*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Transit Custom Kombi seat coversion

The all new 2013 Transit Custom Forum. Transits and Tourneos 2013+

Transit Custom Kombi seat coversion

Postby Aeris 145 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:13 pm

Hi,

I am new to this forum and have had a look around to see if my question had already been asked but could not find the answer so apologies if it has been and I couldn't find it.

I am looking into getting a van that I would use for sleeping in and transporting bikes around. Ideally I would like a Custom Combi (1 row of seats in back bulkhead removed) with a 2 plus 1 split seat style that the tourneo has. The reason for this is that mostly I would remove the single seat allowing space for bikes up the side. I would then fold the double seat backs down and create some sort of wooden platform to sleep on. Occasionally it would be handy to remove all the seats too. The reasons to avoid the Tourneo are 1 - price and 2 I do not want to have windows in the back. So my question is can I buy a Combi, remove both the bulkhead and bench seats and replace them with some from a tourneo? Ebay have some for sale that come with the long brackets to fit to the floor. I am hoping that it would be a simple case of attaching these brackets in place of the existing combi seat brackets. Has anyone done this and know how easy it is to do?

Many thanks,
Dave
Aeris 145

Re: Transit Custom Kombi seat coversion

Postby richbee » Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:46 pm

There quite a few threads about fitting tourneo seats to normal vans - it's not all that easy - depends on how to fix the brackets to the floor - whether the captive nuts are already in place etc.

With the crew bus - Double Cab In Van (DCIV), which is what you are referring to - 2 rows of seats - total 6 with a bulkhead (Kombi is a cheap, 8/9 seat version of the Tourneo in transit speak, unlike the Kombi for VW T5/T6).

I have the long version of the DCIV, and I can fit bikes full length in the back behind the bulkhead, without removing anything - I can also sleep in there, a double airbed fits nicely between the wheel arches.

I might look at come sort of conversion at some point, but for now I can transport 6 people and have had 5 complete mountain bikes in the back without removing anything.
richbee
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Return to Transit Custom