*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

D+ signal for B2B charger

The all new 2013 Transit Custom Forum. Transits and Tourneos 2013+

D+ signal for B2B charger

Postby crimmp » Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:47 pm

I want to install a battery-to-battery charger (I have a Votronic VCC 1212-30) in my Ford Transit custom. The instruction manual specifies that I need a 'signal vehicle D+' to connect into the B2B charger. This signal apparently comes right out of the alternator, but neither by reading the handbook nor by opening the bonnet and looking at the alternator could I find out how to get this signal.

Does anybody know how to access this most easily? Is there maybe even a D+ signal inside the passenger part of the vehicle, so that I don't need to take it from the alternator directly?
crimmp

Re: D+ signal for B2B charger

Postby Nederbelg » Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:20 pm

There is no D+ signal availlable as the Custom has a smart charching system. There is however, a "Motor ON" signal, which you can use instead.

Somewhere in here, there must be a Thread about this.

Gr Nederbelg
Nederbelg
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby crimmp » Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:10 pm

Thanks. I just found the BEMM document (did not know it existed before) and found the relevant info. Seems like I need to get the kit from a Ford supplier which lets me access that signal directly from under the driver's seat, right next to the vehicle battery. This is actually great news, as it sounds much easier than forking the D+ wire from the alternator myself.
crimmp

Postby Dosh28 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:17 pm

crimmp wrote:Thanks. I just found the BEMM document (did not know it existed before) and found the relevant info. Seems like I need to get the kit from a Ford supplier which lets me access that signal directly from under the driver's seat, right next to the vehicle battery. This is actually great news, as it sounds much easier than forking the D+ wire from the alternator myself.

I am trying to install a Votronic triple charger. I also need this D+ signal. I have the BEMM, but i don't understand it. What kit do I need from Ford so that I can accessa this signal. I understand it is a "Motor ON" signal?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thank youi
...and it went brrrmmm brrrmmm brrrmmm

:D :shock: :lol:
Dosh28

Postby crimmp » Thu May 21, 2020 1:27 pm

I managed to get the signal by buying that cable from my local Ford dealer (before the pandemic set off, I hope you can still source it now!).
It's quite expensive, £50+VAT if I remember correctly, but it comes with a plug which fits in a socket next to the battery (quite fiddly to get it in, you need to take out the battery) and then there are 6 individual cables coming out of it, one of them is the motor on signal (check with a voltmeter that it has 12V if and only if the ignition is on.)
Hope that helps!
crimmp

Postby Dosh28 » Thu May 21, 2020 8:25 pm

Thanks Crimmp, I was going to order that part as well, but then lockdown happened. I studied the BEMM and found the Vehicle Interface Connnecter (beside the battery under the drivers seat). PIN 4 of the VIC is a K15 ignition feed. I connected to this using a crimp connector and it works perfectly.

Screenshot 2020-05-21 at 20.18.56.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Dosh28

Postby crimmp » Fri May 22, 2020 9:14 am

That's amazing, and it saved you the ridiculous amount of money they charge for that cable! If I would have known about that before, I'd have tried that as well.
crimmp

Postby Fred-W » Fri May 22, 2020 6:47 pm

Thanks Dosh 28. that diagram and information was very useful.
Pin 4 - Ignition signal is +12 V protected by a 10A fuse and active at ignition positions 1 and 2.
Ford Transit Custom DCiV SWB Limited 290 L1 2.2 TDCi 125PS
Fred-W
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Dosh28 » Fri May 22, 2020 9:07 pm

Fred-W wrote:Thanks Dosh 28. that diagram and information was very useful.
Pin 4 - Ignition signal is +12 V protected by a 10A fuse and active at ignition positions 1 and 2.

You're welcome Fred. Yes, positions 1 & 2, so the feed is not on when the engine is cranked.

Dosh28

Postby richbee » Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:59 am

Dosh28 wrote:

You're welcome Fred. Yes, positions 1 & 2, so the feed is not on when the engine is cranked.

