*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

2.0 Wet Timing Belt

The all new 2013 Transit Custom Forum. Transits and Tourneos 2013+

2.0 Wet Timing Belt

Postby ryandavis » Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:20 pm

hi guys

I've heard some peoples engine getting destroyed due to timing belt failure, spoke to ford and we should replace every 100k/10 years, but they're seeing the odd one come in where the belt has prematurely degraded and wrecked the engine (even with normal servicing)

has anybody seen this and thought about changing it earlier?
ryandavis
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: 2.0 Wet Timing Belt

Postby blue estate » Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:32 pm

Just google or look on here about the 1.8lynx diesel with the wet belt
I've seen 60 plt connects/focus/smax/Mondeo in scrap yard with dead engines yet pre07 ones still going strong because they've got a chain

Sent from some where
72plt MG 5 ev estate Battery car
blue estate
Remapped by Vantuner

Postby Dan T » Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:44 pm

Officially it’s 120k interval, but seen details of premature failures at 80-90k. Mainly taxis actually.
Being cautious you’d go early at 70-80k or as soon as it’s out of warranty :lol:
Changing the oil more frequently will help, the diesel being dumped in the oil after a failed scr regen won’t do the belt any good.
Dan T
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby ryandavis » Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:59 pm

Dan T wrote:Officially it’s 120k interval, but seen details of premature failures at 80-90k. Mainly taxis actually.
Being cautious you’d go early at 70-80k or as soon as it’s out of warranty :lol:
Changing the oil more frequently will help, the diesel being dumped in the oil after a failed scr regen won’t do the belt any good.

Hi dan thanks for this i will get it done on my next service :D
ryandavis
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Chrisp74 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:55 am

viewtopic.php?f=64&t=204983
Don't pay for a belt just yet. Looks like there's a recall for belt inspection.
Chrisp74
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby woodbutcherbower » Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:21 pm

Chrisp74 wrote:https://fordtransit.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=204983

I just checked Ford ETIS and there's no outstanding recall on mine (67-plate 290 170PS). I do change my oil every 6k though, so I might stand a faint chance of not blowing up an engine :|
woodbutcherbower
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Chrisp74 » Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:57 am

woodbutcherbower wrote:
Chrisp74 wrote:https://fordtransit.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=204983

I just checked Ford ETIS and there's no outstanding recall on mine (67-plate 290 170PS). I do change my oil every 6k though, so I might stand a faint chance of not blowing up an engine :|

Our 16 plate 2.0 was showing on ETIS as needing the recall but that notice was removed after a couple of days, Its mentioned in the other thread there is a parts supply issue so I'm thinking your van might still be under belt inspection recall.
I too am changing oil similarly early, as you say this should help!
I'm going to take a peek inside the rocker cover and have a nose myself. :shock:
Chrisp74
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Tillotsont80 » Tue Aug 02, 2022 7:18 pm

I’ve got a 2018 transit, it seems mine has just had problems not sure on the extent but has caused problems relating to the brakes etc too.
Spoke to ford and they said that my van wasn’t on the list from the manufacturers!. I’ve only done 62000k and it’s been serviced regular!.
When I spoke to ford they said they would be able to give a good will gesture towards the replace of a new engine!!. Not sure that’s good enough!!!
Tillotsont80

Postby Fordtransitcustom18 » Mon Feb 27, 2023 7:38 pm

Hi, just found this thread. I have a 2018 transit custom that’s cam belt has failed today. It’s only got 70k on the click and has always been serviced regularly. Ford quoted me 7.5k for basically a new engine, they said they would potentially offer a gesture towards it but I think that’s no where near hood enough. Has anyone had any joy in getting Ford to foot the bill?

Thanks
Adam
Fordtransitcustom18

Postby richirich » Tue Feb 28, 2023 7:32 pm

Hi ford transit custom 18... Sorry to hear you've had this common problem. I bought a 2017 custom ltd about a year and a half ago it had 95000 miles on it, full service history and I am the third owner.
I was concerned about this potential fault so i gleaned as much knowledge as I could about it and checked for any recalls on it and one was due. I took it in to Trust ford Wimbledon and they did the look down the oil filler while you wait check and much to my disappointment they passed it! I was hoping for a free new belt.
2000 miles later at 102500 miles the belt went. Luckily I had just driven in to London via the M4, smart motorway which could have been very scary, if not deadly! I got it transported back to trust ford with one days wait and they said they would inspect it. Thanks to this forum I was fully prepped on this topic and quoted them the "Field Service Action directive". Half an hour later the nice lady on reception said that Ford was taking full responsibility and that they would fit a free engine at no cost to me. I managed to get a curtesy van provided within two days and picked up my van with shiny new engine six days later and its run really well since. Will oil change every 6 to 10 k. Only other problem was with the DPF and regens which I eventually traced to faulty pressure differential switch, now regens pretty seamlessly even though I do a lot of London driving. Forscan is a great tool and I added the DPF percentage mod so I can tell when it might need a blast or a static blow out.
I was quite gobsmacked with this result but obviously incredibly pleased :D :D ...Was I just lucky?
richirich
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby metalworker0 » Tue Feb 28, 2023 9:53 pm

You were dead lucky .

As regards oil changes ..if you are doing it yourself, change at 6000

and keep eye on oil level ..if it starts rising ..that's fuel in oil ..and that's one of the things ford say buggers the belts up.

all the best.mark
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby richirich » Wed Mar 01, 2023 1:23 am

Hi Mark. I feel I was lucky with how smoothly and quickly the process went considering that the vehicle was out of warranty and that I was the third owner. I did have to push hard for the curtesy van!
Ford have stated their policy regarding this manufacturing fault very clearly in their Field Service Action document, sent to dealerships to help guide them.
I just asked for what Ford had said they would do and they did it. Its in black and white but probably only applies to certain manufacturing runs? There's my luck I think.
There is a long and detailed thread on here covering the 2lt euro 6 wet belt problems and this is were I found this document.
I did an oil change on the new engine at just under 3000 miles as the DPF was not functioning correctly and I changed the faulty pressure switch. I agree, 6000 mile changes are a no brainer even though they are crazy expensive (for oil changes!), used to change at 6k on my mk6, mk4 and mk2.... Any engine loves a frequent oil change.
richirich
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Chug » Wed Mar 01, 2023 11:42 pm

1991(J) twin wheel tipper 2.5di
1994(L) twin wheel tipper 2.5di
Chug
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby cyclingspongecake » Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:42 pm

I have 2017 model, I'm the second owner and had a recall letter out of the blue for this issue. Booked it in and the local dealer said yes I needed the belt replaced and there would be a delay while they get parts, but then they said don't worry, if your engine dies we'll just put a new one in :shock:

Fingers crossed that it gets done soon with or without a new engine!

chris
cyclingspongecake
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby lockiejohn » Fri Jul 21, 2023 1:09 pm

some of the failures could be down to your engine oil just had belt done on a custom garage said only use 0 30 oil theyve put ibn a german engine oil which is supposed to be recommended bremen o 30 to ford spec
lockiejohn
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Next

Return to Transit Custom