*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Recent purchase and service issues?

The all new 2013 Transit Custom Forum. Transits and Tourneos 2013+

Recent purchase and service issues?

Postby Luka1 » Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:45 am

So, recently purchased a 67 plate custom, limited. The (Renault dealer) selling the van showed me a service book showing a first Ford service at 2yrs old, 30k miles and nothing since. The van Iam buying has now covered 42k miles and hasn't been serviced since.
I thought, OK, I will call the ford dealer that carried out the service and see what they did, get the service history. Turns out they did a 'Interim' service, which I now know is a nothing service, where they just look at it!!
So my recently purchased van, has had no services in 40k miles. I took it to my local Ford dealer for a 'full' service, oil, filter changes etc, and shocked at their prices for very little service. Basically, £305 for an oil and filter change, and the charged me an extra £93 for changing a fuel filter???
But my question really is, because my van was neglected in its early life with no oil Changes, do you think any damage was done?
Since the recent service, the gear change, thst was stiff before, is now slick and easy. So Iam guessing the service has improved something! Any similar experiences of ford servicing? Any tips on what is best to do for servicing in future? Carry on using ford or go independent?
Luka1

Re: Recent purchase and service issues?

Postby woodbutcherbower » Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:58 pm

Luka1 wrote:So, recently purchased a 67 plate custom, limited. The (Renault dealer) selling the van showed me a service book showing a first Ford service at 2yrs old, 30k miles and nothing since. The van Iam buying has now covered 42k miles and hasn't been serviced since.
I thought, OK, I will call the ford dealer that carried out the service and see what they did, get the service history. Turns out they did a 'Interim' service, which I now know is a nothing service, where they just look at it!!
So my recently purchased van, has had no services in 40k miles. I took it to my local Ford dealer for a 'full' service, oil, filter changes etc, and shocked at their prices for very little service. Basically, £305 for an oil and filter change, and the charged me an extra £93 for changing a fuel filter???
But my question really is, because my van was neglected in its early life with no oil Changes, do you think any damage was done?
Since the recent service, the gear change, thst was stiff before, is now slick and easy. So Iam guessing the service has improved something! Any similar experiences of ford servicing? Any tips on what is best to do for servicing in future? Carry on using ford or go independent?

Hi mate and welcome. First thing to say is that Ford's recommended service intervals are loony-tunes in both my opinion and of many others on here. The interim service (which should have been done at 18k/12 months) is basically just an inspection as you say, and 'proper' servicing starts at 36k or 2 years whichever comes first. Way, way too long. I also have a 67 plate but I had the luxury of it being brand-new and I was thus able to cosset it. My best advice is therefore this;

1 Change your oil and filter much more frequently. I do mine every 6k which is probably OTT, but I'd suggest 10-12k as a minimum. It's something which will massively prolong the life of an engine - especially one with a DPF which dumps diesel into the engine oil during regens and dilutes it. There was an 'oil dilution' software update a while ago which warns the driver when the oil is becoming thinner and less effective - a quick call to your dealer should be able to tell you if this has been done.

2 Avoid main dealers for routine servicing for exactly the reasons you describe. My local independent does an oil and filter change for £150 all in, using proper Castrol Magnatec 0W-30 and an OEM Ford filter which I'd recommend that you specify. At 3 years old your brake fluid is also due for a change, again available at any decent independent at a fraction of what Ford will charge you.

3 Has any damage been done? Buying any used vehicle is always a leap into the unknown - but if it's any consolation, a first oil change at 42k is only 6k outside Ford's normal spec - not ideal, but without a crystal ball, who knows? Modern engines are pretty resilient though - so if it runs quietly, smoothly, and everything seems OK - then it probably is. The best you can do is to start looking after the van from here on in and try not to get too paranoid about it. There are tens of thousands of Customs on the road, many of which get abused, thrashed and do huge mileages, but only 40k on the clock in 3 years for yours is a big positive.

4 The service book will also give you a list of additional service items which need doing at much longer intervals (including really important stuff such as the timing belt). Have a scan through it and make sure these items are being done at the appropriate intervals.

5 And finally - put your van's registration number into Ford's ETIS system (Electronic Technical Information Service) which is an online portal showing all of the information about your specific van. It's especially useful as it shows any outstanding recalls and so on.

Hope that helps,

All the best.

https://www.etis.ford.com/
woodbutcherbower
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Luka1 » Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:31 pm

Much appreciated answer, in the past I've always tried to look after my vehicles and usually 'over' service them. As I won't be doing high mileages, I think your idea of more regular oil and filter changes is something I will be doing a lot more frequently than the ford schedule.
Thanks again,
Luka1

Postby woodbutcherbower » Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:40 pm

No worries and you're more than welcome. I'm exactly the same - this van is my livelihood and I want it to see me through to retirement. Have a good day and thanks for the reply.
woodbutcherbower
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Chrisp74 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:51 am

Luka1 wrote:So, recently purchased a 67 plate custom, limited. The (Renault dealer) selling the van showed me a service book showing a first Ford service at 2yrs old, 30k miles and nothing since. The van Iam buying has now covered 42k miles and hasn't been serviced since.

It is possible your van has had the oil changed before you purchased it. The early 16/17 plate euro6 2.0 engine was subject to at least one "oil dilution recall" this involved dipstick changes and software updates. Part of the recall was changing the oil (think there was some time/mileage criteria that had to be met)
You might be able to find out if/when this recall was done.
I too go early on oil changes, planning to keep the van for a while.
Chrisp74
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Return to Transit Custom