*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Hykke and OBD lock

The all new 2013 Transit Custom Forum. Transits and Tourneos 2013+

Hykke and OBD lock

Postby 25joinery » Thu Jul 01, 2021 8:45 am

Just bought a custom and want to secure it ‘properly’.

I want to fit the hykke security lock for the drivers door, deadlocks for the rear doors. I see from forum members that they have fitted the obd lock from Garrison OR seem to have moved the obd.

What are the pros and cons of moving over locking/locking over moving etc?

And finally, does anyone know anywhere good in South Wales that can do this for me please?

Many thanks,
Jim
25joinery

Re: Hykke and OBD lock

Postby Jezclayton » Thu Jul 01, 2021 4:43 pm

The Hykee is easy to fit so you might just as well do that yourself. Deadlock on the rear door is apparently easy to overcome. I would recommend a high level hook lock on rear doors with deadlock as well if necessary, though this is a pain if you are constantly in and out of the back of the van (I have both). High level hook lock on side door. I fitted all my own locks as it is not hard with fairly basic tools, though any local van security outfit will be able to do. You might also want to consider shielding for the side door lock. OBD is best secured with a purpose provided cover though there are numerous ways to tackle this. A good YouTube site for the various security measures available is sussexinstallations.
Current - Custom 290 L1H1 DCIV Limited 2.0 EU6 170ps 09/17
Previous - MK7 SWB 140 T280S Limited 2.2 FWD. 03/12 (Stolen)
Previous - MK7 MWB 130 T300 GLX 2.2 FWD. 04/07 (Sold)
Jezclayton
GLX Posse

Postby 25joinery » Thu Jul 01, 2021 5:28 pm

Thanks Jez,

I have had a bit more Time for reading/surfing since I posted this morning and I think I feel the same about the high level Hook locks. I’m not in and out all day. Usually on my own driveway or the clients to be honest so they make a lot sense.

Garrison do an OBD lock that seems reasonable so I’m gonna go for that too. Makes sense. Do it properly, do it once I guess.

I notice on a lot of security sites people have deadlocked the passenger door as well about window height?

I’ll check out that website you mentioned :D :D
25joinery

Postby 25joinery » Fri Jul 09, 2021 6:05 pm

After a bit of research on line, there were a number of companies in the South Wales area that fitted van security. I phoned around and asked questions about their method of fitting, what they did to protect any cutouts in the bodywork from corrosion etc.

I used a company called Titan Locks based in Ystradgynlais, who were head and shoulders above the others in terms of how conscientious they were in the fitting process, (the used magnetic mats all around the van where they were cutting, etc so nothing could get rubbed on bodywork, (tools/swarf etc) they Treated and painted any bare surfaces, and made the cutout 0.5 mm larger than the lock body so it won’t rub against the body or doors as they move and flex slightly when driving and they seal this gap with a permanently flexible filler/bonding agent. (Sounded a bit like Tigerseal)

I had high level hook locks, fitted to rear and side door. The drivers door lock had been banged in with a screwdriver so they removed that (which was job on its own because the key wouldn’t go in to it) and fitted an upgraded rep lock (with the larger stainless steel round bezel) and keyed them all to match.

They booked me in, were ready for me when I got there, and it was ready by the time they said it would be. And there’s a guarantee with their work and parts.

So if your in South Wales and need a set of locks look them up. I can’t fault them to be honest.

Just the OBD lock to do now.
25joinery

Postby Tezenforcer40 » Sun Aug 22, 2021 8:49 am

Im new to the transit scene and have just bought a 64 plate custom ive just fitted Garrison rep lock to the drivers door, loom protectors on front cab doors, and re routed the obd box to the centre in one of their protective boxes all went on ok, I'm still considering what to do with the rear and twin side loading doors as they have tinted glazing in them. Its not a work van as I'm retired and use it for towing my caravan with the motorbike in the back. This protection lark isn't a cheap hobby lol
received_270301507899812.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Bubba when I get home Ima gonna whoop your Mamas ass, cos sure as hell you never came from my loins
Tezenforcer40
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Return to Transit Custom