*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Transit custom gross weights

The all new 2013 Transit Custom Forum. Transits and Tourneos 2013+

Transit custom gross weights

Postby cyclingspongecake » Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:39 pm

I am considering buying a transit custom high roof, long wheelbase as a general vehicle and to convert to a camper van but I'm confused by the multiple gross weights available as I want to get something that's as economical as possible but has enough weight capacity as well.

So I have some questions that I cannot find answered to my satisfaction on t'internet and hoping people here can help..

1. How is the higher gross weight achieved (e.g. more metal?, slightly bigger ??) does a higher gross weight mean the base van is heavier to start with..?
2. Probably covered by the above.. would a higher gross weight van have a worse fuel economy?
3. Which engine is best and power output 2.0 130bhp ? I'm looking at the euro 6 2.0 because of better emissions and trying to avoid being charged too much when driving in areas where there are emission zones.
4. Realistically what is the fuel consumption .. does it vary much between the different engine power outputs?
5. Does anyone have any experience of remapping these .. I've had several cars and my current big van (Renault Master) remapped, all with good results/better economy.
6. Is there actually much difference between the 2.2 and 2.0 in terms of fuel economy and would a remapped 2.2 be the same/better performance/economy ...?
7. Much difference in fuel economy between high and low roof..?
8. There seem to be a fair few 'higher mileage' vans around, I'm generally hunting below 70,000, but how good/rugged are the engines in these ? Could I safely risk a higher mileage one and still get some years out of it? Btw are they cam belt or chain driven?

I know these may not be simply answerable and there are compromises to be made but gives me a bit more to narrow down the options.

Thanks!

Chris
cyclingspongecake
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Transit custom gross weights

Postby dumper » Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:40 pm

I’ve no experience of the custom but
1 gvw will probably be down to springs and tyres maybe larger brakes
2the more weight you carry the more fuel you will use
3 I’ve usually found that higher output engines can give better fuel economy as you do less gear changes and you don’t need to stress them as much as lower powered vans.
4 if you want euro 6 it will have to be 2.0 the only 2.2 euro 6 will be a minibus
5 I’d say yes if done by vantuner
6 if you want euro 6 it has to be 2.0
7 yes as you will have more drag
8 have a look through the who’s got the highest mileage thread will give an idea
MK 8 L4 H3 Motorsport campervan
Past camper vans
1974 mk1 v4 with 2.0 pinto fitted
1986 mk3 2.5 di swb
1990 190 lwb 2.5 di
1998 100 lwb 2.5 di
2006 350 jumbo 135 tdci
dumper
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Re: Transit custom gross weights

Postby Altransit » Sat Jul 10, 2021 11:05 am

2.2 will be a chain, which are, on the whole, pretty reliable.

2.0 will be a wetbelt, which can fail early if not serviced correctly, although there are many around with high mileages. Oil changes are critical with these, have a look around here for posts regarding these 2.0 engines :idea:
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Return to Transit Custom