*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Ford Transit Custom and Tourneo Custom differences

The all new 2013 Transit Custom Forum. Transits and Tourneos 2013+

Ford Transit Custom and Tourneo Custom differences

Postby polachp » Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:30 am

Hello!
I have just bought Ford Transit Custom 2.2 tdci (2013) that I want to transfer to a light camper van.
I am a bit confused with ford models, when choosing spare parts - What are the differences between those models? (transit vs tourneo)

1/ Is the body same between those two? (so roof racks etc will be compatible on both etc...)

2/one more technical: the version I have (Transit/Tourneo Custom 2012, 2.2L CR TC I4 DSL 155PS), is there a service interval for the drive chain? ( I found in the Ford Etis maintance shedule that auxiliary belt should be replaced regularly, but no info about tha main driving chain at all)
polachp

Re: Ford Transit Custom and Tourneo Custom differences

Postby John webbo » Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:06 pm

I'm no expert, but hopefuylly this might help a bit.

If you look on 7zap you can see via the diagrams a lot of the differences, but some are more subtle.
You should be able to figure out from your V5 as to what the load rating of your van is, and that along with L1/L2, double cab (DCIV) or not, plus engine power will narrow it down.

The Tourneo has full load length floor, with heating ducts in it. Full length head lining too, again with heating ducts. The rear cabin heater is inside the rear tailgate on the left.
Windows all round, rear speakers, rear side trim, folding / removable seats, etc.
Below the floor the Tourneo has slightly different chassis members, to create additional support plus strengthening for the seats.
You could order air suspension for them, plus different trim level, that weren't offered on the vans.

In terms of running gear, I believe it is all the same as the van, the Tourneo is load rated the same as a van is (310/320 I think).
Electrically there are differences, but I'm not entirely sure what they are (there are differences between a DCIV and normal van too, such as c/l control of side doors)

Yes roof racks will fit both, as will things like side steps, but you need to check whether L1 or L2, as mounting points may be different.
For things like swivel bases, all the single seats mount the same.
Have a read of the etis modifiers info, this gives details of how to connect additional loads, and also how to convert from single to dual battery if you wish to. There are a bunch of threads about this on here too.

Have a good old web search and autotrader too, compare the various specs and pictures. All should then become clear(er) :)

For service intervals, have a look on the ford site, pretty sure its on there somewhere.
yep, here: https://www.ford.co.uk/content/dam/guxe ... 191108.pdf
No idea what the service covers though.

Hope that helps.
2019 Custom Sport DCIV. Landed and loving it
John webbo
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby thedugmaster » Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:26 pm

A Tourneo Custom is exactly the same body as the Transit, with the exception that is has twin sliding doors, rear seat belt mounts and is fully trimmed out.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk
thedugmaster
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Punto443 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:39 pm

A tourneo is not subject to commercial speed restrictions, where a van is.

Although, if the van is properly reregistered as a camper, that wouldn't be a problem.
Your bullets cannot harm me, my wings are like a shield of steel

2018 Renault trafic
my old mk7
my old mk6
my xr3i
Punto443
Site Moderator

Postby seagypsy1407u » Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:35 pm

Punto443 wrote:A tourneo is not subject to commercial speed restrictions, where a van is.

Although, if the van is properly reregistered as a camper, that wouldn't be a problem.

Thanks for that Punto443 just nicked this off the web didn't realise :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
You learn something every day

The general rule is that vans must travel 10mph less than cars on main roads, but in towns and cities a van can still travel at the 30mph limit, the same as a car.
On single-carriageway roads displaying the national speed limit sign, vans are limited to 50mph. The same rule applies on a dual carriageway, where the speed limit is 70mph for a car, but is 60mph for a van. On a motorway, a van is typically allowed to run to the 70mph speed limit, the same as a car.

However, there are specifics that add further complexity.
Small vans can be classified as car-derived vans and allowed to drive at car speed limits if they are listed as CDV on the V5C registration form. These are vans like the Ford Fiesta Van or the Vauxhall Corsavan, but can also include very small models no longer on sale like the Fiat Fiorino, Peugeot Bipper and Citroën Nemo.
There are also slightly larger vans that are used as cars. New vans like the Vauxhall Combo, Renault Kangoo or Citroën Berlingo and Peugeot Partner are all available with passenger carrying versions that can qualify as cars if they have a gross vehicle weight (GVW) of less than two tonnes. The crucial check is that they must also be listed as CDV in the V5C.
The rest of the speed limits for other vans are far more straightforward. Small, medium and large vans must all travel at the reduced speed limit. Whether you have a 3.5-tonne van like a Mercedes-Benz Sprinter, Ford Transit or Volkswagen Crafter, or a mid-sized Ford Transit Custom, Renault Trafic or Vauxhall Vivaro, you’ll often be travelling 10mph less than the rest of the traffic.

