*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

To disc or not to disc change

The all new 2013 Transit Custom Forum. Transits and Tourneos 2013+

To disc or not to disc change

Postby edmonstonereunion » Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:04 pm

Im a little puzzled on this one - hope someone can help. Tourneo Custom 63 reg LWB 155BHP 9 Seater. In May 18 at 41k miles an advisory on the service popped up relating to corroded discs - green / yellow warning! (yes whatever!). Then May 19 at 50k miles Front brakes were flagged (4mm pads and 32mm discs) whereas rears were OK at 8mm pads and 15.7mm discs. So by July 20 at 59K miles I had the rear and front pads changed but nothing on the discs (since May 18 there has been no advisory or comments on discs pop up!) and also the brake fluid changed. There was a comment again re 4mm and 32mm discs once again on the front (weirdly!). So my quandary is now at about 65k miles AND a 3k trip planned for this Summer do my discs need to be changed urgently or can it wait until after this 3k road trip is completed in the Autumn. With new pads last year and no recent mention of the discs I'm unsure... would rather save the cash for now. Thanks everyone.
edmonstonereunion

Re: To disc or not to disc change

Postby Mike » Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:24 am

The discs will have a minimum thickness stamped into them. Compare that with what yours actually measure, then you’ll know how fast they’re wearing and you can make an informed decision on how urgently they need changing. Ford dealers are quite keen to change discs and pads well before they actually need it. Find a trusted local garage to do the work if you can’t do it yourself.
Mike
Wind up merchant!

Postby edmonstonereunion » Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:41 am

Thanks ever so much indeed. Thats an option. Thanks
edmonstonereunion

Postby Chrisp74 » Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:27 pm

Disc minimum thickness is 30mm I have just replaced a set. Don't leave them for too long. My van, 16 plate 55k miles owned from new, suffered from complete disc failure. The connecting posts between the disc surfaces was badly corroded and eventually failed. Will leave you stranded. The pads have never been down to the metal and the other front disc measured at 30.2mm so although worn not at min thickness. I was shocked at the corrosion and surprised at a 5 year old parts condition.
Chrisp74
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby edmonstonereunion » Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:10 pm

Thanks for that reply @Chrisp74. Im puzzled though if minimum disc thickness is 30mm then in May 19 at 50k miles Front brakes were 32mm discs whereas rears were 15.7mm discs (this MUST Have been an error?). Since then I had pads changed last year at 59k but there was no 'you have REALLY got to get the discs changed NOW' chat. I dont get it if they were both that worn down all that time ago. Also when you say the minimum is 30mm - is that when Ford say they have to be changed or they fail / burn out at 30mm? Thanks. But yes my minibus van is 63 plate and 65k and owned from new. Mostly driven light / empty and when laden then motorway miles! But still!
edmonstonereunion

Postby Chrisp74 » Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:41 am

The 30.00mm minimum thickness was stamped on the new disc.
I have always checked disc thickness against the manufactures spec. Now I will always have a good look down between the disc faces for corrosion!
Chrisp74
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby woodbutcherbower » Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:10 pm

Ford main dealer 'strongly recommended' that I change my front discs during a 'vehicle health check' inspection.

At 31,000 miles :lol:

I just got past 43k, and had my local trusted independent look at them during a tyre change. The lad said "there's a bit of a lip on the front ones, bring it back in 7-8000 miles because they'll just about be ready by then".
woodbutcherbower
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby edmonstonereunion » Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:01 pm

Chrisp74 wrote:The 30.00mm minimum thickness was stamped on the new disc.
I have always checked disc thickness against the manufactures spec. Now I will always have a good look down between the disc faces for corrosion!
Ah thanks - so originals likely to be different - thanks.
edmonstonereunion

Postby edmonstonereunion » Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:03 pm

woodbutcherbower wrote:Ford main dealer 'strongly recommended' that I change my front discs during a 'vehicle health check' inspection.

I just got past 43k, and had my local trusted independent look at them during a tyre change. The lad said "there's a bit of a lip on the front ones, bring it back in 7-8000 miles because they'll just about be ready by then".

Blimey!!!!! Interesting though as I'm in a LOT more miles than that - makes me worried again! Haha! Better get them looked at soon then.
edmonstonereunion

Postby richbee » Mon Jun 28, 2021 3:55 pm

edmonstonereunion wrote:
woodbutcherbower wrote:Ford main dealer 'strongly recommended' that I change my front discs during a 'vehicle health check' inspection.

Blimey!!!!! Interesting though as I'm in a LOT more miles than that - makes me worried again! Haha! Better get them looked at soon then.

Lots depends on the type of roads & driving and weight you carry. Had my fronts changed for the first time at 65k, and only then due to warped disks - possibly caused by rust from lack of use over winter causing dragging and then overheating
richbee
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby topshelf » Wed Jun 30, 2021 5:04 pm

I posted a few years back, my 2015 custom had front disc failure at 28000 miles, the discs split in two ! I was lucky as it did not damage any of the other fittings near it. I went to my local ford commercial dealer and complained about it, the response was a blank face .
topshelf
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Return to Transit Custom