*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Tourneo Bed

The all new 2013 Transit Custom Forum. Transits and Tourneos 2013+

Tourneo Bed

Postby SSC! » Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:16 pm

Hey folks,

I have a 2018 Tourneo, while I would love to have the pennies to convert into a full camper van I require it for work. I remember seeing some kind of slatted foldable thing that goes over the top of the seats once folded. Does anyone have such a thing and can they recommend a company?

Many thanks.
Don't follow me, I'm crazy........ and lost!!!
SSC!
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Tourneo Bed

Postby Philbo » Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:39 am

We got one of these last year. Works a treat

https://infinitycustoms.co.uk/products/ ... -kombi-bed
Philbo

Postby DCW1 » Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:33 am

Phil, that link looks great. We are keen to cobble together something similar (but far less refined!) while we decide if it works for us. Do you have any photos of it actually fitted in your Tourneo please - the website makes it look a bit generic in the CAD diagram... Do you keep the 2nd row of seats in place and upright? (We have kiddie seats in these) Thanks.
DCW1
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby ghosttt » Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:18 am

How did you get on with this? I'm looking to pick up a Tourneo to build a day van as they seem far better value than a Transit Custom and will need something similar while I build funds for the full conversion.

The bed Phil linked doesn't look like it would fit a Tourneo at all as the rear HVAC pillar would be in the way.
ghosttt

Postby DCW1 » Thu May 06, 2021 4:28 pm

@ghosttt - only picked up our Tourneo last week. Still getting a feel for how we'll use it and measuring up. Got it mainly as a "car" (hence the Tourneo rather than Transit), but looking at options for a flexible day-van set up.

Ideally I'd like to have a basic modular "box" arrangement in the back, so I can take out the 3rd row of seats and either stick in a bike rack/holder, single bed, double bed, "kitchen" unit, etc.

Agree that the linked bed wouldn't fit with the AC unit. When I get brave enough, I'll start pulling off some of the trim to see how the ducting is routed - and where I can reclaim some space.
DCW1
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby ghosttt » Wed May 12, 2021 9:56 am

Sounds like we're going to end up with similar vans! I did come across some photos of the HVAC pillar stripped back but I'm not able to find them at the moment.

It's absolutely massive underneath though. I had originally planned to reduce the ducting down as much as possible but I think removing it completely will be the better option, albeit a shame to lose rear cooling.
ghosttt

Postby Malroy » Thu May 20, 2021 9:34 am

Hi all,
I'm new here too having picked up my 20 reg Tourneo Custom a couple of weeks ago. I have been researching same as you and looked at many bed solutions on the net including that from 'Infinity' and all very clever indeed. Very interesting to read your thoughts.
What I need is an occasional camper so everything needs to be removable as it's a must for me to keep the versatility. I don't want a camper van as my daily.
Early days yet but I think I'll end up making the bed system myself with ally extrusion frame (3rd row seats removed) fixed to seat floor rails, topped with 18mm Birch ply boards with extension supported by folded 2nd row seats. I too have given the rear HVAC some consideration and have concluded that cutting the ply myself to profile around it, the space it takes up really makes little difference to the sleeping area. Perhaps I'm missing something?
Been looking at awnings too and again it has to be removable and I certainly will not be drilling holes in my roof to fix awning brackets or rails. My thoughts are Tuff Trek or ARB pull out type awning mounted from roof bars or perhaps a drive-away awning rail. Big plus for pull out type of course is that you're not taking up valuable internal space stowing a drive-away type.
Sorry for going on a bit but hope it helps in some way.
Cheers
Malroy
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby DCW1 » Wed May 26, 2021 10:02 am

Hi Malroy,

Same here re occasional camper, day van, bike transport, removals van, sports team taxi, etc. My main consideration is to transport 2 adults & 2 young-ish children, so I won't be getting rid of the HVAC since this will be crucial to keep the little people in the 2nd row quiet on long journeys in the summer!

I've got some Kiravans (Scopema) swivels for the driver and single passenger seats. I easily fitted the passenger side but I'm dreading the driver's one due to handbrake alterations (lowering may be needed, although a new bracket is supplied with the kit).

I've got a LWB van, so for camping I'm looking to remove one of the 2nd row seats (keeping the middle seat and one of the side ones). This should allow for a large, full-width bed (up to 1.6m wide and 1.7m-ish long?), with a seat's width to extend this slightly further into the gap from removed 2nd row seat area for my legs... Also looking at how to spin the front seats to face rearwards and form another bed across with a bit of ply sheet bridging (supported) between the front and 2nd row seats, while somehow still allowing access to one of the sliding doors... More thought still required!

My alternative is to throw a pole through the grab handles on the B-pillar, and rig a hammock/lee-cloth style "pod" from the pole, across the swivelled front seats, and then hooked over the front headrests. The "short-straw" child will then just sleep in the footwell of the 2nd row (leaving their car seats fixed in place on the 2nd row).

