*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Fuel system electrical issue

The all new 2013 Transit Custom Forum. Transits and Tourneos 2013+

Fuel system electrical issue

Postby Expendable » Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:32 pm

Hi
New to all this, I have a 2014 custom, had the in take fuel pump changed due to a fuel pump control module fault that rendered the van un drivable. That sorted the issue for about a month then is broke down again, same faults as before (low fuel pressure) turned out to be the fuel pump relay, so it’s been fine for about 2 weeks. Cut out again today and won’t start, anyone have any ideas? Was going to swap the relay tomorrow, hoping it’s that again but why would The relay keep dying?
Cheers
Expendable

Re: Fuel system electrical issue

Postby Frag » Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:03 am

this might be of interest,it's a mk8 but same setup.
viewtopic.php?f=64&t=195979&c=1
Frag
Ford Technician

Postby Expendable » Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:20 pm

Thanks for this, I’ll mention it to the mechanic.
Expendable

Postby Frag » Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:56 pm

I've had a similar,fault where the fuel pump fuse had a poor connection,needed the terminals closing up in fuseboard.
Same outcome,no pump run from intank pump,low pressure codes.
Frag
Ford Technician

Postby Expendable » Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:49 pm

Update, no power to fuel pump so the garage powered it up manually, van started running, a hot electrical smell coming from the engine bay, turns out the alternator was over charging and the fuel pump fuse had melted, so they changed the alternator and fuse. Ran fine for 4 days then dies again, same outcome with the fuse runs fine then does the same again!!!
Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Mechanic says he checked the fuse holder and is fine.
Cheers
Expendable

Postby Nederbelg » Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:12 pm

The Fuse doesn't melt because of the Alternator is overcharching. Probably the "overcharching" caused an electrical problem in the Fuel Pump's electronics or in the pump itselve. So there might be an Insulation Fault in the pump, which, intermittantly, causes a short.

Gr Nederbelg
Nederbelg
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Expendable » Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:13 pm

Thanks for the reply, am I right in thinking that the failing alternator could have damaged my original fuel pump and then damaged the new one I’ve had fitted?
Expendable

Postby Nederbelg » Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:14 pm

Wenn there is a serious overvoltage on the system, everything connected could faill. Normally you wouldn't expect fairly robust electric motors to fail due to over tension, before other, more susceptible (electronic ) parts. But who knows what kind of control unit is built into the pump?

Gr Nederbelg
Nederbelg
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Expendable » Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:36 pm

When I first had the problem one of the faults logged was fuel pump control module error, the mechanic changed the fuel pump because he said it was built into it, do you know if it actually is as doing some researching online people are selling custom fuel pump control modules and they are clearly not built into the pump, they look more like they are bolted to the underside of the vehicle.
Expendable

Postby Nederbelg » Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:47 pm

I realy don't know. But there are lots of people here who do know. :D I expect ghem to react soon. :D

I found this on YT:
https://youtu.be/0dPOdoNBsEU

And a link to an Ebay seller of used ones:

https://www.ebay.nl/itm/Ford-Transit-Cu ... SwBVpdNvNh

It's not a Custom but likely the system is much the same.

Gr Nederbelg
Nederbelg
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Expendable » Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:27 am

Yeah that’s the one I saw on eBay, also a video similar to that one.
Expendable

Postby Frag » Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:16 pm

The van in youtube vid is a MK8 petrol,i don't think earlier customs have a fuel pump 'module',Panther/ecoblue variants have one,and its fastened to top front of fuel tank.

When a fuse melts,rather than blowing,its usually due to a high resistance ie poor connection at the fuse holder itself.

If a multimeter (with an inline fuse) is substituted in place of the fuse,you will be able to run the van and check exactly how much current the in tank pump is drawing.
Also,when was fuel filter last changed ? A blocked filter will put extra load on the pump.
Frag
Ford Technician

Postby Expendable » Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:01 pm

UPDATE:Van still at garage, relay also keeps blowing, engine doesn’t sound happy when running.
All of these issues started after I had a new starter motor fitted, I don’t suppose it could be anything related to that??
Also after the mechanic fitted the new in tank fuel pump the fuel gauge goes to quarter of a tank and gets stuck there, any suggestions welcomed?
Expendable

Postby Nederbelg » Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:43 pm

Did you forget to reconnect the ground lead to the starter motor? Could the cable be damaged?

If so, it would explain why things keep melting...........

Gr Nederbelg
Nederbelg
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Expendable » Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:21 am

Van update! Apologies it’s been so long, I’m on my third in tank fuel pump!! Now a genuine ford one, been fine for 3 months now it intermittently stalls and won’t start. Last time it happened I turned the ignition on and pushed the valve on the top of the high pressure fuel pump and nothing camp out no fuel or air, I turned the key again and heard the pump priming, turned the key a few more times then it started. The pump in the tank seems to cut out then it stalls, leave it for a bit and it seems fine?? Anyone got any ideas?? Please
Expendable

Next

Return to Transit Custom