*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Attaching a hardwood floor

The all new 2013 Transit Custom Forum. Transits and Tourneos 2013+

Attaching a hardwood floor

Postby Balkan Boy » Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:41 pm

Hello all from a new Transit owner.
My Custom (L1H1 cargo van) is stuck in actual customs for a few more days, and I've been searching for a solution on how to attach a hardwood floor in the cargo-space.
I'm trying to avoid drilling the metal floor, but I can't find any other solution. Beside the obvious floor protection, the hardwood panel will be used to secure a wheel chock for transporting motorbikes, so it really needs to be attached to the vehicle.

The panel I intend to use is 2500x1250mm, and I expect it to slot in one peace between the wheel arches. Van is 2550x1350mm.
What is a reasonable board thickness to use? I can get it from 9mm to 20mm.

Cheers,

P.S.
I've searched the forum thoroughly, but haven't found mention of this for MK8 that has factory tie down rings in the sides.
Balkan Boy
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Attaching a hardwood floor

Postby FJ111200 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:25 am

All I've done is got some ¾" ply of the right length and wedged it between the wheel arches.
When I carry one of the bikes I lean it on the sidestand only, and then one cargo ratchet strap from each fork leg to the front hooks and then one through the rear wheel to the 2 rear hooks.
I have got wheel chock but never used it because like you say it need to be attached to the wooden floor panel, but it's not hard to do is it?
One of the lads I've seen at a meeting straps the chock in the middle of the floor via the 2 front cargo hooks.
If you go without the chock then use a large block of wood to stop the front wheel of the bike damaging the bottom of the bulkhead when pulled tight, but really you don't want it tight as you know because the bike needs some fork spring action.
When I was a bike recovery technician we were instructed to have the bike on the sidestand when in transit so that it was on 3 contact points with the floor for a more secure load, and I've done it that way ever since.
:idea: :lol: :roll:
FJ111200
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby vanvliet » Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:37 pm

If you are from the UK - - -
Wellhouse Leisure bond their campervan floors to the steel floor. As long as you do not intend removing it then it would be a solid professional job. I would seriously consider fitting their full-length flush fitting floor rails at this stage as they are so versatile and can be used to mount tool boxes/cookers/seating or fittings to hold bikes and motorbikes. Worth asking if Wellhouse might fit a floor and rails for you ( at a price ) as they have the floor pattern and the rails so it would be very straightforward - - -
As a qualified Ford vehicle modifier, they would also ensure that there were no insurance problems as these floors pass all of the related pull /crash tests. Just a thought.
https://wellhouseleisure.com/
vanvliet
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Balkan Boy » Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:20 pm

Thanks for the comments.

FJ111200 wrote:All I've done is got some ¾" ply of the right length and wedged it between the wheel arches.
When I carry one of the bikes I lean it on the sidestand only, and then one cargo ratchet strap from each fork leg to the front hooks and then one through the rear wheel to the 2 rear hooks.
I have got wheel chock but never used it because like you say it need to be attached to the wooden floor panel, but it's not hard to do is it?
One of the lads I've seen at a meeting straps the chock in the middle of the floor via the 2 front cargo hooks.
If you go without the chock then use a large block of wood to stop the front wheel of the bike damaging the bottom of the bulkhead when pulled tight, but really you don't want it tight as you know because the bike needs some fork spring action.
When I was a bike recovery technician we were instructed to have the bike on the sidestand when in transit so that it was on 3 contact points with the floor for a more secure load, and I've done it that way ever since.

I'll be loading the bike by myself most of the time, so I decided on the chock to make it easier.
I got the Acebike chock that can be removed easily if need be. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04vQzrFnB1c
I've tried it in the garage and it's pretty secure.
Any additional bikes will be secured with ratchet straps in usual manner.

vanvliet wrote:If you are from the UK - - -
Wellhouse Leisure bond their campervan floors to the steel floor. As long as you do not intend removing it then it would be a solid professional job. I would seriously consider fitting their full-length flush fitting floor rails at this stage as they are so versatile and can be used to mount tool boxes/cookers/seating or fittings to hold bikes and motorbikes. Worth asking if Wellhouse might fit a floor and rails for you ( at a price ) as they have the floor pattern and the rails so it would be very straightforward - - -
As a qualified Ford vehicle modifier, they would also ensure that there were no insurance problems as these floors pass all of the related pull /crash tests. Just a thought.
https://wellhouseleisure.com/

I thought about gluing the board.
I saw some people glue narrow planks in a grid to the metal floor, and then screw the hardwood/plywood panel to the planks. I'd have to source a good adhesive for this.

