*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Sync 3 Touchscreen / APIM Removal

The all new 2013 Transit Custom Forum. Transits and Tourneos 2013+

Re: Sync 3 Touchscreen / APIM Removal

Postby DeRo » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:06 pm

Mike wrote:
DeRo wrote:if you're ok to have your phone plugged in to use carplay

I thought Carplay was wireless? :?

My owner's manual says "Connect your device to a USB port" for Carplay and Android...

It's the only way mine works, If there is a non wired way I'll happily take it!
2018 Custom Limited 280 L1H1 130ps Auto Magnetic Grey
DeRo
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Getawayhs2 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:09 pm

I tried Waze once and it couldn't navigate the first simple route I tried so I uninstalled it - I use nav every day and need reliability, and from what I read (and I may be wrong) it gets only gets traffic from other Waze users which there aren't enough of for it to be effective. I also don't like the idea of relying on data to use navigation. And don't bother with Sygic as it is useless, full of bugs and I think they know it as I got a full refund within seconds of complaining.

I have my Sony Xperia Premium (which has a decent screen) running Tom Tom Go mounted on Brodit dock where the rear view mirror would be, and I will use them in tandem to see how the Ford traffic compares (I find Tom tom is excellent). The phone is fine 95% of the time but I wanted the factory nav with the obviously better GPS reception for those occasions in the city when the phone loses its bearings.

The joke is, all this effort and expense trying to get it as good as the £300 Pumkin Android device I had in the old van :roll:
2018 Transit Custom Auto Limited 280 L1H1 Orange Glow with BLIS & LED Lights
Getawayhs2
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby mic71 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:19 pm

I have a face lift custom sport that I ordered with adaptive cruise control, this also then gives you speed sign detection on the instrument display. I ordered without nav.
I am thinking of installing a new apim.
My questions are.
When using your new Ford navigation do you get turn info pop up on your instrument display( the one between the dials)?
Is the speed sign detection more reliable?
Thanks for all the info on installing how do you find using your new nav?
I can make the doorbell ring any time I want, all I have to do is go to the toilet.
mic71
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby hughesyn » Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:09 pm

Mk8 owner here, but I can't be bothered with Android Auto because you have to plug in.
Yes, the factory Nav is crap.
But if I want to use my phone to navigate, I just use the phone screen.
Also have a TomTom, better graphics and usability than Waze or Google on the phone.
The Sync 3 screen is great for radio and phone calls tho.
2023 Mk8 DCIV 170 auto L3H2
hughesyn
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby eddy_gun@hotmail.com » Thu Aug 20, 2020 12:42 am

i want to put a radio out a fiesta mk8 cant seem to fine APIM were would it be on my 2019 custom trend ??
eddy_gun@hotmail.com

Postby eddy_gun@hotmail.com » Thu Aug 20, 2020 12:43 am

Getawayhs2 wrote:So, after much trail and error I have managed to replace my APIM (with one I got off ebay for a couple of hundred quid) and now have the factory navigation up and running with F7 maps :D
So for anyone else in future looking for how to do this, here you go:
- Drop the glovebox by pushing in on the retainers with a flat screwdriver, I found it easier to release the right-hand side first
- Above the glovebox behind the airbag, the APIM is located on a metal shelf, the shelf is held up by two 10mm nuts
- Reach up into the void and undo the two nuts, you can then drop down the whole thing and unscrew the APIM from the its mount (if you have enough slack on the cables)

If you need more slack on the cables, you have to remove the screen and dash section
- Using a plastic pry tool, remove the cover behind the screen and undo the three hex screws
- Lift screen away and disconnect the cables
- Remove the two hex screws holding the piano black dash
- The dash and then be gently pried off by pulling the right side and using a pry tool at the edge, working round with left side coming away last (I did this twice and seems the best way)
- You can now disconnect/unclip the cables to the APIM to gain some slack

do you have any photos ??
eddy_gun@hotmail.com

Postby eddy_gun@hotmail.com » Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:52 am

i need some advice i wana put a sync3 in my mk8 ford transit custom could anyone help me i have a ford fiesta mk8 to put in
eddy_gun@hotmail.com

Postby eddy_gun@hotmail.com » Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:37 pm