"Kitchen"-wise, this will just be underbed storage boxes accessible from the rear tail lift door - so all cooking outside, perhaps with some sort of drop-awning from the tailgate. I'll all be very trial and error with a view to refining over time to suit our needs.

I'm not particularly looking to do a pop-top conversion at this point in time (cost, re-routing HVAC outlets, lead time, and finding a LWB model that can keep a mattress stored up there).

Small steps to begin with. I like your idea of using ally profiles to build the bed frame - this is all new to me, so I'd be interested to know what system you end up using.

Good luck with your modifications and I look forward to seeing photos!
DCW1
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Malroy » Wed May 26, 2021 2:00 pm

Hi DCW1,
Great to hear your plans and the swivel for the front (passenger only) is on my list so nice to know it was straightforward.

The extrusion I've been looking at is from KJN Leicestershire, web site has link to download catalogue and prices. It's not cheap at circa £10/m plus the fixings but I'm thinking I probably don't need too much. There will be other suppliers as the extrusion design seems to be an industry std.

Done fair bit of research on the electrics side of things i.e. Leisure battery plus DC/DC smart charger etc which I found so interesting and I'd love to do it but..... Do I really really need such a permanent set up? This is very specific to intended use and personal need but for us I'm thinking perhaps not. Perhaps a "solar generator" lithium battery pack such as Jackery or Bluetti would suffice for the odd occasion we parked for a night "off grid". The norm will be campsite with toilets, showers and of course power hook up. On that point, I don't want a big hole in my Tourneo for an IP44 connection point. Have seen IP67 fittings the I'd hope to fit alongside my 13 pin tow bar socket. Bit more research to do but thinking I might be able to route the cable inside via the rear hvac box.

Great to hear from you,
Malroy
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Karina_T » Thu Feb 02, 2023 1:24 pm

Joining the chat now that I've got my 2018 Tourneo albeit a little 'non-standard' as it's an ex WAV so a bit more work needing doing on the back of mine to lose the ramp. Thanks to helpful people on this site I've got some info and tips to go on when I get a secure place to work on it.

Question for those with a front passenger double seat - has anyone tried the Custom Shop Designs swivel (Kiravans don't do a double swivel - yet)?
This one?
https://www.customshopdesigns.com/produ ... uk-model-1

I'm wondering about getting one of these but assume that I'd lose the underseat storeage 'box' area if I do? I mean, the space would still be there but not the enclosure - or, am I wrong and you can retain this - but access the swivel fixings from within the box? I guess it would have to be clear of extraneous items to allow the swivel to work though...

Also, am looking for bed solutions and the Infinity design had me excited until... I realised that it takes up tons of space - basically the whole of the area behind that first rear seat row. I'll need some of that space to carry bikes/kayaks etc so I'm looking for a design that is much more compact in length - probably more folds - that just sits at the back.
Looking at Campal for their bespoke solutions - I do like the idea of the slide out cooker business underneath the tailgate.
https://campal.co.uk/campal-split/

This is what I'm hoping to replicate - my bed solution for my (sadly non ULEZ compliant) VWT4 kombi. It worked a treat. I had wider boards for when there were two of us, and an extra fold out mattress. So simple. Bit of a faff to set up quickly as it involved taking things out the van etc but cheap, effective and so comfy.
A couple of pop ups and two identical boards resting on them. You can see where the two boards meet in the second image. Both just lay on the pop ups without any problems - the front one obviously lying on top of the seats at the front.
Some non-slip rubber matting to stop squeaks etc and the fold out mattresses were from somewhere like IKEA ages ago.
The only thing was accessing my stuff under the pop ups but of course, the Tourneo has double side doors.

ImageIMGP1228 by Karina Townsend, on Flickr

ImageIMGP1229 by Karina Townsend, on Flickr

Not sure about the image embedding - my pictures are HUGE - so this is the link to my pics on Flickr:
https://flic.kr/ps/3Vaanh

And my very last question for today is:
Has anyone taken down the trim to insulate behind? I want to put sheeps wool in - it's what I used in the T4 and it was fantastic for sound and most importantly thermal, insulation.
I actually used hemp for the roof - it was all in a kit from AMDRO but they don't sell it anymore as you can readily get the sheeps wool from B&Q.
I've got the prying tools and have heard about the strong magnets in the roof lining to hold the middle up so I'm getting ready to give it a go.
Any tips and/or advice would be gratefully received before I make a start.

Looking forward to getting away in it. Loving the tip up rear seats already - so much extra space in the back.

Oh, but when I go off camping alone I've a mind to turn the back seats around so that they'll be facing the tailgate to act as a sofa. Plus, I can actually stretch out across them when they're all folded down so I'll be working on an ultrasimple bed idea that just incorporates the seat backs.

More when I get going on it. :D :D :D
Ford Tourneo Custom 2.0 310 EcoBlue Titanium 128bhp 284.00 torque Independence RS model
Karina_T
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Return to Transit Custom