*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Ignition signal

The all new 2013 Transit Custom Forum. Transits and Tourneos 2013+

Ignition signal

Postby samvise » Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:52 pm

Hello,

I have a Tourneo Custom 170HP mk8, I am about to install a leisure battery (right now I only have the ignition battery) and a sterling battery to battery charger (bb1230).
The sterling installation manual suggest to connect the unit to the ignition signal.
Does anybody know where can I locate that, possibly without having to dismount half vehicle and invalidate Ford warranty?
Thanks

Paolo
MK8 Tourneo Custom L1H1
samvise
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Re: Ignition signal

Postby Pug957 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:17 pm

You could use a multimeter to see if any of the fuses on the fuse box are switched and use a breakout fuse which allows you to connect extra stuff. That way no mods are done to any wiring.
Pug957
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Punto443 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:32 pm

Consult the BEMM available on the etis website.
Your bullets cannot harm me, my wings are like a shield of steel

2018 Renault trafic
my old mk7
my old mk6
my xr3i
Punto443
Site Moderator

Postby bdastu » Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:02 pm

I'm in the same boat, I'm installing a Sterling B2B charger and the installation guide states that I need an ignition feed for the charger to work properly.
I found this in the BEMM manual but have still to finish the installation.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bdastu
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby samvise » Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:42 pm

Thanks punto443 and bdastu, in fact I did try to read the bemm but couldn't figure out much. Seems like bdastu managed to understand more than I did. Now I wonder about that engine running signal... Somehow it will be even more suitable than just ignition, if it does exactly what the name suggest. But that reference to ground is to be checked. I suppose testing with a multimeter would be the only way to go.
I'll keep you posted, thanks.

Paolo
MK8 Tourneo Custom L1H1
samvise
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby samvise » Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:44 pm

Pug957 wrote:You could use a multimeter to see if any of the fuses on the fuse box are switched and use a breakout fuse which allows you to connect extra stuff. That way no mods are done to any wiring.

Thanks but that would be the last resort, messing with fuse box is the last thing I wanna try. It seems however that bdastu found a feasible way, let's try it first...
Thanks.

Paolo
MK8 Tourneo Custom L1H1
samvise
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby clemmy » Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:18 am

samvise wrote:Thanks punto443 and bdastu, in fact I did try to read the bemm but couldn't figure out much. Seems like bdastu managed to understand more than I did. Now I wonder about that engine running signal... Somehow it will be even more suitable than just ignition, if it does exactly what the name suggest. But that reference to ground is to be checked. I suppose testing with a multimeter would be the only way to go.

Paolo
If I understand correctly, it means that:
* If the engine is running, the connector is a ground point
* If the engine is not running, the connector is isolated, not connected to anything

To get a +12 which is active only when the engine is running, you should combine a permanent +12 and this "engine run ground" using a relay. There is a diagram in the BEMM.
clemmy
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby samvise » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:45 pm

clemmy wrote:
samvise wrote:Thanks punto443 and bdastu, in fact I did try to read the bemm but couldn't figure out much. Seems like bdastu managed to understand more than I did. Now I wonder about that engine running signal... Somehow it will be even more suitable than just ignition, if it does exactly what the name suggest. But that reference to ground is to be checked. I suppose testing with a multimeter would be the only way to go.

Paolo
If I understand correctly, it means that:
* If the engine is running, the connector is a ground point
* If the engine is not running, the connector is isolated, not connected to anything

To get a +12 which is active only when the engine is running, you should combine a permanent +12 and this "engine run ground" using a relay. There is a diagram in the BEMM.

Thanks, this make sense. In electronics this kind of output is called open collector, seems like it will be the same here. I checked and it's just like you said
MK8 Tourneo Custom L1H1
samvise
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby clemmy » Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:26 pm

Good. I'll use that to wire a service battery after summer holidays. Never did this kind of job, but seems feasible.
clemmy
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby dredge3 » Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:43 pm

Just about to fit a Sterling Power 1230 myself. Had a transit prior with a split charger.
They new model says you don't need a live feed. Messing about or what.
Earth must come direct from battery, so it states. I did my last split charger from ground. Had loads of issues until I did it direct to battery.
Is the connector at the side of the drivers seat where you are taking your live from?

I have ordered some piggy back fuse things, if I get stuck
dredge3
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Return to Transit Custom