*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

2015 Custom Upgrade to Heated Seats

The all new 2013 Transit Custom Forum. Transits and Tourneos 2013+

2015 Custom Upgrade to Heated Seats

Postby IanTR » Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:48 pm

Hi All

I have recently bought a 2015 Custom. It was a bit of a rush purchase really and the cab is a little shabby. Now with this lockdown situation and being laid off from work I have turned my attention to doing some work on my van. I would like new seats and door cards and new floor coverings. My question is if I bought some seats from a well known auction site. If those seats were heated (my van seats are non heated), is there wiring already there? Although I guess that if not, as the battery is under the drivers seat, it should not be too difficult to rig up wiring for heated seats?

Any advice from you seasoned experts would be gratefully received.

Ian
IanTR

Re: 2015 Custom Upgrade to Heated Seats

Postby longhair » Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:21 pm

I can't answer your question, but if you have a look under the seat base, if you see part of a loom with a plug that doesn't have anything going to it, that could well be what you need. The twin seat is only heated on the outside seat and not both of them.
longhair
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby IanTR » Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:48 pm

Thank you @longhair, I will check. Have been in touch with one breaker who has some seats who told me it is not possible without a lot of work to upgrade to heated seats from non-heated. That might be because he has some non-heated ones he wants to sell me.

I'll wait for more information and make a decision. I am probably looking to replace most of my cab as it was obviously a poorly treated work van before. By contrast the rear of the van is immaculate.

If anybody knows of a good reasonably priced place I can source, door cards, seats, mat and side steps I would be very interested. My van is dark grey in colour. I am converting it to carry a mobile weather radar system to be used in motorsport to advise a team exactly when rain will start on the circuit during a race. More of a hobby than a business so that is why I'm converting a used van! I will get round to posting a picture or two.

As always, I am grateful for any advice.

Ian
IanTR

Postby longhair » Wed Apr 15, 2020 4:04 pm

If you do find spare looms/plugs, give another post and Iet us know the wire colours and plug type, and I'll check mine to see if they are the same as on my limited.
longhair
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby S60r » Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:18 am

While fishing around installing my sub I’m pretty sure the heated seat has a loom under the middle passenger seat. It’s strapped to the inside of the metal base as close to the handbrake as you can get. It looks like a seat belt holder. Take it apart and there are 2 connections in there one for the drivers seat and the other for the outer passenger seat.
S60r
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby IanTR » Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:15 am

Thank you S60r.

I got all excited and went out to the van to check around the middle cab seat. Sadly I don't see any heated seat wiring! Although as the battery is under the drivers seat it must be fairly easy to do a DIY upgrade to heated seats. I will have a go if I can source some seats soon.

Ian
IanTR

Postby woodbutcherbower » Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:46 pm

IanTR wrote:

If anybody knows of a good reasonably priced place I can source, door cards, seats, mat and side steps I would be very interested.

Ian

For the floor, I'd strongly recommend one of these, especially given what you're planning to use the van for. Mine has so far survived three years worth of building sites and it's still almost as good as new. The fit is spot-on, it fixes on using the van's existing floor clips, and the whole thing comes out in seconds for cleaning with a pressure washer or hosepipe;

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-TRANSIT ... SwdjNZBv91

For steps and various other accessories, these guys are good;

https://www.vandemon.co.uk/

And if you don't fix the heated seats problem - here you go :lol:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-Litre-1-Li ... SwwBted4JW

All the best.
Last edited by woodbutcherbower on Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
woodbutcherbower
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby woodbutcherbower » Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:53 pm

Also meant to say - I have a totally unused, pristine factory load bed liner which I took out of my van the day after I bought it new. It's literally never been used in anger as the van was ply-lined almost immediately. I'm pretty sure I still have all of the fixing bolts and the internal lashing rings knocking about somewhere, too. If you don't mind a trip to Derbyshire, you are welcome to have the lot. Or maybe on your next trip out to Donington Park !!

Kev
woodbutcherbower
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Jackanson » Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:02 pm

If you do decide to go for heated seats, make sure they are pre facelift. The switches are now on the dash for the seats. Pre facelift the switches were fitted to the seat bases. Bob.
Jackanson
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby kevcon » Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:52 pm

Asked this question to one of the mechanics at my local ford dealership.
He said anything ca be added. But it cant be activated. Best way is to find a live i.e battery is under the drivers seat.
kevcon
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby IanTR » Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:10 pm

Thanks for the answers Guys some great information there.
I will follow up on this when this current situation is more workable. Kev, that is a very kind offer of your load liner. However, I am converting the back of the van and have laid a floor and lined the walls. Thank you though, I hope someone is able to take up that offer.

Regards
Ian
IanTR

Postby johnt33 » Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:31 am

Hello,
Don't know if this might be any help for heated seats.
https://www.altecautomotive.co.uk/heate ... -336-c.asp
johnt33

Postby PaulRogers » Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:37 pm

Jackanson wrote:If you do decide to go for heated seats, make sure they are pre facelift. The switches are now on the dash for the seats. Pre facelift the switches were fitted to the seat bases. Bob.

Does anyone know if you can fit facelift heated seats into a pre facelift van with heated seats?,
PaulRogers

Return to Transit Custom