*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

How much carpet to line a custom?

The all new 2013 Transit Custom Forum. Transits and Tourneos 2013+

How much carpet to line a custom?

Postby Tpoles95 » Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:14 pm

Hi

Im looking to insulate and carpet line my l1h1 custom.

Rather than buying not enough and ordering more or ordering way too much, I wondered if anyone had experience lining theirs and remember how much carpet they got through.

Thanks

Tom
Tpoles95
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: How much carpet to line a custom?

Postby woodbutcherbower » Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:26 pm

I carpeted mine directly onto a ply-lined floor. Best route is to use carpet tiles, they're incredibly durable, very easy to lay, and dirt cheap - I did my whole floor for around £30 as I recall. You'll find a decent selection at B&Q or similar. They can be cut using a Stanley knife and the rubber backing also makes them waterproof and easy to keep clean.

If you want something a bit springier, you can pre-line the floor with 5mm foam laminate flooring underlay. Everything can be fixed down using aerosol spray contact adhesive, you can get this from Wilko or similar. For awkward shapes around wheel arches etc. I just knocked up some simple templates from Screwfix lining paper.

Hope that helps.
woodbutcherbower
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby woodbutcherbower » Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:35 pm

Plus - regarding your quantity question - get more than you need. Any left over can be taken back for a refund. Try doing that with offcuts of Axminster shag pile :D
woodbutcherbower
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby woodbutcherbower » Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:37 pm

Here you go. 3 years wear on the floor of a joiner's van and still as good as new.

IMG_0282.jpg

IMG_0287.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
woodbutcherbower
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Return to Transit Custom