2 speedo (I'm now on stock software of BK2T-10849-LD and my Trend does not have any of these modules)
- EU l2 speedo version have part number -L* while UK have -M*, and the only difference between them is the background markings mph-kmh. So BK2T-10849-LD is the same as BK2T-10849-MD but the background
- you do need steering wheel controls so it is not a straight forward swap for Custom Basic but it should be a simple swap for Trend and Limited
- UCDSYS is a very useful tool! :)
gregd72002
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby loot » Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:41 am

Great stuff 8)

So as expected/hoped for it is similar to the mk7 in that since it is can bus, if there is no module for lane assist then there are no can messages but it doesn't flag up an error as it just isn't setting them.

In ids you can do a network test and missing modules don't respond and ids tells you but in normal use there's no vehicle issues.

In the custom is the squib level the same from basic to high spec? Steering control module?

What is the difference? And I'd it just a plug and play from Low to high spec and add the buttons?
07 350 170ps
Ids map here
loot
Site Moderator

Postby gregd72002 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:13 pm

loot wrote:In the custom is the squib level the same from basic to high spec? Steering control module?

As far as I can say the speedo is the same (I went through quite a few vehicles to compare the modules). I haven't compered the steering control module though...

loot wrote:What is the difference? And I'd it just a plug and play from Low to high spec and add the buttons?

It does looks like. But again the steering control module is a good question. Thinking further - does low spec have radio control buttons? Also, if you need to replace steering control module, do you need to retrofit voice & cruise control?

Concluding - if you already have all the steering control buttons already this should be an easy upgrade.
gregd72002
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby loot » Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:38 pm

I'm sure I've seen base spec without the lower buttons so that would mean no cruise and no radio /voice functions. I think I recall seeing variations in the wheel main buttons though but I'm not sure.

Basically the modules are like a spider each has the legs which goes to input /outputs which are resistance based or ground based and then the body being the middle and obviously 2 twisted wires that connect to the network. The main network linking the modules but let's not talk about lin bus.

Anyway. The module will be A/B/C etc level which will internally be populated with the relevant amount of electronics to allow it to perform its functions.

And the legs may or may not go anywhere, which isn't the problem unless it was the pcm/bcm/ipc which all are deemed necessary and all have backup data on and needed to function.

I'm just spit balling here lol.

So it makes sense that the steering module will be upgraded to allow the voice /radio /cruise functions to work but they will first need to be programmed in via config(which might also require some other software alterations or bcm upgrade).

So the main experiment is like to see is bcm/pcm/ipc replacement.

Did you say there was no issue with the speedo? When you do a scan and look in technician viewer does it show the ipc original vin number? Is it purely there just for identifying stolen parts? Or is there a relationship between them all?
07 350 170ps
Ids map here
loot
Site Moderator

Postby gregd72002 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:55 pm

Does it help if I tell you that the van starts and drives perfectly without the speedo in? ;)

I've done this test and think speedo is not critical component of the network. But without speedo my voice control did not work... something for somebody else to figure out :)
gregd72002
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby loot » Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:13 pm

No the pcm and bcm are needed, the speedo isn't and is plug and play but obviously needs some other configuration probably to get it fully working as the bcm needs to be configured to clocks level 2.
I did come into problems when reprogramming and using a different speedo and I tried restoring backup and it wouldn't correct but when I put the old one in it corrected. This all on mk7 mind but I can only use correlations to try and see what is similar and what is different. We could ask ford or continental but I think we know the answer to that :lol:

Be cool to know though, as regarding upgrades etc.

I'd love adaptive cruise control and sync 3 with android 8)

I have sat nav radio too which would be nice to sell and install.

Might never happen and I might be forced to sell my van or something :(
07 350 170ps
Ids map here
loot
Site Moderator

Postby Chris1227 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:09 pm

Sorry for re bumping this post . I'm looking for.a bit.pf advice.ive fitted the level 2 clocks and adjusted the mileage which as worked spot on however I'm missing the tpms and also the ability to disable the esp through the menu , I've copied the as build data over which as not done anything . However on the dtc scan it's still showing not programmed . When I look at the ipc main backup its showing not programmed for each tick box. Is it just a case of backing up the old data in this section and writing it to the new clocks ?
Chris1227

Postby loot » Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:36 pm

Asbuilt only tells the bcm what modules and settings are fitted.

You need to go into configuration and make sure speedo level 2 and any other related configuration settings are on.

When you configure something not standard you need to turn it on or off in configuration because you are bypassing the original asbuilt of your van.

So either emulate another vehicle fully and use its modules and asbuilt or do the above.

You may need to replace other modules though :(

If you call up the list of modules you'll see shed loads. You may swap the speedo but you may need the steering wheel module, or others. I don't have the info or equipment to figure out out.

You could try an asbuilt of the same van as the speedo came from, it'll probably throw lots of codes, hopefully it won't cause the can bus to switch off (that'll stop your speedo working) it may lie you it working but I'll expect a load of codes for other things though as you'll have lower spec Everything possibly.

But you can swap asbuilt back. You need the asbuilt from a van that is near as damn it the same as yours, the closer it is the less fault codes you'll get.

Try configure first though.
07 350 170ps
Ids map here
loot
Site Moderator

Previous

Return to Transit Custom