*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

66plate Transit custom poor/non start when cold.

The all new 2013 Transit Custom Forum. Transits and Tourneos 2013+

66plate Transit custom poor/non start when cold.

Postby Morris12391 » Thu Jul 15, 2021 5:49 pm

Hi there. Apologies if this has been covered before have had a fairly good hunt through old posts and can’t see anything.
My father in law has a 66 plate transit custom 2.0 eco blue with 97000 miles that he has kindly asked me to sort out. It doesn’t start on the key when cold will crank and crank until time exceeded but won’t start. Bump start it and run for a couple of minutes and it will start off the key and be fine all day until you leave it for a period of time time then same again. Drives fine, pulls like a train, no rattles doesn’t overheat and doesn’t pressurise coolant. No fault codes present. It’s been in to Ford today for the timing belt inspection recall so I asked them to look at this issue while they had it and they are telling me it needs an engine!! Apparently they’ve had the problem before and the cylinder liners had moved causing the fault. Perhaps it’s me but something doesn’t ring true there. Has anyone else had similar issues? Or come across this liner fault? Any input would be greatly appreciated before I pull the engine over the weekend and start stripping.
Thanks
Morris
Morris12391
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Re: 66plate Transit custom poor/non start when cold.

Postby Frag » Fri Jul 16, 2021 2:49 pm

I would recommend a compression test next,given those symptoms.
Frag
Ford Technician

Postby FJ111200 » Fri Jul 16, 2021 4:40 pm

That's exactly what mine is doing at the moment, same model and year and a 130ps but with only nearly 38,000 miles.
I've booked it in with Ford but they can't see it until 28th July.
What i do to start it, which seem to help, is to turn on the ignition and pump the accelerator a few times then foot off before firing up.
:idea: :lol: :roll:
FJ111200
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Morris12391 » Fri Jul 16, 2021 5:30 pm

Thank you for the reply I had thought that although not looking forward to the pile of bits you need to remove to get the glow plugs out. Compression test is first job on my list for tomorrow once I’ve done a replacement a chain on a customers mk7.
Haven’t tried pumping the throttle however being a new diesel with fly by wire shouldn’t make a difference but worth a try. Hopefully you get more help from Ford than I did. When I collected it I asked the guy on the service desk what exactly the problem was as I could really make sense of what they told me in the phone conversation to which he replied “don’t know mate I wasn’t dealing with it.” So I proceeded to ask if I could have a word with the mechanic who looked at it but low and behold he wasn’t in at the time. I’ll update here with any findings hopefully they’ll be of some use to someone in the future.
Morris12391
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby FJ111200 » Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:11 pm

FJ111200 wrote:That's exactly what mine is doing at the moment, same model and year and a 130ps but with only nearly 38,000 miles.
I've booked it in with Ford but they can't see it until 28th July.
What i do to start it, which seem to help, is to turn on the ignition and pump the accelerator a few times then foot off before firing up.

So my local Ford dealer had my van but all i asked them to do was to change the fuel filter as i couldn't get the clip off and was going by a process of elimination to get to the problem. Anyway, the original problem persists and so hooked up the FORScan diagnostics. This time it showed two fault codes which i'll show below. Now when i came to make the adjustments to the problems FORScan said i needed an extended license to make the adjustments or fix the problem. How easy is it to perform the actions required or will i make a mistake and fook it up altogether? My local Ford dealer can't see my van now until 24/8/21. Click on the images to make them bigger.
Screenshot 2021-07-29 113105.png

Screenshot 2021-07-29 113105.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
FJ111200
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Morris12391 » Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:40 pm

Not familiar with forscan but those codes would point me towards a low pressure pump fault. I wouldn’t be adjusting anything on diagnostics unless changing something caused the problem on the first place.
Morris12391
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby BerkshireVanCentre » Sun Aug 15, 2021 10:14 pm

Did replacing the fuel filter solve your issue?
BerkshireVanCentre
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Morris12391 » Tue Aug 17, 2021 7:08 am

BerkshireVanCentre wrote:Did replacing the fuel filter solve your issue?

Unfortunately not in my case. Engine is currently out on the floor I’m hoping to get to stripping it this week.
Morris12391
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby FJ111200 » Tue Aug 17, 2021 8:41 am

Frag wrote:I would recommend a compression test next,given those symptoms.

