*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Sudden loss of power, rougher running 2013 2.2 155hp

The all new 2013 Transit Custom Forum. Transits and Tourneos 2013+

Sudden loss of power, rougher running 2013 2.2 155hp

Postby Eurotransit » Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:15 pm

Hi there,

My 2013 Transit custom has been having an issue lately, leading up to a very massive power loss today on the motorway. I was wondering if any one has ever experienced similar and knows a probable cause. I can't find the extact symptoms of what I experienced...

So for the past weeks the engine is suddenly much more noticable through vibration in the cabin of the car. Litterally put it away no problem, starting it up next time and it was just not as smooth. You really feel it in your seat, in the wheel. The whole car is just a little more shaky. What is weird to me is that the engine is still running a very steady 840-850 rpm just as normal. Starts up first touch also. But it does seem to sound a litlle rougher. Upping the idle by putting it in gear (foot on clutch) or just pressing the throttle pedal and the engine seems better, the vibration reducing. Very subtly I do feel that it has lost a little of its smoothness especially at cruis control steady speeds. Also the car sort of sounds like it is on a continuous DPF regen. The exhaust sounds louder, but there's no higher revs or higher fuel load that accompanies a DPF. Sometimes when the engine was warm upon restarting it would be back to normal, other times I could drive 40km's and it would still be shaky.

For a while the car would drive normally otherwise (off idle). Reach normal speeds etc. Untill today.

Today on the motorway the power just dropped off, massive power loss. I was accelerating from 0 to 105km/h but at 90 suddenly the car bogged down. Headlights gave a short flicker and the car was bogging for a while. I dropped to 70. As sudden as it happened the car smoothed out a bit. The bogging was gone, but the power still missing. I couldn't get back up to 90 and over 2000 rpm. The Eco mode button had turned on without me tocuhing it and wouldn't come off either. Slowing for a roundabout I could not decently get the car back up to 40Km/h after.

At a safe place (work) I shut the car off and checked for codes with a generic non forscan reader but nothing showed. Starting it back up 5 minutes later and the car ran fine, eco button responded normally. I'm 100% sure that later today when cold it will be shaky again.

I'm a little worried about getting stuck by the side of the road and big bills in the future.

Anyone have a probable explanation or experience with this?

Thanks in advance!
Eurotransit
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Sudden loss of power, rougher running 2013 2.2 155hp

Postby Eurotransit » Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:21 pm

I had to get the AAA to come out as I couldn't drive the van home. They found the following codes:

P0089:00:2c CMDTCs Fuel pressure regulator A performance
P2539:00-2c CMDTCs Low pressure fuel system sensor circuit

So I'm looking in to what these mean and where the components are to see if they are a diy jobby or a garage job.

Anyone experienced these before? Any knowledge on here that can help me?
Eurotransit
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Altransit » Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:10 pm

First thing to look at would be your fuel filter, as they're both fuel pressure related. It could be blocked, or any water in the filter could have frozen :idea:
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby Eurotransit » Sat Feb 13, 2021 4:21 pm

thanks. that will be step one...
Eurotransit
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Eurotransit » Sat Feb 13, 2021 4:55 pm

Fuel pressure regulator located. Low pressure fuel sensor I can only guess at...

Looks like a twoo bolt and one electircal connection replacement job. Fiel filter I'll do as well.

Anyone know exactly where the low pressure fuel sensor is?
Eurotransit
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Eurotransit » Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:07 am

Turns out it was a fuel filter issue. After the cold had gone the car behaved better and later it displayed a warning that the fuel filter was clogged and service was required. A new one is on the way.
Eurotransit
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Return to Transit Custom