Getawayhs2 wrote:Anyone know how to get to the APIM module for this please - 2018 facelift Custom? I've bought an APIM with the navigation and need to swap them over

do you have any photos of the apim ?
eddy_gun@hotmail.com

Postby joke 35 » Sat Jan 08, 2022 7:04 pm

Getawayhs2 wrote:So, after much trail and error I have managed to replace my APIM (with one I got off ebay for a couple of hundred quid) and now have the factory navigation up and running with F7 maps :D
So for anyone else in future looking for how to do this, here you go:
- Drop the glovebox by pushing in on the retainers with a flat screwdriver, I found it easier to release the right-hand side first
- Above the glovebox behind the airbag, the APIM is located on a metal shelf, the shelf is held up by two 10mm nuts
- Reach up into the void and undo the two nuts, you can then drop down the whole thing and unscrew the APIM from the its mount (if you have enough slack on the cables)

If you need more slack on the cables, you have to remove the screen and dash section
- Using a plastic pry tool, remove the cover behind the screen and undo the three hex screws
- Lift screen away and disconnect the cables
- Remove the two hex screws holding the piano black dash
- The dash and then be gently pried off by pulling the right side and using a pry tool at the edge, working round with left side coming away last (I did this twice and seems the best way)
- You can now disconnect/unclip the cables to the APIM to gain some slack

do yo have the module serial no for the unit thanks
joke 35

Postby Transitory Travel2 » Sat Sep 24, 2022 1:54 am

Thank you, joke 35, for the details regarding the removal process for the Sync 3 head unit and location of wiring and locations of the APIM for a Ford Transit. I stumbled on this forum after exhaustively searching all over the internet for someone that has experienced issues related to the Sync3 system. I assume that this is the British-UK/Ford Transit Forum as opposed to the Ford Transit Forum USA, to which I also belong. I have addressed my issues on the USA Ford Transit Forum as well as other Ford Forums, with little response on resolution of my Synci3 problems. So, will have a go at it on this forum.

I own a 2017 Ford Transit 350 XLT passenger wagon Mid Roof. It is equipped with the factory installed Sync3 Navigation System. Up until several months ago the system performed flawlessly. With no warning the speech recognition function quit working. Specifically, on phone calls I could initiate a call or answer a call, with the steering wheel controls, and could clearly hear the called party, however they cannot hear me. I also discovered that the voice commands for changing the radio, calling a party in my phone directory, or calling up music mp3’s no longer functioned either.

I have reached out to various “fixit” websites, Ford, you tube, online Q & A mechanics and have performed all of the suggestions for correcting this problem which did not of these solved the issue; the suggested fixes were as follows:
1) Upgraded software which I performed as instructed on the Ford Sync software website, downloading to a desktop computer and installing upgrade via the van USB port with a thumb drive.
2) A general reset several times before and after the software upgrade.
3) A master reset several times before and after the upgraded software
4)Pulling the Sync3, 7.5 amp fuse for 10 minutes, reinstalling, open door, close door and start van.
5)Disconnect battery terminal for 10 minutes and reconnected.
6)Tried several difference Samsung android phones, all satisfactorily syncing with the Bluetooth functionality.

None of these suggestion fixed the problem.

Since this happened rather suddenly, I have suspected that maybe there could be loose connection(s) between the APIM module and the microphones mounted in the light switch panel under the forward storage shelf. The mileage is a little over 30,000 miles and we have not traversed washboard roads, but suppose large bumps could have jarred something lose. I have found some pinout diagrams for the 51 pin connector on the back of the APIM module and see there is a MIC + & - connection, however, wondering if there are any other connectors in the cabling between the APIM plug and the microphones that could have jarred loose.

And so that may be my next step , but have been reluctant to tear into the dash without knowing what I’m doing, but thanks to your steps, guess I’m ready to do this before taking to a Ford dealer and be charged $1,300 + to “fix” it or buying a new APIM unit on ebay, which is significantly less than what Ford would charge.

And so before I do tear into the dash I have two questions:

1) Have you or anyone you know of on this forum experienced the problem I’m having with the lack of Sync system response to voice commands? And what was the resolution to the problem?

2)You, having delved into the innards of the Sync system, are you aware of any other connection points that may be suspect? If so, could you point me to them?

Thanks for all suggestions, recommendations and info.

I
Transitory Travel2

Postby mic71 » Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:15 am

HELP!

i have a 2021 custom.. doesnt seem to be an apim in either location.
there is a box behind the screen where the screen plugs in but it doesnt look like the apim unit and doesnt have the large connector with the lever on it ???
I can make the doorbell ring any time I want, all I have to do is go to the toilet.
mic71
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Previous

Return to Transit Custom