*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

2015 Tourneo Custom Revving by itself, white smoke.

The all new 2013 Transit Custom Forum. Transits and Tourneos 2013+

2015 Tourneo Custom Revving by itself, white smoke.

Postby Xxbecquixx » Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:09 pm

Please help oh wise ones!
I have a Tourneo Custom minibus.
High mileage 140.
No warning lights on the display.

About a month ago trying right at lights doing 20 the motor revved itself massively, I switch off the engine heard a few rattles and cranks, rolled for a few moments to a stop, waited a few minutes in fear, turned back on and every came to life.
I’ve parked it up and not used it due to lockdown.
Needed to pop the local shop the other day and jumped in, noticed a ‘hot smell’ a slight noise, nothing that would probably be heard by anything other than mothers hearing, white smoke kicking out all the place.
Had 3 mechanics look at it...
1st Advised to service motor, couldn’t explain what may have happened.
2nd Reckons the con rod has gone, didn’t carry out any diagnostic tests.
3rs Reckons the pistons, bottom of the engine is gone, again no diagnostic tests just mechanics hunch.

Two of said mechanics have advised to get a new engine but both don’t want the job, I have found a garage near by that have an engine for me, he wants £800 plus vat for the engine, reusing my diesel pump and turbo, plus £750 to fit.

Please can someone give me some advice on what’s the best course of action???
I’m in the Surrey area, struggling to find anyone else to come and take a look.
Xxbecquixx

Re: 2015 Tourneo Custom Revving by itself, white smoke.

Postby p2thed » Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:32 pm

2.0 ltr, how is your oil level??
Over fueling injector causing it to run on/dilute the oil.?
p2thed
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby p2thed » Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:54 pm

Or a faulty turbo, internally leaking oil passed the seals. It really needs a good diag check. There is no point in throwing parts at it until you know what the cause is.Is the engine knocking??
p2thed
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Xxbecquixx » Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:26 am

p2thed wrote:2.0 ltr, how is your oil level??
Over fueling injector causing it to run on/dilute the oil.?

2.2tdi, oil level was on the low side x
Xxbecquixx

Postby Xxbecquixx » Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:27 am

p2thed wrote:Or a faulty turbo, internally leaking oil passed the seals. It really needs a good diag check. There is no point in throwing parts at it until you know what the cause is.Is the engine knocking??

I wouldn’t say massively making a noise, there’s a little bit of something.
Xxbecquixx

Postby p2thed » Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:43 am

You could try idle the van(when warm), and take out the dip stick to see if there is excessive breathing into the sump. The 2.2ltrs are known for pistons cracking. If you have ecessive smoke coming through the dipstick tube or even the oil cap then there maybe an issue with the bottom end.
p2thed
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Xxbecquixx » Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:14 am

p2thed wrote:You could try idle the van(when warm), and take out the dip stick to see if there is excessive breathing into the sump. The 2.2ltrs are known for pistons cracking. If you have ecessive smoke coming through the dipstick tube or even the oil cap then there maybe an issue with the bottom end.

I’ll get the old man to try that, that was what another fella told us, no.3 that the bottom end had gone, something to do with the pistons.

Also on a side note, before any of this happened I noticed the motor seemed to judder after a while of driving, could that be related?
Xxbecquixx

Postby p2thed » Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:35 am

Sounds more than likley
p2thed
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Xxbecquixx » Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:59 pm

Guys need a bit more help.
Ended up have a new engine fitted, they stung me for a new clutch, new flywheel, new alternator pulley, drive shaft, turbo.
Can’t remember if that’s all…..Now 4K lighter the problems have really started.
Got the motor back, massive loss of power, jumped out of first gear, steering felt heavy like there was a flat tyre, dash comp was saying ‘service now’ blowing out smoke.
Took the motor back to them to be told it was fine, had murders, they told me to leave it with them, they apparently replaced the steering pump, put another reman turbo on it and told us we where good to go.
Turned the motor on to warm up whilst getting the babies and came back it had turned itself off, three times after, turned off each time, revved it, stayed on, tried to drive conked out 5 mins down the road.
Diesel gauge read 60miles.
Rang the RAC, guy came out looked at me like ‘dozy woman’ asked me if it had diesel in it as the diesel pressure was only on 2000, should be in the 28000 range, put diesel in, motor struck up lovely and I was perplexed as to why my gauge is now suddenly lying to me, also temp gauge jumped straight to half way whilst cold.
Anyway carried on home, going up a hill the engine juts started to wind down and stall.
Got it back on and carried on down the hill same thing.
Rang them up and had fookin murders with them, they told me to bring it back AGAIN.
They apparently have no clue what it is or why the diesel level is now playing up.
They have apparently put a new EGR valve in and it’s meant to be running a lot better, they want it for another day to test the injectors.
PLEASE PLEASE can someone tell throw some ideas at me as to why this is happening now and how to fix it!

Cheers in advance x
Xxbecquixx

Postby Xxbecquixx » Sat Jun 05, 2021 5:33 pm

So spoken to the garage today, they reckon the have found that the egr was blocked off via a plate, taken this away, and apparently changed a few injectors and it’s still misfiring.

They reckon they sort one thing out and it leads to a new issue.
Xxbecquixx

Return to Transit Custom