*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Another DPF thread.

The all new 2013 Transit Custom Forum. Transits and Tourneos 2013+

Another DPF thread.

Postby Brahoy » Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:52 pm

Hello Guys,

Please help me with this one.

I have read just about every thread on this forum and elsewhere. Non seem to relate to the DPF issue I am having.

I will try and give as much info and details.

My 2016 custom is constantly regenerating. Exhaust note changing, high fuel usage, rough idling, heating screen coming on etc.

I drive 1/2 hour in the morning, same on the way home. So yes short journeys mainly. If the regen starts then I would try and let it complete.

It tries to regen on every trip out.

Having just travelled 3 hours both ways on the motorways, 70mph plus and it going into regen about four times in the same trip I though it was really time to look .

Garage says no fault codes. Filter not blocked at all but they did a forced regen anyway. Read 0% blocked afterwards.

The way home from the garage was fine, the next morning it does another regen and so on.

So it appears to be completing the cycle when I allow it to. All sensors, pump, glow plugs, vaporiser seem to be working.

Its got to the point where I have had to disconnect the screen heater spade connectors as these are melting from being on all the time.

What in your option would be telling it to do the regen. I am fairly happy in saying it is completing the cycle.

Thanks in advance.
Brahoy

Re: Another DPF thread.

Postby longhair » Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:33 pm

I'm afraid I don't have a answer for you, only my own experience. My 2014 custom with 145000 miles seems to regen quite often even after a motorway run of say 100 miles at 70 it will start a regen within a couple of miles after leaving the motorway. It used to worry me that something was wrong, but after a couple of years and no problems I just think it must be normal and I just don't worry about it anymore.
longhair
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Frag » Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:30 pm

I’d suspect a faulty dpf pressure sensor….
It may not generate any dtc,but if it’s faulty,it will show dpf back pressure that’s not actually there,which will ruin soot load calculations and keep triggering a regen…..
Frag
Ford Technician

Postby Brahoy » Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:14 pm

@longhair, thank you for the reply. That's good to hear someone else with a similar thing going on. Its been over a year of doing but seems more so these days. I do worry that it is doing some unnecessary or wear etc.

@frag cheers for your thoughts. I will put on a new sensor as they are pretty cheap. Are the sensor values logged at all? Can the garage check those?
Brahoy

Postby Chrisp74 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:30 pm

Brahoy, Forscan is a very good piece of sofware, and free! You only need to buy a ELM lead that connects to the van. If your confident, its quite easy to get yourself set-up to look at data.
Chrisp74
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Boomhauer » Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:15 am

I have the same issue.

Did 200km yesterday and regenerated twice. Today I did 50km on the motorway and it was already regenerating again..

So sick of this engine.
Boomhauer
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby carlburt78 » Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:48 am

Mine is a 2014 and I use it daily for long periods, I give it a good blast often but mine seems to regenerate after the long hard drive , so It starts a regen when I'm almost home so I have to take it back out
carlburt78
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Brahoy » Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:27 pm

Chrisp74 wrote:Brahoy, Forscan is a very good piece of sofware, and free! You only need to buy a ELM lead that connects to the van. If your confident, its quite easy to get yourself set-up to look at data.

This sound interesting thank you. I really do need a way of seeing what is going on.

Bit of an update although it might be too early to tell after weeks worth of usage.

Replaced the dpf pressure sensor and on my daily 1/2 hour drive it has reduced the regens to one try a day rather than two.

However I drove 3 1/2 hours straight at the weekend, all motorway miles at about 70-80mph.

Worked out the it doing a regen for 15mins, off for 5mins then on again. So roughly 4 in an hours driving.

So far as it appears to be completing a regen but being told incorrectly to run one.

Could anybody go into depth about the calculations that are done to make the regen happen?

This really does seem so common on the custom?
Brahoy

Postby coswurv » Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:48 pm

My 2015 2.2 m-sport does this it regens all the time like you say you can hear the exhaust note change sounds more raspy and also the engine fan comes on and tick over revs are slightly higher. I don’t have the heated screen on though during regens on mine but I do see it puff a bit of smoke for 1-2 seconds once on a regen which I suspect is how it cleans the dpf out as said above it’s done it since it was new so I just let it do it’s thing.
coswurv
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby gregd72002 » Sun Jul 04, 2021 11:14 am

I might sound like a broken record but my 2014 had same problem - regen every 50 miles or so. After mapping out EGR the problem is gone - now it remaps every 250-300 miles. Been ok for over a year now.
gregd72002
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby V184 » Sun Jul 04, 2021 4:41 pm

Frag wrote:I’d suspect a faulty dpf pressure sensor….
It may not generate any dtc,but if it’s faulty,it will show dpf back pressure that’s not actually there,which will ruin soot load calculations and keep triggering a regen…..

In other words no fault found (your going to have to live with it well at least while its in warranty !)
V184
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Frag » Tue Jul 06, 2021 10:22 am

On a ‘16 it’s already years out of warranty….

And he’s changed the sensor,and it halved the amount of regens so not sure about the ‘no fault found’….
Frag
Ford Technician

Postby V184 » Tue Jul 06, 2021 1:28 pm

Frag wrote:On a ‘16 it’s already years out of warranty….

And he’s changed the sensor,and it halved the amount of regens so not sure about the ‘no fault found’….

Yes i realise its out of warranty, the point i was trying to make was IF it was you would be stuck with the problem !
V184
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Frag » Tue Jul 06, 2021 2:20 pm

IF it was in warranty we would test the DPF sensor,and replace it if faulty,
But to do this you need a mityvac and at least a multimeter,preferably the ability to data log the sensor,and to know what readings you are looking for.

Most people don’t have that equipment or info so it’s easier to ‘try’ a new sensor…
Which he has,and if regens having changing clearly it was faulty
Frag
Ford Technician

Postby V184 » Tue Jul 06, 2021 4:28 pm

Frag wrote:IF it was in warranty we would test the DPF sensor,and replace it if faulty,
But to do this you need a mityvac and at least a multimeter,preferably the ability to data log the sensor,and to know what readings you are looking for.

Most people don’t have that equipment or info so it’s easier to ‘try’ a new sensor…
Which he has,and if regens having changing clearly it was faulty

Thats good to hear :roll:
V184
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Next

Return to Transit Custom