*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Abs sensor and reluctor ring

The all new 2013 Transit Custom Forum. Transits and Tourneos 2013+

Abs sensor and reluctor ring

Postby Hart_graham » Sun Oct 17, 2021 5:43 pm

Have 2015 custom 2.2l . Have changed both bottom ball joints. -nightmare. Drivers side first as the cv boot was split. When I got to the bottom ball joint it was obviously shot so replaced it. Bit of a pig but all went well. Had a job getting the abs sensor out but it came out after a bit of gentle persuasion. All reassembled and everything fine. When I changed the nearside bottom ball joint the hub came off slightly more easily but couldn't shift the abs sensor so unplugged it and left it in there. The hub off, I cleaned it up and could see the sensor sticking out . Changed the ball joint and reassembled. All fine and drives much better but then check engine light came on. Codes -4 off, point to the n/s front abs sensor so have resigned myself to changing the sensor but where is the reluctor ring; could it be that instead or as well? Changing the sensor will not be too bad although I expect I shall have to take the hub off again and drive it out from the hub as it seems pretty well stuck. But where is the reluctor ring?
Any help/advice welcome thanks
Hart_graham
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: Abs sensor and reluctor ring

Postby aln101tf » Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:20 pm

Are you still at this?
The reluctor ring is now a thin brown plastic ring on the inward facing face of the wheel bearing. It has metal segments hidden in it. Common on a variety of vehicles now.
They can get brittle and break up, then parts of it come unstuck and fall off.
It will sometimes still work even if some small segments are missing, but replacement of the hub and bearing is only fix, as the plastic ring is glued onto the inner face of the bearing.
You'd be very lucky to get the abs wheel sensor out without removing the hub / bearing. The sensor is quite a tight fit, and usually needs pushed out from the inside end.
Alan
Mk6 125/330 swb lr rwd 2.4L remapped.
Mk7 115/330 swb lr rwd 2.4L remapped.
Custom Tourneo swb 125ps 2.2L remapped and gearing lowered to T340.
aln101tf
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Return to Transit Custom