*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Deactivating 'Welcome Home' exterior lights

The all new 2013 Transit Custom Forum. Transits and Tourneos 2013+

Deactivating 'Welcome Home' exterior lights

Postby mzietsman » Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:15 am

Does anyone know how to deactivate the headlights and rear lights coming on every time you open any of the doors on a 2021 Custom Limited? Mine is a camper so the doors are opened regularly, including late at night which results in me blinding all the sleeping campers around me at campsites (well anywhere really). I've been hunting for a way to change this but none of the solutions listed on the various forums seem to work for this van.

Any ideas?
mzietsman

Re: Deactivating 'Welcome Home' exterior lights

Postby dumper » Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:15 am

Someone has had this problem on hear I think they may have used Forscan or IDS to turn it off. If you try the search box you may find it .
MK 8 L4 H3 Motorsport campervan
Past camper vans
1974 mk1 v4 with 2.0 pinto fitted
1986 mk3 2.5 di swb
1990 190 lwb 2.5 di
1998 100 lwb 2.5 di
2006 350 jumbo 135 tdci
dumper
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby 16footgoose » Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:40 pm

I think there is an option called "Police Dark Mode" which stops the lights from coming on, but I think you need to plug into the van with a laptop to do it. I also have a camper (well, ongoing conversion) so it's something I need to look at soon too.
2019 Transit Custom 2.0 EcoBlue SWB DIY camper
Instagram build: https://www.instagram.com/16footgoose
16footgoose
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby MrT42 » Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:41 pm

I have this exact same problem.
If you leave the ignition key turned to the first position they wont come on. Far from ideal but not too bad if you are in the van anyhow.

J
MrT42

Postby clemmy » Mon Aug 23, 2021 12:57 pm

Same problem here... during last vacation I "solved" by placing some cloths on the front lights, every night...

My next (winter) project is hacking the side sliding door electric sensor. I'd love to make the van think it is always closed, even when I open it. Then, i will just use such door for getting in/out at night. Ideally, my hack will have a switch, so that I will activate the modification only while camping, then disable for everyday use as a car.
clemmy
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby clemmy » Wed Sep 01, 2021 4:31 pm

clemmy wrote:My next (winter) project is hacking the side sliding door electric sensor. I'd love to make the van think it is always closed, even when I open it.

I've done some test on my van and some research online.

From van inspection: the open/closed state of the sliding door is detected by a single sensor, it's a push button located on the C pillar, about 15 cm above van floor. It protudes towards outside, and it is "pressed" by the door when it is closed. Absolutely evident if you have a look.

Unfortunately, on my Tourneo there is no quick way to disassemble this button, nor to have access to it's wiring. It must be accessed from inside the van, but I need to remove the large plastic trim which covers the whole lateral side of the trunk. It might be easier on Transits, which have less plastic covers.
clemmy
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Return to Transit Custom