*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Suspension question

The all new 2013 Transit Custom Forum. Transits and Tourneos 2013+

Suspension question

Postby 2020FMX » Mon May 03, 2021 3:57 pm

Not long ago I got a Bilstein suspension lowering kit fitted to my custom sport. It looks much nicer. But, the ride is annoying. I’ve had VW T5’s with lowered suspension and even though the ride was hard, it didn’t make you feel seasick.
But the transit does. I’m not a suspension expert by any stretch of the imagination, want your boiler fixed? I’m your man, but springs and dampers.... no.
Now, the front is ok, hard but ok. It’s the rear that causes the issue. The thing bounces like mad over the smallest of bump in the road.
I have noticed that the seats in the custom sport are soft and comfortable which is nice, but is it these that exaggerate the bounce or is the rear springs and dampers to blame?
Any suggestions or views on this matter ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2020FMX
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Suspension question

Postby Mike » Mon May 03, 2021 4:10 pm

If it's bouncing it'll be the dampers failing to control the springs. Are they adjustable?
Mike
Wind up merchant!

Postby 2020FMX » Mon May 03, 2021 4:19 pm

Mike wrote:If it's bouncing it'll be the dampers failing to control the springs. Are they adjustable?
I don’t know tbh like I say, I’m not an expert. The mechanic said he’d set them up, but I’m not sure.. here is a photo of said dampers...

2020FMX
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Mike » Mon May 03, 2021 5:15 pm

I’d be interested to ask him how he ‘set them up’ they don’t look adjustable to me? If they’re not adjustable then they will only work with one particular spring rate. Without knowing if they make a different damper for 270,290,310,330 it’s difficult to know what yours are built for.
Mike
Wind up merchant!

Postby 2020FMX » Mon May 03, 2021 5:19 pm

Mike wrote:I’d be interested to ask him how he ‘set them up’ they don’t look adjustable to me? If they’re not adjustable then they will only work with one particular spring rate. Without knowing if they make a different damper for 270,290,310,330 it’s difficult to know what yours are built for.
They were advertised as dampers for a short wheel base custom sport 2014-2020.

2020FMX
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Mike » Mon May 03, 2021 5:31 pm

2020FMX wrote:They were advertised as dampers for a short wheel base custom sport 2014-2020

So they’re to suit a standard 290 spring, if you have the standard 290 springs they should be fine, if as it sounds, you have different (lowered) springs they won’t be correct and they won’t control/damp the spring properly.
Mike
Wind up merchant!

Postby 2020FMX » Mon May 03, 2021 5:39 pm

Mike wrote:
2020FMX wrote:They were advertised as dampers for a short wheel base custom sport 2014-2020

So they’re to suit a standard 290 spring, if you have the standard 290 springs they should be fine, if as it sounds, you have different (lowered) springs they won’t be correct and they won’t control/damp the spring properly.
They are for vans already lowered, which mine was. I purchased a complete Bilstein front and rear lowering kit. Which was front springs and dampers. And then a lowered rear leaf spring. Then I bought these rear dampers separately to go with it.
So in theory they should do the job? Or am I missing something?

2020FMX
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Mike » Mon May 03, 2021 5:46 pm

Sorry you’ve lost me: The ‘complete’ kit was or wasn’t front struts, rear dampers and front/rear springs?
Mike
Wind up merchant!

Postby 2020FMX » Mon May 03, 2021 5:59 pm

Mike wrote:Sorry you’ve lost me: The ‘complete’ kit was or wasn’t front struts, rear dampers and front/rear springs?
LOL, the first kit was front springs, dampers. And lowered rear leaf spring. Then I purchased the rear dampers to go with the kit.

2020FMX
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Altransit » Mon May 03, 2021 6:13 pm

From what you've written, although I could be confused, the rear dampers that you purchased were for a standard Custom Sport, so may be incorrect for one that's been lowered :?

As Mike said, they don't look to be adjustable, so it's hard to see how they were "set up" If your van is "floaty", and making you seasick, the dampers can't be doing their job :(
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby Mike » Mon May 03, 2021 6:15 pm

I think he’s got dampers for lowered springs, but probably not for the spring rate of his lowered springs, so as you say, they’re not damping.
Mike
Wind up merchant!

Postby 2020FMX » Mon May 03, 2021 6:23 pm

Mike wrote:I think he’s got dampers for lowered springs, but probably not for the spring rate of his lowered springs, so as you say, they’re not damping.
Yes I do have lowered springs which came with the lowering kit. Although they came with the Bilstein kit, they were generic and not Bilstein leafs.
So would changing the leads to a Bilstein set cure the problem? So, how do I know what leaf springs to get. Obviously the sales gumpf is wrong.

2020FMX
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby thSman » Mon May 03, 2021 7:39 pm

So you bought the full bilstein kit together from Vanstyle etc for £1199 which is front dampers and springs and rear leaf and damper or did you buy is all separately ?

There is a review of this kit on Vantribe.co.uk which they state is great without any of the issues your having.

I think I'll go with MODMYCONNECT.CO.UK (MYC) when my Sport arrives as they get good reviews.

I have emailed Bilstein before and got a response, why not send your part numbers off and they can confirm you have the right rear damper ?

I didnt know the Bilstein rear dampers were adjustable, The MYC ones are, their called GAZ and are custom order (or so they say).
thSman
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby 2020FMX » Mon May 03, 2021 7:54 pm

thSman wrote:So you bought the full bilstein kit together from Vanstyle etc for £1199 which is front dampers and springs and rear leaf and damper or did you buy is all separately ?

There is a review of this kit on Vantribe.co.uk which they state is great without any of the issues your having.

I think I'll go with MODMYCONNECT.CO.UK (MYC) when my Sport arrives as they get good reviews.

I have emailed Bilstein before and got a response, why not send your part numbers off and they can confirm you have the right rear damper ?

I didnt know the Bilstein rear dampers were adjustable, The MYC ones are, their called GAZ and are custom order (or so they say).
The kit purchased was from an eBay seller this is the kit
The kit didn’t contain the rear dampers so I purchased them separately from the same seller. They were marked up as the correct dampers for the year of van I have. The only bit that’s not Bilstein is the leaf springs in the kit.

2020FMX
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby conrod » Mon May 03, 2021 8:29 pm

I watched the youtube video on installing the Biltein kit last year. If I recall correctly the installer cut the rear bump stops down after installing the rear springs. If this has not been done, the rear will sit on the bump stops at ride height, which will give a very stiff ride in the rear, as well as rubbish grip. Poke your head under the back, and have a look if the bump stops have a gap between them and the rear axle.

IMG_2528_LI.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
conrod
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Next

Return to Transit Custom