*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

2015 custom tailgate lock

The all new 2013 Transit Custom Forum. Transits and Tourneos 2013+

2015 custom tailgate lock

Postby Jezza61 » Sun Jan 02, 2022 11:05 am

The tailgate opening 'button' under the number plate light bar is intermittent in that I have to slam the tailgate closed hard or hit the number plate light bar for it to work. Not sure if this is a faulty switch, adjustment of the closing mechanism (for it to recognised closed?) or a need of lubrication to the closing device? Any thoughts / experience gratefully received :-)
Jezza61

Re: 2015 custom tailgate lock

Postby Jezza61 » Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:31 pm

So .......
Bought and replaced push button switch in tailgate handle ...... no difference :-(
Removed and tested electric acuator - Small motor, worm drive, and micro switch. Operating release mechanism. No different :-(
Noted only seems to have 7V ?? but this is consistent 7V and sometimes works and sometimes doesnt ..... Surely if it works with 7V sometimes then it will all the time?
Found connection block in tailgate (three wires in / out) which seems dodgy - held together with cable tie! Bit of fiddling seems to fix problem :-) so cut out connection block and connected up three wires with crimped connections ....... seems to have fixed it :-) Reassembled all mechanisms ...... working a treat ..... over and over again hearing it activate with door open :-)
Closed door ..... back to nothing :-( - no sound of any activation :-( :-(

Arrrrrrgh ...... I guess I am down to dodgy connection somewhere along the wiring of either live feed (constant live); Actuator signal circuit closed by operating new switch); or poor earth?

Any ideas / experience gratefully received :-)
Jezza61

Re: 2015 custom tailgate lock

Postby dunf » Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:03 am

Where the loom comes into the tailgate from the body of the van at the top of the tailgate near side. On older hatchback cars i've had - the weak point is always where the loom flexes during the opening / closing cycle. The wires are subject to breaking in these areas. Maybe cut the flexi cover and have a look?
dunf
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Return to Transit Custom