*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Rhino Aluminium Roof Rack Drag/Noise

The all new 2013 Transit Custom Forum. Transits and Tourneos 2013+

Rhino Aluminium Roof Rack Drag/Noise

Postby 76Lee » Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:21 pm

Hi all

I brought a new roof rack from Rhino having an old one on my van. Granted it was 15 years ago but it did last so I was happy to purchase another Rhino product.

I chose the Aluminium one because it looked a lot smarter and claimed to be lighter/stronger etc.

From 40mph onwards there's a lot a wind noise and a whistling coming from above the drivers and passenger head space. In the first instance I contacted the place where I brought it from and they asked me to double check
all the measurements of the bars making sure they were evenly spaced, square in the frame etc which it was. As it made no difference their next suggestion was to move the whole thing back which made the roller stick almost a foot out past the back doors (original instructions make the roller flush with the back doors, but a large overhang at the front). Again no difference with levels of wind noise and the whistle which is starting to make my dog twitchy when its in the van bless him.

Next suggestions from Rhino have been moving both front bars back to the fixed one, taking one of them off, and both of them off which actually cut all the noise out but left me a 2 foot short roof rack !!! I put one back on about 6 inches from the fixed bar and the noise came back, moved that about 6 inches from the front of the rack still the noise was there.

It looks as though I'm going to end up with a 500 quid roof rack that's 2 foot short and getting replies from Rhino saying they don't know why I am the only person getting problems with it!!! ive tried to video the noise which is difficult enough and they say they cant make it out when its clearly there !!

I would kind of put up with it driving down motorways at 70mph but you can start to hear it at 30mph and worse over 40mph its almost the sound when a back door or window isn't shut! At the end of the day I am a builder a new tidy van wont last forever but Ive took a lot of pride and spent a lot of money getting a brand new van with almost zero noise I cant even hear tools rattling around in the back.

I must have adjusted and moved it about 8 times now and I cant keep messing around with it. Please tell me I am not the only one!! :shock:
76Lee

Re: Rhino Aluminium Roof Rack Drag/Noise

Postby weary50 » Sun Sep 12, 2021 6:03 pm

I had a full length Rhino, with a deflector on the front, on a Traffic.
Fine up to around 45/50, but above that definitely needed the radio turned up.
Not a lot of fun on motorways!
Changed van to a Custom Sport, and opted for the folding bars. Absolutely brilliant, not a whisper when folded....

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
weary50
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby 76Lee » Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:01 pm

How strong are the bars? I'm generally carrying two sets of ladders and crawlers so quite a bit of weight.

I had a pug boxer before with the 3 bar rhino on but with so much weight it started to tear the roof after a few years. Mind you the little lugs the rack fixed to were a bit crappy.

No noise at all with that. Starting to wish I had brought the 3 bar system again rather than a full rack. Really disappointed for the money it cost. Will have to see what Rhino say

Starting to think its the dab box/aerial that's making the noise when its near the bars. Cant keep removing the cross bars though there's no point in having a rack!

Maybe a nearly new Rhino rack coming up for sale soon!!
76Lee

Postby MilesD » Wed Oct 20, 2021 4:10 pm

I've heard wrapping paracord or thin rope around the bars can also reduce / stop wind noise. Might look cool too.
MilesD

Return to Transit Custom