*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

2.2 TDCI horrible knock under load + smoke

The all new 2013 Transit Custom Forum. Transits and Tourneos 2013+

2.2 TDCI horrible knock under load + smoke

Postby aiako » Fri Dec 11, 2020 4:45 pm

Hello All.

I need your help about a problem with Transit Custom 2.2 TDCI 2014 with 215 000 miles on it.

I went on a European Trip - 1700 miles in total.
Before I go full service was done. oil 5w30 , fuel and air filer, new thermostat. No fault codes present.

After the first 700-800 the engine started to behave.
Was idling fine , but when I rev it a bit around 1200 was shaking very slightly.
After another 100 miles under load in the rane of 1300-1700 rpm it started to knock so slightly like tappets or advanced timing.
Another 100 miles and now was shaking when on Idle and started shaking between the 1300-1800 range.
No fault codes present.
I started to drive it in the higher rpm 2000+ because could not feel any vibration or knocking.
It was getting bad. In the last 300 miles it started to knock badly under load , initially under heavy load but after if I was not careful with the acceleration it was Knocking and smoking even when accelerate slightly harder.

Got us back eventually. I have local garage that does only Transit vans , unfortunately they are very busy and will be unable to have a look at my one in the next two months. I will have to fix it myself. According to them my rocker plate should be faulty as it's making back pressure sound in the air bo. Explanation - when under load more fuel is injected and not burned. This is way it's knocking and smoking at the same time. I was thinking injectors but not sure. Idle now it's like on 3 cylinders , also when I accelerate slowly it's not smoking.

I left it to the morning to get cold so I can pull the injectors and check the rocker arm plate when cold
I was expecting to see something cracked or big gaps between the rocker and the valve. I got a bit disappointed when I saw that it looks okay , but I'm not 100% sure. Can you look at the video and tell me your thoughts on the problem.

https://youtu.be/ZySy7LE8_Ic

Thank you and be safe
aiako
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Re: 2.2 TDCI horrible knock under load + smoke

Postby aiako » Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:01 am

It was problem with two injectors.
https://youtu.be/FfzbM_2cMOk
aiako
Transit Fan
Transit Fan