*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Radiator fan trying to spin HI but fails

The all new 2013 Transit Custom Forum. Transits and Tourneos 2013+

Radiator fan trying to spin HI but fails

Postby Kardaani » Mon May 11, 2020 10:26 pm

Hello! I would be grateful if someone could help me with this. Custom is made 2014 and has a problem with radiator fan. When AC is on and engine is running the fan should run hi speed all the time until outside temp drops under about +5c/41F. It worked fine in last autumn but now the fan only tries to start spinning fast and then stops or continues at low speed mode. When car is parked it tries this about once per minute. Duration of the hi speed mode is about 0,5 to 1 second. There are none faultcodes. Does anyone have idea for this? Is the issue in relays, AC unit, PCM module or where?
Kardaani
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Radiator fan trying to spin HI but fails

Postby Frag » Wed May 13, 2020 12:31 pm

I would get the aircon gas checked,cooling fan Operation is controlled by the system pressure switches.
I suspect you’re AC gas isn’t quite full enough,and this drop in expected pressure isn’t actuating the switches correctly.
Frag
Ford Technician

Postby Kardaani » Thu May 14, 2020 6:50 pm

Good point, thanks! Never even thought about it. I have to go to the AC service hoping that will fix it.
Kardaani
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Kardaani » Mon May 25, 2020 5:48 pm

The AC was serviced today but they didnt find anything wrong. No faultcodes, leaks or anything. They only added 100grams of refrigerant gas but no change to the cooling fan.
Does the radiator fan has own controller unit, or is it the PCM or other module that runs the fans?
Kardaani
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Altransit » Mon May 25, 2020 8:01 pm

There is a fan controller bolted to the radiator cowling, this can be faulty (I've had one) or it could be worth checking that the fan is free to turn and isn't partially seized :idea:
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby Kardaani » Mon May 25, 2020 10:02 pm

Thank you. I have to check that controller. Maybe the controller gets pulse from somewhere to start fan hi speed and relay inside has lost "keep" circuit. The fan itself spins great. Reach allmost full speed for that short second time, then loss of power i think.
Kardaani
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby p2thed » Tue May 26, 2020 6:28 pm

2.0 ltr and 2.2 wiring diagrams might be helpful
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
p2thed
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Kardaani » Tue May 26, 2020 9:24 pm

Sure they are. Great! Many thanks to you.
Kardaani
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Kardaani » Wed May 27, 2020 12:38 pm

I figured out today the "Hi speed cooling fan relay" loses controlvoltage for relay coil. You can hear and feel it with finger when relay connects and disconnect one second later. I replaced the relay with other but didnt help. When looking p2thed posted wiring diagram, it is PCM whitch controls the relay. Its time to Ford service now i think.

Thanks for the help everyone.
Kardaani
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Altransit » Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:35 pm

Have you checked that the compressor clutch is engaging? If not, the fan won’t stay running.
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby Kardaani » Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:16 am

Everything else in the car works perfectly. No fault codes. AC works so i think the compressor clutch works fine too? The AC runs and cools cabin normally even when outsidetemps here has been +28c/83F.
Only problem is the fan. I havent take the call to Ford service yet but it might be easiest way to change PCM and try.
Kardaani
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Kardaani » Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:52 pm

Altransit wrote:There is a fan controller bolted to the radiator cowling, this can be faulty (I've had one) or it could be worth checking that the fan is free to turn and isn't partially seized :idea:

There are two boxes on radiator cowling. Other contains 50A fuse for fan and other is actually resistor for "low" fan speed. Today i tried to fix HI speed again and noticed that the LOW speed doesnt work anymore. So the fan isnt spinning at all now. Removed the resistor and figured out that the wire on it was burned cut.
It was ok few weeks ago when the fan still spinned LOW speed but it might had some problems all the time. Now i hope this is the main reason for HI speed failure too.

I visited Ford dealer to buy new resistor but its not selled separately. Only comes with whole set of new fan, plastic housing, resistor, wires etc. prised 350€/270£. After that visited few spare part shops but nothing. Then long googling and nothing but some used parts from ebay.
Resistor is made by Bosch and partnumber 3134503095

Any ideas where i could find new one?
Kardaani
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Altransit » Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:23 pm

I didn't actually take mine apart to have a look, I just replaced it, at the time, but if it's merely a resistor, can you not purchase a new one from ebay and solder it in :?:
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby Kardaani » Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:08 pm

Basically yes, but its not that easy. It isnt a small electronic resistor what you can change by soldering. Current going through the resistor is maybe 30 to 40Amps and the resistor wire part itself is a heavy duty style wire whitch propably glows red when fan is spinning. Soldering with tin doesnt work, becouse tin will melt away. Heads of the wire should weld to terminals somehow. Also you need to know exact ohms and diameter of the wire etc to make it work.
Kardaani
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Kardaani » Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:19 am

SOLVED

First of all, car has no problem with PCM, connections or anything. Only problem is early mentioned resistor for LOWspeed of the fan. It is broken and the fan never spins, until PCM sets HIspeed ON for a one second. That is also ok, it does this when the refrigerant gas pressure gets too high. Normal pressure of refrigerant is about 900kpa but when the fan is not spinning pressure quickly raises. When it reach about 1900kpa the PCM sets HIspeed ON for the fan. Pressure drops immediately below 1500kpa and PCM sets HIspeed OFF. After that it loops, when fan is not spinning and pressure raises again PCM does it again and again forever.

But if LOWspeed of the fan is working, refrigerant gas pressure never raises too high and there is no need for HIspeed mode.

Now my only problem is to find proper resistor for the fan and everything works again. I have made lot of work to find resistor but there is no-one in the world who could sell me that Bosch made part itself. Bosch car servise companys x 3, ford dealers, spare part shops, Bosch importer.. all asked and no. It looks i have to buy 270£ full fan system from ford or build myself something with resistor wire.

Anyhow the "problem" is solved and just for info, i made this all clear with forscan livedata tool.
Kardaani
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Next

Return to Transit Custom