Dual-purpose van speed limit exemptions

There is another exemption to be aware of: dual-purpose vehicles under 2040kg don’t have to comply with the reduced speed limit.
What is a dual-purpose vehicle? Well, a campervan is a dual-purpose vehicle providing the V5C registration document says it is a 'motor caravan', but if it is a non-manufacturer conversion, it may not be classed as one and could still be registered as an LCV and therefore subject to their rules.

Kombi vans or double-cab vans are also dual-purpose. Their extra row of seats makes them exempt from the rules, providing they are below the 2040kg unladen weight rule.
seagypsy1407u
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby John webbo » Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:52 pm

thedugmaster wrote:A Tourneo Custom is exactly the same body as the Transit, with the exception that is has twin sliding doors, rear seat belt mounts and is fully trimmed out.

I disagree, they are similar but not the same. The DCIV also has twin sliding doors, and these can be specified on the van too.

I compared my 2019 L2 DCIV with the same age Tourneo. As I said above there are additional chassis components. These can be seen on the 7zap diagrams but its not clear exactly where they are until you actually look.
The attached picture shows a cross member that has seat rail bolts either side of it on the Tourneo. On my DCIV this is not present, it is a single skin web and not a U channel. The DCIV has different bracketry for the seat captive nuts too, which the van does not have at all. There is bracketry in the rear load space for the rear bulkhead to mount to as well.
It also looked to me like my mates Tourneo had the bracketry in place for air suspension, although it didn't have air.

Hope that helps.

Oh, and as stated above the Kombi / DCIV are also exempt from the van reduced speed limits.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John webbo
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby hitech-donk » Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:44 pm

I thought that for a DCIV you also needed a rear window, bigger bulkhead window and the v5 classification changed to allow for car speed limits.
hitech-donk
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby John webbo » Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:09 am

Funny, I too thought you needed rear windows (my old van had these), but two dealers I spoke with when looking to order said this was not the case.

Certainly something worth checking...
John webbo
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby richbee » Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:20 pm

You definitely need rear windows, side windows and 2nd row of seats, plus unladen weight <2040kg to get dual purpose status & car speed limits on a normal van or DCIV as they are N1 (commercial) tax class. Tourneo is a passenger vehicle M1 tax class, so gets car speed limits.

You can also get it properly converted to a camper van and re-registered with the DVLA to get car speed limits, but they have just changed the rules which cocks it up for most people as you have to have a high roof, extra windows, permanent side canopy attached etc etc.

The bulkhead window is one which to me isn't clear - the rules only state that the rear windows have to be a certain area - no mention of other rear windows, but who knows.

We went through this in great detail on a thread a while ago.

it is about as clear as mud generally - you can't get your van reclassified as 'dual purpose' it seems that you just have to rely on meeting the rules and challenging any speeding charges as and when they appear.

I keep thinking about fitting rear windows for that very purpose, but haven't got round to it yet & not sure if it is worth the hassle.
richbee
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby thedugmaster » Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:28 pm

John webbo wrote:
thedugmaster wrote:A Tourneo Custom is exactly the same body as the Transit, with the exception that is has twin sliding doors, rear seat belt mounts and is fully trimmed out.

I disagree, they are similar but not the same. The DCIV also has twin sliding doors, and these can be specified on the van too.

I compared my 2019 L2 DCIV with the same age Tourneo. As I said above there are additional chassis components. These can be seen on the 7zap diagrams but its not clear exactly where they are until you actually look.
The attached picture shows a cross member that has seat rail bolts either side of it on the Tourneo. On my DCIV this is not present, it is a single skin web and not a U channel. The DCIV has different bracketry for the seat captive nuts too, which the van does not have at all. There is bracketry in the rear load space for the rear bulkhead to mount to as well.
It also looked to me like my mates Tourneo had the bracketry in place for air suspension, although it didn't have air.

Hope that helps.

Oh, and as stated above the Kombi / DCIV are also exempt from the van reduced speed limits.

I'll rephrase...

A Tourneo Custom is essentially the same base body shell as the Transit, but with minimal changes in support of a fully trimmed passenger compartment in place of an untrimmed commercial loadspace.
thedugmaster
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Return to Transit Custom