*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Cylinder lock on drivers door 2015 custom

The all new 2013 Transit Custom Forum. Transits and Tourneos 2013+

Cylinder lock on drivers door 2015 custom

Postby JammyD » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:32 pm

I have a 2015 transit custom. It has slam locks on the back and side door but on the drivers door is a cylinder lock.
I have all the keys and get what the back and side locks do but can’t work out if I should lock the drivers door with just the cylinder key or with the fob too.
If I lock with the key then unlock with the fob and open the door the alarm goes off.
Can anyone let me know what way I should use it ?
Many thanks
JammyD

Re: Cylinder lock on drivers door 2015 custom

Postby jinx » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:52 pm

As far as i am aware the key is only if your fob fails and the key is only required to open the bonnet.Press fob once to lock or twice to deadlock doors and then press fob once to open. I recommend getting your cylinder lock changed to a replock or hyke lock as it only takes a few seconds to break in otherwise :(
jinx
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby JammyD » Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:14 pm

Sorry I haven’t said it properly lol
I don’t have the standard lock I have the replacement one where it’s silver but uses a cylinder type key like one u would get with a bike D lock.
I know it’s the upgraded lock from the standard one.
Just don’t know what the lock does and should I use that to lock or both that and the fob!
JammyD

Postby Altransit » Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:44 pm

As said above, the physical lock is only there if your fob doesn't work for any reason. Pressing the lock tab on the fob twice locks, and deadlocks all of the doors, and sets the alarm if you have one fitted.

I would suggest that you unlock the van with the key in the door occasionally (once a month?), just to keep the lock working so it's there if you need it in the event of a flat battery. The idea of upgrading the lock is so that it can't be opened using a standard Tibbe lock pick, a favourite tool of the 'Transit thieving' community.
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby bigjohnthomas » Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:05 pm

why has it got slam locks on it ? some maple locking thingi fitted?
bloody pain in the arse slam locks
you can get the same effect as a slam lock on a mk 6 if you press the lock button then shut the back door
i had to cut a hole in the roof of my mk6 to get my keys out
but i dont like to talk about it
bigjohnthomas
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby woodbutcherbower » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:31 pm

What Altransit said. Everything works from the fob, the physical key is just a 'plan B' if the fob fails. Only thing I would add to that sound advice is to get yourself down to Halfords and buy a can of dry PTFE aerosol lock lubricant - squirt this into the keyhole at least once a month, and lock/unlock the door a few times repeatedly, pulling the key in and out as you do. Lubrication (as a class hooker once allegedly said) is your best friend.
woodbutcherbower
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Return to Transit Custom