*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Headlight problem

The all new 2013 Transit Custom Forum. Transits and Tourneos 2013+

Headlight problem

Postby spike1974 » Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:30 am

Hi all

I have a problem with the headlights on my 2013 Custom. When on the automatic setting, at night, the front headlights only function as dipped headlights. This gives me just enough light to drive by (on unlit roads) but is undoubtedly dangerous. All other lights works fine, including the full beam and the side lights that come on when you turn. On manual setting it is the same but when I turn the headlights to 'off' the headlights come on, with everything else, i.e. back lights, off as you'd expect. I get a 'dipped beam bulb fault' error when I start up but this has been the case since I got the van (2-3 years ago) and I've basically ignored it since then. I'm not sure when the fault started but it's definitely a fairly recent development that has only become apparent since the nights drew in.

Any advice would be gratefully received. I wondered whether the sensor may be going or whether a problem with one of the bulbs is leading to an electrical imbalance, or sumfin. To reiterate, the main bulbs themselves are fine yet only come on 'properly' when I turn the lights off!

Thanks in advance

Dave
spike1974

Re: Headlight problem

Postby Mike » Sat Jan 08, 2022 7:58 am

What you’re saying doesn’t make sense. First thing is to establish the correct terms for each function in the headlight unit. Remember that when the switch is in the off position there’s a day time running light that is a filament in the main beam bulb. Take a photo of the front of your van with the light switch off, then take another with the switch in the on position. Post the pictures so we can establish what lights are working.
Mike
Wind up merchant!

Postby spike1974 » Sat Jan 08, 2022 9:48 am

OK, will do
spike1974

Postby Altransit » Sat Jan 08, 2022 1:48 pm

spike1974 wrote:the front headlights only function as dipped headlights.
All other lights works fine, including the full beam and the side lights that come on when you turn.

Could you explain this, because it looks like you're contradicting yourself :?

Do you have automatic dip/main beam, or do you only use the LH stalk to do this :?:
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby Harrison193 » Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:28 pm

Did anyone find any resolution to this issue?

I’m having the same problem I’ve noticed this evening when on auto mode for lighting the sidelights, cornering lights and full beams work but not dipped beams. When I turn the light control to off the beams come on with all other lights off. Until turning to off I assumed the lamps to be the issue but after seeing them come on I’m now confused.

Any advice would be great

Thanks
Harrison
Harrison193

Return to Transit Custom