Plan is to fit rails that you mentioned along the length of the floor. Need to source or make those rails as well.
Something like this:

Nothing is simple or as easy as hiring a service where I am.
The company you linked makes some really nice conversions. It's not an option for me, however.
Balkan Boy
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby vanvliet » Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:41 pm

Companies doing conversions for the disabled ( seats and wheelchair restraints) often use the UNWIN rail track system. Component parts are not too expensive, are available via eBay and they accommodate the' quick release hooks' which can be placed anywhere along the rail. Rails can be flush fit ( neatest solution IMO) or fitted on top of the floor
Wellhouse use the German Schnierle system which is very similar
I previously had a mazda bongo campervan - screwed marine ply sheet floor to leveling strips which I had bonded to the floor - worked a treat
Good luck!

https://www.schnierle.de/
https://unwinsafety.com/
https://unwinsafety.com/shop/camper-van ... kit-2.html
vanvliet
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby vanvliet » Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:48 pm

If you can stand to drill through the floor - - - - -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZlnHZHNYWM
vanvliet
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Balkan Boy » Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:58 pm

We're on the same wavelength.
I stumbled upon Unwin rails today and it does seem like an elegant solution.
Balkan Boy
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby vanvliet » Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:04 pm

Koller make similar rails
I use these Cargo hooks on my rails
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10-x-Cargo-h ... 3697465219
vanvliet
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby vanvliet » Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:54 pm

vanvliet
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Balkan Boy » Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:29 pm

Thanks mate.
I got the van home this afternoon.
Only had time for a test fit. First thing on the list is a ramp!
I'm a bit sore (and broke) after all the taxes so I'll have to plan carefully.

Balkan Boy
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby FJ111200 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:07 pm

Balkan Boy wrote: First thing on the list is a ramp!

I use a 1⅝" scaffolding plank cut to length just short of the interior of the van. Less than 1⅝" and you're limited as to what weight of bike you can run up the ramp without it seriously bending.
Is that bike you've got there a 250? A thinner ramp would be ok with that, but I use bikes from 800 to 1200cc which requires a sturdy piece of wood.
FJ111200
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Gavin-T » Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:25 am

I just siliconed 18mm plywood to the plastic load liner that was in my van. 4 years on, no problems at all and not a single screw through the floor. If I ever need to remove it all the silicone will peel right off the liner, no trouble.
Gavin-T
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Balkan Boy » Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:55 pm

Yes, the bike is 300ccm and fairly light at around 110kg.

I'm leaning towards gluing the strips to the floor and screwing the panel to the strips. However, I can only afford to lose 30-40mm of height in the load-space.
It seems a shame to drill trough the body if there are other options.
Balkan Boy
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby FJ111200 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:53 pm

Here's a picture of the back of my van. Plywood jammed in and a block at the bulkhead to stop the front wheel distorting it.
Have you tried strapping the bike down like I said using the 3 points of the wheels and sidestand? How much room is there before the handlebars touch the roof? You'll gain some space by not using the chock.
But remember this, going into the load area through the back doors the forks will be under slight compression, as you know, and coming out they will slightly extended due to the rearward force.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
FJ111200
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Balkan Boy » Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:17 am

Before the van I used a trailer to haul bikes, and I was never pleased with how much load is put on the suspension on the longer trip.
It was almost as if I rode the bike the entire distance. Side stand on these bikes is a decoration. I wouldn't use it for transport.

That's why I want to try the chock and this wheel strap: https://www.acebikes.com/en/product/10/1/tyrefix-tie-down-system
Chock is very good, but I haven't tried the strap yet. It needs tiedown points close to the wheel.

Height in the loadspace is 1430-1450mm.
Bike (in the chock) is about 1270mm without compressing the suspension. With around 40mm for the hardwood floor I should just scrape in.
Balkan Boy
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Next

Return to Transit Custom