*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Upgrading the CO2 emission on a 13 plate Transit Custom van.

The all new 2013 Transit Custom Forum. Transits and Tourneos 2013+

Upgrading the CO2 emission on a 13 plate Transit Custom van.

Postby Tomsurrey » Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:09 pm

Hello, my son has a Transit Custom works van, on a ‘13' plate... he’s just finished off paying some £18,000's on it but now he has a problem. Due to the new emission zone charge for London... he will, quite soon, have to pay for an extra congestion zone payment, £12 pounds, or thereabout...

As an NIC EIC electrical contractor he has to work in London, and the new zone starts at New Malden, Surrey for him. The thing is, what I am looking for is a way to upgrade / lower his van’s CO2 emission.

Anyone, out there, have any idea as to how this can be achieved? I know some work will be required in, and around, the engine... and there is some talk that this could cost over a £1000 pounds’, or more, and it just seem’s really bad as he will have to buy, (and, who will buy a vehicle where you have to pay for an extra charge to go into London... no one I guess... so he’s going to lose out big time), another, newer, van for his electrical work!

Has anyone had this done or, have any info as the best way to sort this out?

Thanks...
Tomsurrey
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Upgrading the CO2 emission on a 13 plate Transit Custom

Postby TallPaul » Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:49 pm

I've no idea what you'd need to do to upgrade from Euro 5 to Euro 6 but I'd bet it'll be much more than a grand! Almost certainly better to trade it in/sell it and get a later one- not the answer you wanted I know, sorry.
I thought this was the ULEZ zone and it wasn't being expanded until 2021 where it reaches out to the North & South Circular?

Untitled.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TallPaul
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby dumper » Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:55 pm

Pass the charges on to the customer unless it’s for private use in the zone
MK 8 L4 H3 Motorsport campervan
Past camper vans
1974 mk1 v4 with 2.0 pinto fitted
1986 mk3 2.5 di swb
1990 190 lwb 2.5 di
1998 100 lwb 2.5 di
2006 350 jumbo 135 tdci
dumper
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Tomsurrey » Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:28 am

Hiya, thanks for the reply!

Well, I have tried on this forum, many times... and was pulled up about posting my son's van's problem... you see, he cannot 'trade it in' as he has a problem with the 1st gear popping out and no one seems to know why... so, whose going to buy it? He paid £18,000 for it and what's it worth now? I was told the problem. of the 1st gear, by someone when I was in hospital, late last year, (should have taken his phone number), as he said it was a simple fix. He owns a garage in Gravesend, London, with his son/sons'... just wish I knew his contact details, damn! He said the reason why the 1st gear jumps out is down to the 'selectors' on top of the gearbox, and this can be accessed within the cabin area by removing the gear knob then the linkage and then open up something on top and then fitting new 'selectors'... I've since looked around but no one else knows this!

Either way, the extra charge come's in in April, this year, and as he works in London, sparking, he'll have to pay the extra charge, outrageous what's happening and then, in 2020 I think, the zone will increase to within the north and south circular.

SO? What to do? There must be a way to reduce the Co2 emission and I know the main way is to fit a 'filter' to the exhaust that will cost between £1800 to £3500 and you can GUESS that the cost will be nearer the top amount!

Thanks... Tom
Tomsurrey
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Tendring » Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:14 pm

Hi yes congestion ULEZ comes into effect first week in April
Will hit us hard as we run coaches all Euro 4 and 5 charge will be £100 each time we go into central London it will get passed on to the poor customers

For your info on getting a retro fitted euro 6 filter like an Eminox believe it or not the Goverment have not approved one yet that they will authorise to allow euro 4 and 5to euro 6 spec it’s an absolute joke with it coming in within a month
On coaches when something is approved it’s being suggested £20,000 plus vat
We haven’t even been notified how we pay the charge or able to set up an account it’s a farsce
Tendring
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby gregd72002 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:03 am

There are ways to reduce CO2 on them - convert it to LPG. And apply to DVLA for a change.
gregd72002
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Tomsurrey » Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:53 am

Tendring wrote:Hi yes congestion ULEZ comes into effect first week in April
Will hit us hard as we run coaches all Euro 4 and 5 charge will be £100 each time we go into central London it will get passed on to the poor customers

For your info on getting a retro fitted euro 6 filter like an Eminox believe it or not the Goverment have not approved one yet that they will authorise to allow euro 4 and 5to euro 6 spec it’s an absolute joke with it coming in within a month
On coaches when something is approved it’s being suggested £20,000 plus vat
We haven’t even been notified how we pay the charge or able to set up an account it’s a farsce

Hi, I feel sooo sorry for you, and others, about this! I think it could ruin businesses!! Good luck.

I think, on the main website, there are pointers as to where you can get them fitted but for YOU it's just too much!

Yes, it's a massive farce!

Good luck!
Tomsurrey
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Tomsurrey » Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:54 am

gregd72002 wrote:There are ways to reduce CO2 on them - convert it to LPG. And apply to DVLA for a change.

Hi and thanks for the reply!

I wonder how much that would cost?? And, can that be done to a Transit - Custom diesel van?

Regards... Tom
Tomsurrey
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Tomsurrey » Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:56 am

There's still this problem of his 1st gear... anyone know about these 'selectors'?

Thanks!
Tomsurrey
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Demondm » Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:28 pm

Tomsurrey wrote:
gregd72002 wrote:There are ways to reduce CO2 on them - convert it to LPG. And apply to DVLA for a change.

I wonder how much that would cost?? And, can that be done to a Transit - Custom diesel van?

Regards... Tom

You can't convert a diesel engine to LPG I'm afraid. Petrol only.
Demondm

Postby dumper » Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:46 am

MK 8 L4 H3 Motorsport campervan
Past camper vans
1974 mk1 v4 with 2.0 pinto fitted
1986 mk3 2.5 di swb
1990 190 lwb 2.5 di
1998 100 lwb 2.5 di
2006 350 jumbo 135 tdci
dumper
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Tomsurrey » Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:17 am

i and thanks.

regards... Tom
Tomsurrey
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Rowdey » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:54 pm

Tomsurrey wrote:

Regards... Tom

Something to watch - when i pushed to get my Mk6 LPG exempted from ULEZ (LPG being highly environment friendly from well to wheel etc) it got knocked back due to base engine not being compliant (Euro3 petrol)
03 Dual Fuel MR MWB and now 66 Mk8 L2H2..
Rowdey
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Tomsurrey » Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:23 pm

Thanks for that! Just goes to show you that they are NOT interested in the Co2 BUT, more interested in your new TAX for London!
Tomsurrey
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Return to Transit Custom