Managed to get mine seen to on the 10th August at Pentagon Ford and after a compression test which showed up 200+psi on all cylinders except number 2 which was 75psi they asked me for permission to take the cylinder head off, which i've agreed to.
Didn't get a progress report yesterday so will phone them by the end of play today.
What a fook up though on a 38,000 mile engine that i've done 7 oil and filter changes on and still got 6 months to pay for out of a 60 month term. I'm not holding out for much sympathy from Ford UK when i get in touch with them when the van is back with me but i'm going to lay it on thick.
Whatever it's going to cost me i hope it will be cheaper than getting a new van.
FJ111200
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Morris12391 » Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:25 am

FJ111200 wrote:
Frag wrote:I would recommend a compression test next,given those symptoms.

Managed to get mine seen to on the 10th August at Pentagon Ford and after a compression test which showed up 200+psi on all cylinders except number 2 which was 75psi they asked me for permission to take the cylinder head off, which i've agreed to.
Didn't get a progress report yesterday so will phone them by the end of play today.
What a fook up though on a 38,000 mile engine that i've done 7 oil and filter changes on and still got 6 months to pay for out of a 60 month term. I'm not holding out for much sympathy from Ford UK when i get in touch with them when the van is back with me but i'm going to lay it on thick.
Whatever it's going to cost me i hope it will be cheaper than getting a new van.

I spoke to Ford uk technical a couple weeks ago about mine and the guy said they’re seeing them up and down the country with the same fault and they don’t know what’s causing it at the moment. The compressions should be 290psi minimum according to Ford.
Morris12391
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby FJ111200 » Fri Aug 20, 2021 4:05 pm

Oh i am pissed off! Just had a call from Pentagon Ford and guess what, my van needs a new engine. Jeesus H Christ have i had enough.
I've asked them for the old engine just in case they are trying to pull a fast one and my next port of call is with Ford UK. Honestly i could fookin' swear. b*stard Ford. :x
FJ111200
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Morris12391 » Fri Aug 20, 2021 5:17 pm

FJ111200 wrote:Oh i am pissed off! Just had a call from Pentagon Ford and guess what, my van needs a new engine. Jeesus H Christ have i had enough.
I've asked them for the old engine just in case they are trying to pull a fast one and my next port of call is with Ford UK. Honestly i could fookin' swear. b*stard Ford. :x

Not good, sorry to hear that hopefully you’ll have some luck with Ford Uk as the mileage is so low. Let me know how you get on.
Morris12391
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby FJ111200 » Mon Aug 23, 2021 5:44 pm

Partial result. Got on to Ford Customer Services and so far they've agreed to give me £2000 towards the overall cost. Need to try and get a discount on the labour costs from Pentagon Ford. I'll be lucky.
FJ111200
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Chrisp74 » Thu Aug 26, 2021 8:02 am

Morris12391 wrote:Hi there. Apologies if this has been covered before have had a fairly good hunt through old posts and can’t see anything.
My father in law has a 66 plate transit custom 2.0 eco blue with 97000 miles that he has kindly asked me to sort out. It doesn’t start on the key when cold will crank and crank until time exceeded but won’t start. Bump start it and run for a couple of minutes and it will start off the key and be fine all day until you leave it for a period of time time then same again. Drives fine, pulls like a train, no rattles doesn’t overheat and doesn’t pressurise coolant. No fault codes present. It’s been in to Ford today for the timing belt inspection recall so I asked them to look at this issue while they had it and they are telling me it needs an engine!! Apparently they’ve had the problem before and the cylinder liners had moved causing the fault. Perhaps it’s me but something doesn’t ring true there. Has anyone else had similar issues? Or come across this liner fault? Any input would be greatly appreciated before I pull the engine over the weekend and start stripping.
Thanks
Morris

Hi Morris, have you got a theory as to where the compression is going? I'm struggling a bit to understand what's going on. we are saying when the engine is cold there is low compression on 1 cylinder, then when warm its fine and the compression returns? When cold the compression must be going into the crankcase?
Chrisp74
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby FJ111200 » Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:03 am

My theory is either pistons cracked, cylinder bore heavily scored or rings gone.
They tested my cylinder head and reckoned it was fine but when testing the pistons and bores, whatever fluid they used, disappeared into the crankcases.
I'll find out for definite soon, either when their tech tells me or when i take the old engine apart.
FJ111200
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Next

Return to Transit Custom