*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Confused re snow chains size inner wheel clearance to shock

The all new 2013 Transit Custom Forum. Transits and Tourneos 2013+

Re: Confused re snow chains size inner wheel clearance to sh

Postby Nederbelg » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:43 pm

Snow chains produce the best traction with fairly high wheelslip (+/-40%). Winter tyres have the best traction whith much lower wheelslip (~2%) The ESP/ traction control limits the wheelslip and therefore the traction you could get whith chains.

Therefore ESP "Off" whith chains and "On" when you're whithout chains.

Gr Nederbelg
Nederbelg
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: Confused re snow chains size inner wheel clearance to sh

Postby sparker000 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:51 am

Nederbelg wrote:Snow chains produce the best traction with fairly high wheelslip (+/-40%). Winter tyres have the best traction whith much lower wheelslip (~2%) The ESP/ traction control limits the wheelslip and therefore the traction you could get whith chains.

Therefore ESP "Off" whith chains and "On" when you're whithout chains.

Gr Nederbelg

Thanks,I know with traditional chains this is always the case. I have copied info below for Spike Spider ladder chains and this says it works with ABS and traction systems. It has something to do with the ladder chains being able to move around the tyre I think. Still this is why a made to comment about turning traction off. I agree with your info above and that these still work better without traction control.

"The fastest and easiest chain to fit, (2) suits all tyres, even where there's a "No fit" for conventional chains, (3) can be used with traction control and ABS, (4) can be resized to fit almost every tyre!"
sparker000
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Previous

Return to Transit Custom