*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Paint damage from road resurfacing

The all new 2013 Transit Custom Forum. Transits and Tourneos 2013+

Paint damage from road resurfacing

Postby j03ytransit » Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:07 pm

Afternoon, unfortunately been the victim of road resurfacing on my new build estate. Parked about 15ft away from the road work (as far as I could get on my drive).

End result unfortunately is my van is absolutely covered in what I assume is tar spots... way beyond a DIY repair I suspect, it would take weeks surely.

It looks incredibly bad in person, up close it looks like terrible rust. I've tried to patch test the usual claybar and cleaner etc but it's barely making a dent, can't get it fully off.

Just wondering thoughts on repair? Any recommendations, also happened to anyone else? Is it just a respray?

Obviously fighting the surfacing company and Barratt Homes to sort in the background.

Any advice would be awesome.

Cheers
J

Screenshot 2021-02-15 at 15.36.45.png

Screenshot 2021-02-15 at 15.36.57.png

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
j03ytransit

Re: Paint damage from road resurfacing

Postby ake » Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:33 pm

Speak to your local valeter, something like contamination removed will shift that
Ford Transit Custom 280S Trend 105ps
Does this train stop on Merseyside?
ake
Site Moderator

Postby Mike » Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:43 pm

If it's just tar, this will do it with very little elbow grease https://autosmart.co.uk/shop/tardis-1l
Mike
Wind up merchant!

Postby Punto443 » Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:09 pm

Auto smart or valet Pro tar remover, those surface redressing roads are a nightmare!

Just had to clean the wife's car from the same!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Your bullets cannot harm me, my wings are like a shield of steel

2018 Renault trafic
my old mk7
my old mk6
my xr3i
Punto443
Site Moderator

Postby MK8markie » Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:59 pm

Had similar, I just sprayed the whole area with WD40 waited for a couple of minutes and off it wiped, well after a couple of goes 8)
MK8markie
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby woodbutcherbower » Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:40 pm

Turps or white spirit dissolves tar really easily and is dirt cheap.

Go to your local supermarket and find the pan scourers aisle, you'll find the usual dish-washing sponges like Brillo pads which have a green abrasive side for scouring.

Don't use these (!!!!) - but find the 'Spontex' version whose pad is white (pic attached). They're non-abrasive, non-scratch and are designed for cleaning Teflon pans and other delicate surfaces. I've used these + white spirit loads of times to fetch off tar around the wheel arches and it works a treat - and leaves zero scratches or swirls on the paintwork. Put plenty of turps on via the sponge side, let it soak for a bit, and then scrub off with the white pad. Use kitchen roll to wipe off the smears, then give the van a wash and wax.

These pads are also great at gently cleaning off welded-on insects in the summer.

IMG_3151.JPG
woodbutcherbower
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby j03ytransit » Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:51 am

Thanks All, appreciate the advice.

Will try a few patch test with those methods to see which is most effective. Quite daunted by the scale of the job as it's the entire van.

Fingers crossed!

Hopefully the champagne transit will recover fully!

Will post the results to hopefully help others.
j03ytransit

Postby Mike » Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:23 am

j03ytransit wrote:Quite daunted by the scale of the job as it's the entire van.

That’s why I suggested Tardis, it’ll take you about 20-30mins and you won’t have to touch the paintwork. Just spray it on, wait a few mins, hose it off. Have a cuppa.
Mike
Wind up merchant!

Postby longhair » Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:26 am

I'm a motorbike valet and use autoglym products. Bikes have the problem of tar flinging off the rear tyre onto the swingarm and hot exhaust, but autoglym tar remover is fantastic for removing it with hardly any effort. You just spray it on and you can see the tar dissolving and running off. Try to avoid using any abrasive pads, you just end up putting micro scratches in the paint, not so noticeable with the colour of your van as say with black but should still be avoided. Use a couple of decent micro fibre cloths just to remove any stubborn spots. I know its a pain but if you use a good quality polish and wax after you will find it easier to remove in the future.
longhair
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby j03ytransit » Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:40 pm

longhair wrote:I'm a motorbike valet and use autoglym products. Bikes have the problem of tar flinging off the rear tyre onto the swingarm and hot exhaust, but autoglym tar remover is fantastic for removing it with hardly any effort. You just spray it on and you can see the tar dissolving and running off. Try to avoid using any abrasive pads, you just end up putting micro scratches in the paint, not so noticeable with the colour of your van as say with black but should still be avoided. Use a couple of decent micro fibre cloths just to remove any stubborn spots. I know its a pain but if you use a good quality polish and wax after you will find it easier to remove in the future.

Thanks for that, will order this today.
j03ytransit

Postby robnewton182 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:56 pm

Plenty of suggestions so far.
I use PowerMax tar remover. Turns tar spots to liquid in a few seconds & rinses off.
https://powermaxed.com/product/tar-off/
robnewton182
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Return to Transit Custom