*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Another start/stop

The all new 2013 Transit Custom Forum. Transits and Tourneos 2013+

Another start/stop

Postby thedmc1 » Sun Jul 18, 2021 4:50 pm

Bought a custom and inherited all the problems previous owner decided not to mention
Day 2 out for a 10 minute run I pull off the motorway to busy roundabout with traffic lights to find the van stopping the engine and saying it will need to be manually restarted, did this a number of time on the roundabout and then decided it wouldn’t start, managed to get it going and pulled into a car park,
Not great,
The button on dash since I got the van has been lit up green which says off, button appears to do nothing at all when pressed just stays lit,
I was out yesterday aircon on max which is I’m guessing why it didn’t stop yesterday,
I have checked both batteries which seem to be ok both identical voltage at rest and at idle and under load from a/c in front and rear on max.
No fault codes
Only just got the van and quickly losing confidence in it already,
Is there any way to completely disable the start/stop or is there a reason why my button stays lit and does nothing?
I did use the search and couldn’t find an answer
Tourneo is a june 2014 model
thedmc1
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Another start/stop

Postby dumper » Sun Jul 18, 2021 6:51 pm

I’ve had the stop start turned off on my mk8 and the switch is lit up as off all the time so it can be done.
MK 8 L4 H3 Motorsport campervan
Past camper vans
1974 mk1 v4 with 2.0 pinto fitted
1986 mk3 2.5 di swb
1990 190 lwb 2.5 di
1998 100 lwb 2.5 di
2006 350 jumbo 135 tdci
dumper
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Frag » Sun Jul 18, 2021 6:55 pm

Battery voltages may be ok,but the stop start system looks at ‘state of charge’
Are both small square boxes close to each battery earth terminal connected ?
(Battery monitoring sensors)

The fact the switch is staying green/off,usually indicates it’s in a faulted state and won’t work,but there are LOTS of conditions that will prevent it from working…
Frag
Ford Technician

Postby thedmc1 » Sun Jul 18, 2021 7:09 pm

Frag wrote:Battery voltages may be ok,but the stop start system looks at ‘state of charge’

The fact the switch is staying green/off,usually indicates it’s in a faulted state and won’t work,but there are LOTS of conditions that will prevent it from working…
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
thedmc1
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby thedmc1 » Sun Jul 18, 2021 7:10 pm

thedmc1 wrote:
Frag wrote:Battery voltages may be ok,but the stop start system looks at ‘state of charge’

Looks like they are
thedmc1
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Frag » Sun Jul 18, 2021 7:15 pm

Yeah look to be both plugged in,
Really needs someone with diagnostic equipment / datalogger to look at the stop/start info.
This should state what is inhibiting operation.
Frag
Ford Technician

Postby thedmc1 » Sun Jul 18, 2021 7:25 pm

Sounds like a plan, I did have diagnostic machine plugged in when I got it as it ran out of fuel even though it was at quarter tank and 86 miles to empty, Rac checked codes and there was only fuel pressure at injector and pump due to no fuel,
Guessing you need to dig deeper to get information on start stop,
I will be happy if I can get it removed it’s a pain and never used it on my cars either,
Thanks for your input, it’s appreciated
thedmc1
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Frag » Sun Jul 18, 2021 7:31 pm

Anyone with good enough equipment to check the SS status should also be able to ‘turn it off’ in the car configuration parameters.
I’d like to know what it’s seeing as a fault tho as it may affect other engine management systems,before disabling it..
Frag
Ford Technician

Return to Transit Custom