*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

New battery flat after being left a week!

The all new 2013 Transit Custom Forum. Transits and Tourneos 2013+

New battery flat after being left a week!

Postby glenandemm » Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:24 pm

As above replaced my battery with a new one a month or so ago and left it until tonight while I had Christmas off, came to start it and absolutely nothing at all not even the interior lights or the usual flat battery clicking that’s how dead it was!!
Is there any known drains on these transits while they’re sitting about etc I could check out or am I best just throwing another battery in as I believe people say these are really power hungry and should have had 2 batteries fitted as standard?
glenandemm
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Re: New battery flat after being left a week!

Postby jinx » Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:46 pm

When i purchased my van last DEC 6 months old my battery was going flat overnight.I called the AA out and he did a test and said my something was staying on causing my battery to discharge overnight,long story short it turned out to be a faulty tow bar module and has been perfect since even when left for 3 weeks holiday and as far as i am aware i only have 1 battery
jinx
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby glenandemm » Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:08 pm

I thought I had a yuasa battery fitted but just checked its one of those lion battery’s euro sell, I believe they’re sheet so I’m gonna whip it back for an exchange tomorrow but I’ll see if they’ll let me upgrade it to a Bosch or something too to rule a bad battery out!
glenandemm
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Kardaani » Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:35 pm

I have twin battery in my 2014 custom. Never problems with startbattery, but the second drains flat during a week. Secondary is brand new, OEM Varta and the startbattery same original, but tested to be "great condition". Secondarys Discharge current is about 200mA when parked and doors locked. I dont know is that 200mA ok or not?
By math: 70Ah / 0,2A = 350hours/24h = 14,5days to discharge copletely from 100% to 0%. Main problem with low battery comes when eber wont start heating under 11.8V
Kardaani
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby glenandemm » Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:00 am

Out of interest if I wanted to fit a second battery is it just a case of plonking another battery in the space next to the other one and running a live and earth jump lead from the first battery?
Its not stop start etc so would it need any ecu settings changed or would it just work?
glenandemm
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Altransit » Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:31 am

glenandemm wrote:Out of interest if I wanted to fit a second battery is it just a case of plonking another battery in the space next to the other one and running a live and earth jump lead from the first battery?

You can do it like that, and it would double the available power. This is the setup used in the Mk6 and earlier vans, but the Mk7 uses a split setup, where the starter and aux batteries are isolated when the engine isn't running. This would be the same setup on the Custom and Mk8 when factory fitted, but to add the second battery, you would need to add a relay (and the leads)to the under seat fuse box, and enable the twin batteries in the BCM settings, using IDS.
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby glenandemm » Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:36 am

Cheers pal I think I might just throw another battery under then so the battery doesn’t flatten so quickly!
glenandemm
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Balkan Boy » Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:34 pm

I've been thinking about putting a battery tender under the seat to maintain the battery.
Only flaw in the plan is that I'll have to park it right up to house window. :D
Balkan Boy
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby sezyal » Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:37 pm

Kardaani wrote:I have twin battery in my 2014 custom. Never problems with startbattery, but the second drains flat during a week. Secondary is brand new, OEM Varta and the startbattery same original, but tested to be "great condition". Secondarys Discharge current is about 200mA when parked and doors locked. I dont know is that 200mA ok or not?
By math: 70Ah / 0,2A = 350hours/24h = 14,5days to discharge copletely from 100% to 0%. Main problem with low battery comes when eber wont start heating under 11.8V

Ford manual I have says typical 20mA drain on a parked custom.200mA is too much. Any chargers fitted which may drain it?

"It is recommended that the total Ampere
consumption, in sleep mode, from the auxiliary
battery, does not exceed 100mA. This is because
BMS will not be able to accurately correlate the
battery state of charge. Note there is
approximately 20mA of key off load from existing
Ford fit systems so the additional maximum is
80mA of converter fit system. Any third party
installations should ideally be activated via
Ignition or engine RUN. However, a sleep mode of
100mA is still high and will lead to deep discharge.
The High Performance Deep Cycle AGM batteries
option should be pulled if greater than 5mA in
sleep mode of additionally fitted systems.
Regardless of battery system, it will still be
required to frequently charge when at long periods
of engine off."
2014 Tourneo Custom 155 SWB Titanium Plus
Stratosphere Blue
+18" Sport Wheels
+HID Kit
sezyal
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Kardaani » Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:34 pm

Thanks for info. Guess i need to take it to the Ford for some repairment. Where did you got that manual you said? I havent seen nothing like that on my manual or in BEMM from etis.
Kardaani
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Return to Transit Custom