*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Limp Mode ‘Engine Service Now’ HELP

The all new 2013 Transit Custom Forum. Transits and Tourneos 2013+

Limp Mode ‘Engine Service Now’ HELP

Postby Jord3041 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:55 pm

Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone has experienced anything similar to me, so yesterday I decided to give my van it’s usual clean nothing out the ordinary, didn’t clean the engine bay or anything. Then later that evening took the van out and 5 minutes down the road ‘engine service now’ pops up on the dash which I thought was weird as ford serviced it less than 5k miles ago. (Van now on 33k miles, 65 plate 2.2 125 trend) so anyway carried on driving not thinking much of it and got to a round about and went to pull away and it wouldn’t go above 2k revs... so the van had gone into limp mode which I thought was weird as it’s never skipped a beat but maybe a coinsedence as I had just cleaned it? Anyway rolling bump started it and the fault cleared and all was normal again and then 5 minutes later it pops back up again so a couple moments later I rolling bump it again and it clears and I carry on my journey and it doesn’t come up again. Went out there this morning checked under the bonnet, looked at all connectors and all looked Fine to the eye. So plugged my scanner in and it showed MAF air flow to high (will attach picture)

Done a little research online and seen a few posts of similar things throwing that same error code and symptoms but with a few different culprits and none actually being the MAF Sensor it self. So just hoping if anyone has experienced something similar if they can shed some light. I’m hoping it was a hiccup but the real test will be tomorrow when I’m off to work again but I have my doubts that this is the end of it.

Many thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jord3041

Re: Limp Mode ‘Engine Service Now’ HELP

Postby Jord3041 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:07 pm

UPDATE: after driving the van around today it seems to be gradually getting worse and going into limp a lot more often now but still resets every time the van is restarted
Jord3041

Postby sowden87 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:21 pm

i had the same problem had serviced probably less than 5k , i done the foot trick reset and it went off for about a week , now its back and the eml light is on and wont go off , had loads of issues apart from this but think this is a common fault
sowden87

Postby Frag » Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:21 pm

Have a look at the intercooler outlet pipe on o/s,they can chafe through on head of alternator mounting bolt,there will usually be a bit of oil about if this has happened.

If not that,and your scanner is capable,have a look at inlet air temp,if it's not close to ambient temp or reasonable,it's highly likely the sensor in intercooler is faulty.
(Be careful as there are 2 inlet air temp sensors.)

Highly unlikely to be the MAF sensor itself.
Frag
Ford Technician

Postby Jord3041 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:34 pm

Frag wrote:Have a look at the intercooler outlet pipe on o/s,they can chafe through on head of alternator mounting bolt,there will usually be a bit of oil about if this has happened.

If not that,and your scanner is capable,have a look at inlet air temp,if it's not close to ambient temp or reasonable,it's highly likely the sensor in intercooler is faulty.
(Be careful as there are 2 inlet air temp sensors.)

Highly unlikely to be the MAF sensor itself.

Thank you very helpful
Jord3041

Postby dublina » Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:28 pm

Hi Jord3041

Did you solve your problem ?.

I have a similar problem on a Mk8 Euro 5 engine with 38K km on the clock. In my case the ACT ( Air Charge Temp ) is reading 45C at startup, despite the ambient temp reading 10C. Once it reaches circa 70C, which happens very quickly, the engine service light comes on and it goes into limp mode. I know that the intercooler is not helping as the vehicle is stationary so not sure if this rapid rise in temp is normal. Does anyone have any idea of what a normal ACT would be for this engine when the vehicle is idle ?

Additionally I have removed the intercooler ( ACT ) sensor and tested same with an ohm meter. It appears that the sensor is working, as the ohm reading drops when hot air is applied. However without having the factory spec for the sensor, I can't tell whether it's working as designed. I suspect not and propose to purchase a sensor to eliminate this sensor from the equation. In the interim, would anyone know what a normal Ohm reading should be for this sensor ?

I have also checked the pipe work on both sides of the intercooler and all seem to be in good condition i.e. no holes or leaks as far as I can see, so I am pretty sure it's a sensor issue.

Finally could somebody just confirm that there are only two air temp sensors. A sensor just in front of the Air box which I believe is a combination MAF and Intake Air Temp. If I remove the wiring connector I loose the MAF and Intake Air Temp on the live readout so suspect it's a TMAF sensor. The second sensor appears to be the Air Charge Temp sensor on the outlet side of the intercooler. Is that it or have I missed a sensor somewhere ?

Finally it looks to me that the MAP sensor is on the plastic air intake just below the throttle box housing. Is that correct ?

Any suggestions, photos or info. would be much appreciated. All very difficult without a manual. Seems Haynes have as yet not produced a manual for the Mk 8.
dublina

Postby dublina » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:26 pm

Follow the link below for update and resolution of this issue

viewtopic.php?f=64&t=191158
dublina

Postby Ipswichdad » Tue Dec 22, 2020 4:06 pm

Check your turbo pipes. The MAF code gets thrown up when there is a hole in the pipe. After changing MAF and AAT I still had this MAF code coming up.
There is a little bolt on the alternator that runs on the turbo pipe and causes a hole. It's a bit of a swine job but the new hose is about £30.
The only issue then (if you've been running your van around) is trying to clear the MAF memory as it will keep throwing up a code as it's longer term memory is out.
Ipswichdad

Return to Transit Custom