*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

DAB radio signal

The all new 2013 Transit Custom Forum. Transits and Tourneos 2013+

DAB radio signal

Postby Fred-W » Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:52 am

DAB radio signal:

Hi Forum members.
Does anyone know where the radio gets a Dab signal from on a 2016 DCIV Transit Custom 290 as the Radio keeps losing the signal.
Ford Transit Custom DCiV SWB Limited 290 L1 2.2 TDCi 125PS
Fred-W
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: DAB radio signal

Postby sieade245 » Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:47 pm

Hi. This may or may not be useful to you.

I have a 2015 basic custom. My van was originally fitted with the basic LCD radio unit with FM. The radio connector is on the back left of the unit. This is connected to the whip antenna on the cab roof. I swapped my FM unit for the LCD DAB unit from the connect as they are the same size and use the same connector. The DAB works just fine using the same connector. You don't say which head unit you have (LCD/ or the touchscreen one) and I've not seen the back of the touchscreen one so not sure what that has.

When I swapped mine over, originally I didn't get the connector on quite right and my DAB signal was rubbish. I took it out again and reseated the connector and it worked fine after. The connected is a little round thing with a locking clip but the locking clip can be a bit finicky.

It would be worth ripping it out and checking if yours is on properly I reckon.
sieade245
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Fred-W » Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:38 pm

Thank you for your reply sieade245.
The head unit I have is just the LCD type.
I do have a whip antenna on the cab roof but its now under a fiberglass SCA pop top fitted by Bristol campervans 12 months ago.
Fred-W
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Fred-W » Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:20 pm

The photo show the fiberglass SCA pop top covering the whip antenna on the cab roof.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Fred-W
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby sieade245 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:07 pm

Its a little hard to see where the aerial is. Do you mean its under the front bit? The aerial needs to be roughly vertical in order to resonate with any kind of efficiency with the incoming radio signal. Its normally tilted a little bit backwards but this is vertical enough.

This is even more important with DAB signal as the signal strength needs to be higher for the digital signal to be received properly by the radio...not as important with FM which is analogue. If the antenna is now "squished down" or lying horizontal, it may still pick up some radio waves, maybe enough for FM to sound ok but the signal strength will be compromised as the antenna is now effectively horizontally polarised while the incoming radio waves are vertically polarised...sort of like trying to put a cube through a circle in one of those kids block toys.

You don't need a different antenna for DAB if you have the whip. DAB frequencies are roughly double normal FM so the wavelengths are roughly halved. The standard whip antenna can still resonate at these DAB frequencies as instead of it being 1/8 wave its 1/4 wave. Don't worry if this doesn't mean anything to you..the important thing is there any way you can make the antenna vertical again if I'm reading the picture correctly? Another option would be to fit another antenna. You can get internal windscreen stick on ones...they run up the side of your windscreen (again vertical for correct polarisation)...I haven't tried one of these so not sure how good they are. and the ford connector at the back of the radio is not ISO not sure if its a proprietary connector or not. Also if you were driving "away" from the local radio transmitter...the signal has to pass through the metal van which it will but will attenuate in strength the roof really is the best place for an antenna!

If I'm misinterpreting the picture I apologise, I don't have a pop top so not sure where the antenna gets put!
sieade245
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Fred-W » Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:46 pm

Thanks again for you very informative reply sieade245.
You were reading the picture correctly, it is "squished down" under the fiberglass aerofoil. I think I may have to follow your suggestion and fit another new antenna.
Fred-W
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby richbee » Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:16 pm

Fred-W wrote:The photo show the fiberglass SCA pop top covering the whip antenna on the cab roof.

Like the blue pop-top :D
I might consider getting one fitted at some point in the future - how easy was it to colour match the bodywork?
richbee
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby sparker000 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:52 am

You have a Tourneo Custom converted to a camper? My Tourneo from 2015 has the ariel for DAB radio fitted to the rear side window (this was a change from the earlier model). I have unscrewed the whip ariel from the base so it doesn't hit the garage door and I still listen to DAB radio with no problem. I also thought that the DAB ariel on vans is in the base where the ariel screws in.
sparker000
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Fred-W » Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:23 pm

richbee wrote:
Fred-W wrote:The photo show the fiberglass SCA pop top covering the whip antenna on the cab roof.

Like the blue pop-top :D
I might consider getting one fitted at some point in the future - how easy was it to colour match the bodywork?

The SCA 124 pop top was purchased from Banwy Leisure and they deliver it to The Bristol Camper Company.
The roof arrived in white and they arranged the painting which was a very good match, it looks as if it came off the Ford production line.
Fred-W
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Fred-W » Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:25 pm

sparker000 wrote:You have a Tourneo Custom converted to a camper? My Tourneo from 2015 has the ariel for DAB radio fitted to the rear side window (this was a change from the earlier model). I have unscrewed the whip ariel from the base so it doesn't hit the garage door and I still listen to DAB radio with no problem. I also thought that the DAB ariel on vans is in the base where the ariel screws in.

Thanks for the Information sparker000
Fred-W
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby seikokid » Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:05 pm

just buy a ford st or rs ariel and it solves any radio signal issue
seikokid
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Fred-W » Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:02 am

Problem now fixed.
Purchased an Autoleads Magnetic DAB Antenna from Halfords only £10.
Mounted it at the rear behind the pop top roof. Ran the cable under the rear roof lining.
Dropped front head lining slightly and removed the base unit from the old aerial. (8mm socket) Connected/soldered the new aerial cable to this unit.
The Dab reception is great, tested it over a 60 mile route and it no longer drops out.
A big thanks to all forum members who provided feedback.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Fred-W
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Hart_graham » Mon May 24, 2021 5:06 pm

Old post I know but ..... thought I had same problem -pop top fitted before I bought it. Lowered the headliner on the near side to look and found the antenna had already been disconnected and electrics/box left hanging by door pillar beneath the trim. Shall do as you did - I assume you soldered the new antenna coax to the existing connection to the cct board?
Hart_graham
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Fred-W » Fri May 28, 2021 8:33 am

Sorry for late reply, you are correct - I did soldered the new antenna coax to the existing connection to the cct board, still working great and excellent signal?
Fred-W
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Hart_graham » Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:18 pm

Thanks for the reply. Have now got so many DAB channels I am spoiled for choice with no more dropping out.
Thanks again, I would never have checked without reading your post :D
Hart_graham
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Return to Transit Custom