*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Bilstien B14 Lowering kit

The all new 2013 Transit Custom Forum. Transits and Tourneos 2013+

Bilstien B14 Lowering kit

Postby seikokid » Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:33 am

Just curious if anyone has fitted this or ridden in a van with them fitted. I have these shocks in my car but feel it will be different in a van. If it’s anything like my car then they won’t be very practical , ie rock hard ride
seikokid
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: Bilstien B14 Lowering kit

Postby Marky M » Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:06 am

I'm curious too. I was thinking of mounting them when my shocks must be replaced.
Ford Transit Custom Sport 2018
* L2H1
* Chrome blue and stripes
* Customised for wheelchair accessibility/driving
* 20" Bola B20 Black polished
* K&N insert filter
* Led lights
https://fordtransit.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=189567
Marky M
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby thSman » Tue Apr 05, 2022 8:44 pm

I've got these on mine with the rear damper not just the leaf.
They are great, no regrets
thSman
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby seikokid » Fri Apr 22, 2022 9:40 pm

thSman wrote:I've got these on mine with the rear damper not just the leaf.
They are great, no regrets
So you fitted the whole kit then ?

any photos of the stance of the van after install please ?

what’s the ride like? hard / bumpy ?

you in a van or torneo ?
seikokid
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Malroy » Tue Jun 14, 2022 7:03 am

Thinking of the Bilstein kit myself to address primarily the lightly laden rear bounce on my Tourneo Sport. Lowered rear leaf springs with matching dampers appeals to me but only if its going to bring a more compliant ride and reduce the bounce. My Tourneo like others has a nose down attitude as std so not sure if I need the front coil overs.
Reading someone who has all or part of the Bilstein kit fitted saying its great and no regrets is encouraging but can you please offer more insight and share your experience / opinion of what you wanted from the upgrade and how it's an improvement over the std set up. That would be much appreciated
Cheers
Malroy
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby seikokid » Fri Jun 17, 2022 11:08 pm

Malroy, try Gazmatic rear dampers from mod my connect

that will help your problem.
seikokid
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Malroy » Sat Jul 02, 2022 9:12 am

Hi and thanks for the suggestion,
Gave this quite some thought and researched the options but kept going back to the Bilstein B14 kit and Swift Performance after reading an article on-line in TradeVanDriver Magazine. Contacted Swift Performance and after explaining my need had a long chat with Russel who is one of the two founders, the other being Tim. Russ understood the issues associated with the Transit Custom suspension when unloaded from personal experience (TradeVanDriver article) and the Bilstein solution benefits for the Transit Custom Sport van. He didn't criticise the standard set up by saying it's bad, just it's designed to do a job which for many trade and fleet owners it does.
Turns out Russ has now replaced his Custom Sport Van with a new MS-RT he's already modified to suit his needs including the Bilstein B14 kit. I was already thinking Bilstein was the way for me but hearing Russ had replaced his MS-RT standard hardware it was decision made. Booked in, Russ did the work on my Tourneo himself and very thorough he was doing a full alignment check plus measurements before and after.
Malroy
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Malroy » Sat Jul 02, 2022 9:15 am

Part 2
Only had the work done a couple of days ago but after just a few A road miles on my 90 mile journey home I was saying out loud "oh yes, oh yes". In relative terms straight away it felt so much more planted and its firm but not harsh. On the Motorway it felt little different but I never had issues in that respect anyway. Closer to home I drove down a fast B road that I use allot and one which upset the unladen Tourneo previously causing it to bounce and yaw. Much much better now giving a feeling of being more in control. Negotiating transverse speed humps is another area I experienced quite a difference. Now going over them it's more 'car like' where previously I'd have to be very careful as the rear would bounce over them at anything more than walking pace. I'm writing this now whilst the differences are fresh in my mind as in a week or so I know it will feel the norm.
I stayed with Russ & Tim whist the work was being done, they are really friendly guys, and interesting to see BMW M cars in their shop at the time.
Hope my subjective comments above are helpful but if you are thinking "is it for me?" I'd recommend you contact Swift Performance for a chat as they know their stuff.
Malroy
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby seikokid » Sun Jul 03, 2022 12:48 pm

thanks, they are not far from me. If you read previous posts of mince several years ago i was the first to sort out suspension. i had to design it myself and gazmatic cut and re oiled my front shocks and i have shorter spring made . Also had the rear springs done and dampers made

mod my connect now sells these online but they are the same as bilstein except you can adjust the hardness of the rebound
seikokid
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby seikokid » Sun Jul 03, 2022 12:49 pm

gazmatic don’t do front shocks for vans anymore hence my interest in bilstein - which i al stead have fitted to my audi but this is new territory with vans - well transists anyway
seikokid
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Malroy » Mon Jul 04, 2022 12:45 pm

It's a thanks from me as your posts were a really helpful source of information when doing my research. For Transporters there are loads of alternatives out there but not much on the Ford. I guess in the end the Bilstein brand and a fully engineered complete kit swung it for me. Big shout for Swift Performance though as their knowledge and experience was a massive factor. Thanks again
Malroy
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby seikokid » Mon Jul 04, 2022 12:47 pm

it’s the only kit available and have dragged their heels in doing so.
seikokid
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby seikokid » Mon Jul 04, 2022 12:49 pm

eibach did make rear springs that have 30mm drop and these are used on the MSRT - well they were before ford took over so i’m not sure now
seikokid
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Malroy » Wed Jul 06, 2022 6:59 am

As I'm sure you know the Custom 'Sport' models have a rear anti-roll bar. Interesting to learn that the MSRT doesn't and there isn't the bracketry to fit one. Possibly it was considered unnecessary by the MSRT team or its just economics, in that the lower spec model used as the MSRT basis doesn't have it.
Malroy
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby seikokid » Sat Jul 09, 2022 12:36 pm

Malory - would you mind posting some shots of your van now you have the kit fitted so i can see the stance of the ride height please ?
seikokid
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Next

Return to Transit Custom