*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Euro6 170ps power flat spot / lag

The all new 2013 Transit Custom Forum. Transits and Tourneos 2013+

Euro6 170ps power flat spot / lag

Postby amcq46 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:37 pm

Hi, looking for some proof that this is either a problem, or just normal.

I have a new 2018 Custom van [camper conversion] fitted with the 170ps engine, and I feel that it has a flat spot / or turbo lag off zero throttle and want to know if it is normal.
I have owned the van from new and it has 5000miles on the clock and had the injectors all changed .... but it had the same lag before the injectors

my best description is that it has a very strong power band at 2000 revs, but this makes the performance below this feel very flat. But it is not just that the revs are low, after a gear change when it drops below 2000 revs it is flat for a fraction of a second, then the torque builds, even though the revs are still below 2000 ........ it is just a slow response to putting your foot on the throttle after taking your foot off.

it makes rapid driving in both town and rural back roads less fun, as you have to be in a lower gear and higher revs to make progress. otherwise, for example if you are rolling into a roundabout 25mph in 3rd, lifting off the throttle to check the traffic, then see a gap and put your foot down...... this is when the Lag catches you out till the torque builds again ... less than 0.5 second, but very obvious, and leaves you worried you wont make the gap.

I call it a flat spot, but it is like the electronic throttle is opening at a slower rate than my foot is moving, or that the turbo has stopped spinning and it has to get back up to speed.

so the question to others with the 170 Euro6 engine is ..... is this normal, do you experience a similar feeling?

my car with a petrol turbo engine is the total opposite, it has the best low throttle response ever and makes on / off throttle, country and town work, so easy it further exaggerates the flat spot on the van.
amcq46
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Euro6 170ps power flat spot / lag

Postby Nederbelg » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:06 pm

This realy is the Turbo-lag. I can only say: "bee glad you don't have a 2,2". There the "lag" doesn't take half a second but 2,3, 4 seconds ore more :evil:

Gr Nederbelg
Nederbelg
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby fisherman99 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:45 pm

I have a 125 ps mk8 it has no power till about 1700 rpm you can't trickle out of a junction or roundabout in second third would be impossible the mk8s are to high geared for that
fisherman99
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby woodbutcherbower » Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:17 pm

".........rolling into a roundabout 25mph in 3rd, lifting off the throttle to check the traffic, then see a gap and put your foot down"

This.

Remember that the turbocharger is exhaust-driven, and unless the revs are high enough to make the turbo spin, there's not much power until the revs build back up to the level at which the turbo is spinning and boosting again. Drop to 2nd on islands and all will be good.
woodbutcherbower
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Garysparky » Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:29 pm

I have exactly the same engine characteristics that you are explaining and it drives me mad.

Mine is a 2016 2.0 130bhp that I have owned from new and now has 24000 miles on it. I am considering having it remapped but after speaking to a couple of companies they dont seem over confident that it will cure the problem. I am seriously thinking of selling and going back to a Vito.
Garysparky

Postby Mr Juggles » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:10 pm

This, I would have thought will sort out the flat spots when driving....

https://www.diesel-performance.co.uk/tu ... 95-ccm/#go

The Pedal Box should sort out the throttle response and delay you mention also, so you don't necessarily need the performance enhancement box as well.

Give them a call, and they will confirm if this will sort your problems.
Mr Juggles
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Mikey msrt » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:30 pm

I was having the same with mine so I got the CRTD4 and it completely changed it, loads of torque and power and made it so more drivable. I’ve got one for sale as my m sport was nicked, it went into ford for new injectors so removed it and before I had time to put it back on they pinched it
Mikey msrt
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Captive Escapologist » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:50 pm

Mikey msrt wrote:, it went into ford for new injectors so removed it and before I had time to put it back on they pinched it

'Inside job' then?
Captive Escapologist
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Mikey msrt » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:40 pm

It was a week after getting it back, had gap insurance on it so got all my money back but major inconvenience. There’s probably some base model that’s now a m sport, I even had the crap door lock changed and slam locks fitted but it never stopped them. If they want it, there take it.
Mikey msrt
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby amcq46 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:52 pm

Mikey msrt wrote:I was having the same with mine so I got the CRTD4 and it completely changed it, loads of torque and power and made it so more drivable. I’ve got one for sale as my m sport was nicked, it went into ford for new injectors so removed it and before I had time to put it back on they pinched it

I have a CRTD4 box on it now and although it's better there is still the flat spot / lag effect till the turbo spins up, and in the higher power settings on the tuning box it makes it feel worse, because the engine is so strong once the turbo is spinning, it makes the flat spot feel worse.. So I run it in the lowest power setting and it is acceptable, but not perfect..
amcq46
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Nederbelg » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:49 am

A tuning (box) can't beat physics either: The compression rate is simply too low for low end torque and the high gearing isn't helpfull there. :x

Gr Nederbelg
Nederbelg
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby amcq46 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:27 pm

Nederbelg wrote:A tuning (box) can't beat physics either: The compression rate is simply too low for low end torque and the high gearing isn't helpfull there. :x

Gr Nederbelg

I understand the comments, it is like turbo cars used to be in the 1980's. but now with smaller turbos and better engine design, you don't expect to have this any more.

I can drive round the problem, but it is mildly annoying, and I wouldn't expect it from a Turbo diesel car, so I that is why I want to hear from other Euro 6 170PS owners to see if it is normal, or if I have a bad one that needs to go in for more warranty work.

Mikey msrt wrote:I was having the same with mine so I got the CRTD4 and it completely changed it, loads of torque and power and made it so more drivable Mikey msrt

when you fitted the CRTD box, did you have linear torque from idle through to 2000rpm, or did you have a lag then a sudden surge ?
amcq46
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Nederbelg » Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:45 pm

"Mildly annoying"

That must be the understatement off the year! It's really, f€&@#ng annoying :evil:

Gr Nederbelg
Nederbelg
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Return to Transit Custom