*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Reverse cam

The all new 2013 Transit Custom Forum. Transits and Tourneos 2013+

Reverse cam

Postby Dropkick » Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:58 am

Hey all.

Wanted to get your opinions on reverse cam options. I have a limited 64 and after a reverse cam. Wondered if any of you guys have fitted one? Been looking at the licence plate holder types. Can pick them up from ama for £30 odd, so maybe worth a shot? Just curious how they are wired up and how the cam knows you've popped It into reverse. Any ideas or info would be appreciated.

Thanks
Dropkick
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Re: Reverse cam

Postby Altransit » Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:24 pm

The camera is normally powered by one of the reversing lights, so only powers up when reverse is selected
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby Custard Slice » Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:26 pm

Yeah just chop into the reverse light. I opted for the wireless type. Nice and easy. Mines on the rack tho so I can get a bird's eye viewImage

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk
Custard Slice

09 MK7 85 T260
Legal some of the time..
Custard Slice
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Dropkick » Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:22 pm

Custard Slice wrote:Yeah just chop into the reverse light. I opted for the wireless type. Nice and easy. Mines on the rack tho so I can get a bird's eye viewImage

Which wireless do you have? What display comes with that then? It is a bulky bit of kit you have to stick somewhere on dash? Thanks
Dropkick
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Custard Slice » Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:25 pm

It was off of the Amazon for £60. It's the one that's supposed to go behind number plate. Just a cable going up to the 7" screen that I've stuck top of windscreen then the other end goes into my 12v socket above steering wheel. Hid the cable in behind plastic on the A pillar.

Custard Slice

09 MK7 85 T260
Legal some of the time..
Custard Slice
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Dropkick » Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:29 pm

Ah ok mate thank you.

How's the picture and quality with it being wireless? It is always on then? Or have you rigged it up to break light somehow? I'll check amazon that seems like a good option
Dropkick
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Custard Slice » Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:34 pm

Dropkick wrote:Ah ok mate thank you.

How's the picture and quality with it being wireless? It is always on then? Or have you rigged it up to break light somehow? I'll check amazon that seems like a good option
No worries, yeah picture is good. My photo of it does it no justice. I'll try take a better one tomorrow. Light was failing at the time of taking this one, but to be fair it holds up surprisingly well even at night. The screen is always on but in standby until it picks up signal from the camera. If I find it to be a parasite I will be finding a way of breaking the connection but it's been stood for a week and still started straight up and I've still got the original battery on the van and it's an 09 plate so good enough for me.

Custard Slice

09 MK7 85 T260
Legal some of the time..
Custard Slice
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Dropkick » Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:57 pm

Awesome thank you

Don't worry about a better pic I trust you, so you just leave it plugged in all the time and no probs?

Think that will do the job for me, saves having to tap into the dash
Dropkick
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Custard Slice » Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:38 am

Dropkick wrote:Awesome thank you

Don't worry about a better pic I trust you, so you just leave it plugged in all the time and no probs?

No dramas.
Yeah so far so good anyways. Yeah that was my thinking on it. Already had to drill into the dash once for the lightbar, I didn't fancy doing it again.

Custard Slice

09 MK7 85 T260
Legal some of the time..
Custard Slice
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Dropkick » Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:00 am

Thanks.

Picked up a £61 wireless unit from amazon, will post updates and my thoughts on it once installed
Dropkick
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Dropkick » Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:32 pm

Custard Slice wrote:

No dramas.
Yeah so far so good anyways. Yeah that was my thinking on it. Already had to drill into the dash once for the lightbar, I didn't fancy doing it again.

Hey, can you remember which colour cable is the 12v connects to and which colour the ground is by any chance? I'm trying to wire it now but not sure and little information out there. Cheers!
Dropkick
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Custard Slice » Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:59 pm

Dropkick wrote:
Custard Slice wrote:

No dramas.

Hey, can you remember which colour cable is the 12v connects to and which colour the ground is by any chance? I'm trying to wire it now but not sure and little information out there. Cheers!

I went green and brown for reverse and just connected the ground to the metal of the van
Custard Slice

09 MK7 85 T260
Legal some of the time..
Custard Slice
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Dropkick » Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:20 pm

Ah ok. Did one of your wires say 12v on it? I'm assuming that just means it's the live wire? So that splices onto the green and brown? How did you connect the ground to the van? Just expose more copper and tie it round a screw or something? My electrical knowledge is very limited hah.

Was it a Ford custom you did this on yeah? Just to check the green and brown wire is the same. Thanks bud
Dropkick
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Custard Slice » Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:31 pm

Dropkick wrote:Ah ok. Did one of your wires say 12v on it? I'm assuming that just means it's the live wire? So that splices onto the green and brown? How did you connect the ground to the van? Just expose more copper and tie it round a screw or something? My electrical knowledge is very limited hah.

Was it a Ford custom you did this on yeah? Just to check the green and brown wire is the same. Thanks bud
Yeah the red one is the live. Mine was but if you Google for a transit rear light loom you should come across someone with the correct colours. I did it on a Mk7. Behind the driver's side light was a earth point so I crimped an eyelet and put my ground on that. But if you find the loom diagram or chart you should be able to splice into another earth

Custard Slice

09 MK7 85 T260
Legal some of the time..
Custard Slice
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Dropkick » Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:07 pm

Ah ok thanks, tried looking but everything seems to be for the mk7 or just the new transits haha. What a nightmare! Thanks for your help though mate appreciate it
Dropkick
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Next

Return to Transit Custom