So it is active before the engine starts - at position 1, with accessories on? That doesn't sound right?

I thought 'motor on' meant only while the engine is running, otherwise if you just put the key in & turn to position 1 to listen to the radio without starting it, it will drain the main battery to charge the leisure battery.
richbee
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Dosh28 » Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:25 pm

richbee wrote:
Dosh28 wrote:

So it is active before the engine starts - at position 1, with accessories on? That doesn't sound right?

I thought 'motor on' meant only while the engine is running, otherwise if you just put the key in & turn to position 1 to listen to the radio without starting it, it will drain the main battery to charge the leisure battery.

Hi Rich. Thank you very much, that is a good point you raise. It is not something I have ever encountered, nor thought about. 'Motor On' means 'Ignition on', as far as I am aware. I do not sit in my van with the ignition on. I either start the engine to drive, or I take the keys out and get out. I do not need to switch the ignition on to listen to the radio in my van. With the ignition off, I press the radio 'Power' button and it will switch the radio on for an hour.

I have just checked your theory above and you are correct. With the ignition on, the system shows it is charging the LEISURE battery from the START battery.

Lesson 1 - don't switch the ignition on and sit in the van, unless you actually start the engine.

Dosh28

Postby richbee » Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:34 pm

Dosh28 wrote:
richbee wrote:
Dosh28 wrote:[quote="Fred-W"]Thanks Dosh 28. that diagram and information was very useful.

Hi Rich. Thank you very much, that is a good point you raise. It is not something I have ever encountered, nor thought about. 'Motor On' means 'Ignition on', as far as I am aware. I do not sit in my van with the ignition on. I either start the engine to drive, or I take the keys out and get out. I do not need to switch the ignition on to listen to the radio in my van. With the ignition off, I press the radio 'Power' button and it will switch the radio on for an hour.

I have just checked your theory above and you are correct. With the ignition on, the system shows it is charging the LEISURE battery from the START battery.

Lesson 1 - don't switch the ignition on and sit in the van, unless you actually start the engine.[/quote]Thanks for checking that - you're right I forgot you can just push the power button for the radio.
Like you say, have to remember not to turn it to position 1 & leave it

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk
richbee
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby yasser » Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:19 pm

When I used the the socket under the seat i used a small female spade connector, , squashed it a little and then heat shrank it to make sure it was totally insulated from the other pins. It worked fine but it was always nagging on my mind and if anything went wrong, would Ford reject a warrant y claim. So i bought the proper cable and for what it was it was horrendously expensive. It was about £50-55 for a plastic plug with a 3 meter tail. When I sold the van I took everything out and I still have the cable. If anyone is still after the cable I can post all in for £25. Message me.

IMG_20200607_213248.jpg

IMG_20200607_213238.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
310 DCiV L2 Limited 155
yasser
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby yasser » Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:32 pm

yasser wrote:When I used the the socket under the seat i used a small female spade connector, , squashed it a little and then heat shrank it to make sure it was totally insulated from the other pins. It worked fine but it was always nagging on my mind and if anything went wrong, would Ford reject a warrant y claim. So i bought the proper cable and for what it was it was horrendously expensive. It was about £50-55 for a plastic plug with a 3 meter tail. When I sold the van I took everything out and I still have the cable. If anyone is still after the cable I can post all in for £25. Message me.

IMG_20200607_213248.jpg

IMG_20200607_213238.jpg

Sold
310 DCiV L2 Limited 155
yasser
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Kevr » Sat Oct 31, 2020 8:16 pm

crimmp wrote:Thanks. I just found the BEMM document (did not know it existed before) and found the relevant info. Seems like I need to get the kit from a Ford supplier which lets me access that signal directly from under the driver's seat, right next to the vehicle battery. This is actually great news, as it sounds much easier than forking the D+ wire from the alternator myself.

Hi crimmp, where did you find the BEMM? I looked on the Ford site but couldn't get access.

Cheers,

Kev
Kevr

Next

Return to Transit Custom