*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

2.2 66plate cut out now won’t start no power to tank pump.

The all new 2013 Transit Custom Forum. Transits and Tourneos 2013+

2.2 66plate cut out now won’t start no power to tank pump.

Postby Spaceman210 » Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:57 pm

Hi

2.2 2016 66 plate trend. 27k Miles
Long story this but any help be much appreciated.

Drove 100miles all good parked up camped a few nights then left van drove perfect for 15 mins or so then when in cruise control got Engine service now message and cruise turned off power dropping aimed for closest layby and before I had stopped in it van cut out. Dry sunny day.
Tried to start and just turning over it then started for a few seconds and slowly died like it ran out of fuel.

No fuel or air at schrader valve on HP pump and can hear i tank pump running.
Swapped relays for fuel pump and glow plugs with no difference checked all fuses and all intact.
Recovery came plugged laptop in and code was low fuel pressure.

Recovered home.

Dropped diesel tank pulled the pump stuck 12v on pump and ran fine stuck it back in the tank and applied power and it sprayed the drive down with diesel so happy it’s pumping. Crawled under can and checked for power at plug to pump and nothing there. Built it back up same as before van just turns over.
Changed fuel filter as I had one there no debris at all no metal etc. Turn van over still not activating the in tank pump filter bowl is still dry.

Disconnected plug at passenger side chassis leg believe that goes to fuel pump yellow and grey trace wire no power to it.

Also fuse 5 PCM fuse has no power with ignition on but now sure if it should have. Fuse is fine have swapped it.
Anyone know if this fuse should be powered ?

Have been looking about ecu etc connections can’t find anything obvious. Honestly tho how crap is the setup with the ecu for getting water lying on it.

Any help appreciated

Have a forscan cable arriving tomorrow see if it can shed any more light.
Spaceman210
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Re: 2.2 66plate cut out now won’t start no power to tank pum

Postby dumper » Sat Sep 12, 2020 2:45 am

Try the search bar I’ve seen a post similar to yours not sure if this is the one viewtopic.php?f=65&t=201246&p=1701093&hilit=No+power+to+fuel+pump#p1701093
MK 8 L4 H3 Motorsport campervan
Past camper vans
1974 mk1 v4 with 2.0 pinto fitted
1986 mk3 2.5 di swb
1990 190 lwb 2.5 di
1998 100 lwb 2.5 di
2006 350 jumbo 135 tdci
dumper
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Spaceman210 » Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:09 am

Cheers for the reply. Iv been searching all. I’m the last one to post on that thread. I tried closing the points up but doesn’t appear to be the issue.
Spaceman210
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Spaceman210 » Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:28 pm

Issue resolved will write it all up tonight.
Looks like main battery has failed and ecu has seen voltage drop and cut fuel system and others out.

ForScan read it all and reset with new battery van running good
Spaceman210
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Spaceman210 » Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:07 pm

So got ForScan cable from amazon cheap 18 quid one with switchable HS and MS.

This morning I went to van and battery was flat( was fully charged the night before with smart charger) wouldn’t unlock etc. Second morning with this so stripped the seat out for better access to the twin battery setup mine has.

Stuck multi meter on front battery the auxiliary one and it’s reading 12.5v the rear main battery is reading 3V
Turn ignition on and the main battery takes power from aux. Both now read 12.4v crack the engine over and both read 10.4v

Fuel pump etc still dead and van fails to start. Also the dials are flickering around zero.

Plug in forscan after setting it up and it find faults on all modules around 20 of them and nearly all come back as low voltage short circuit/ground fault.( Bosch dealer laptop could only see low fuel pressure.)

I charge the main battery for a while and try clearing the Dtc codes active with the Forscan soon as it has done this I hear the fuel pump kick in.

Jackpot. Prime system a few times and it fire into life for a few seconds and dies. Due to air in system kept priming and bleeding and van starts and runs a touch rough for a min or so till it clears the last of the air.

Once running and revving free scanned again and all clear. Went and got a new main battery fitted it and went and done 30 miles varying speed and motorway cruise van driving perfect.

It appears when I broke down that the main battery died and ecu got low voltage so shut down fuel system etc and would not restart it as it say fault as open circuits or grounding faults.

The other thought I had was that the auxiliary battery gave enough to start the van after a few nights camping and once on the road few mins in the charging system switched over to the aux batttrry that had been draining into the main and caused low voltage to the PCM.

Big Thanks to Airthies for the help and giving me the idea to try the cheap cable and Forscan.

Hope this helps some others
Spaceman210
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Airthies » Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:47 pm

Just double check you've not got an erroneous drain on the battery.
An issue with the starter or alternator could cause issues.

Sent from my A55ho11 using Crapatalk
2009 350T200 LWB medium roof, converted to 4x4 (the 2nd namby-pamby job)
2008 350LWB 115PS ex welfare van
2008 350LWB 115PS ex fitters van "retired" :cry:
Bikes, yes, a few bikes.
V86+patch
V86.04
X-Prog
C81
Airthies
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Spaceman210 » Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:05 pm

Airthies wrote:Just double check you've not got an erroneous drain on the battery.
An issue with the starter or alternator could cause issues.

Sent from my A55ho11 using Crapatalk

Will do have old battery charged in garage and will check what it reads tomorrow will also check new battery voltage that I don’t have a parasitic drain fingers crossed.
Spaceman210
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Return to Transit Custom