*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Wipers Only Work High Speed & Washers Not Working

The all new 2013 Transit Custom Forum. Transits and Tourneos 2013+

Wipers Only Work High Speed & Washers Not Working

Postby ColinHeath » Wed Feb 16, 2022 7:02 pm

Good Evening All,

I have a 2017 ford transit custom 270 Ltd 2.0l diesel and something a bit strange has occurred.

I was reversing yesterday and tried to give wipers a one time flick pushing lever down and they didn't work. Then my low speed wipers were intermittent and worked sometimes not others.

After that I now have no low speed, intermittent wipers or washer. I had a look in manual and the 2 main fuse for wipers are OK (Proven by high speed also I guess). Pulled Relay 17 and high speed stops working and starts agin when plugged in.

I cannot for the life of me find a fuse for the washers in the manual in any of the fuseboxes listed. I mean maybe it's stalk but that seem unlikely as high speed works so was hoping there are separate circuits for low speed and washer or perhaps its a control thing.

Any guidance much appreciated. Ford near me are booked for next 3 weeks!
ColinHeath

Re: Wipers Only Work High Speed & Washers Not Working

Postby FJ111200 » Wed Feb 16, 2022 8:26 pm

Haven't run out of washer fluid have you?
My 2016 doesn't work when the reservoir is out of fluid.
:idea: :lol: :roll:
FJ111200
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby ColinHeath » Wed Feb 16, 2022 9:08 pm

Haha no I haven’t the wipers don’t work either.

After researching the washers are fed from module on motor so suspect the pins on the connector as apparently a common problem.

Will let you know
ColinHeath

Postby Caydom » Thu Mar 31, 2022 5:27 pm

Hi Colin, I have the same problem on my Custom.
Did you resolve it?
Thanks
Caydom

Postby ColinHeath » Fri Apr 01, 2022 1:09 pm

Yes got it solved. It was the drivers side plug leaking water into wiper motor then burned out the pins.

Put new wiper motor on and then buggered it up as plug still leaking again later.

New plug and all OK.
ColinHeath

Postby 3painter » Wed Apr 27, 2022 12:30 pm

got the same fault with wipers only on high speed and no washers, can any one attach a picture what plug it is? i can see on drivver side wiper pump plug but i can't remove it.. maybe is wrong one a picture would help! Thanks folks
3painter

Postby ColinHeath » Wed Apr 27, 2022 2:04 pm

3painter wrote:got the same fault with wipers only on high speed and no washers, can any one attach a picture what plug it is? i can see on drivver side wiper pump plug but i can't remove it.. maybe is wrong one a picture would help! Thanks folks

It's the drivers side wiper motor and plug is up underneath. I found it easier to remove screws from brake fluid reservoir and then easier to get arm underneath and pull plug.

You will need to squeeze the brown plug release to get it out but might be very tight if all corroded. I removed whole motor.

- Remove wiper blades, then remove plastic bulkhead plate, then remove bolts to motor and unplug once you have it out.
ColinHeath

Postby Mikkybgs » Tue Aug 08, 2023 9:32 pm

ColinHeath wrote:
3painter wrote:got the same fault with wipers only on high speed and no washers, can any one attach a picture what plug it is? i can see on drivver side wiper pump plug but i can't remove it.. maybe is wrong one a picture would help! Thanks folks

It's the drivers side wiper motor and plug is up underneath. I found it easier to remove screws from brake fluid reservoir and then easier to get arm underneath and pull plug.

You will need to squeeze the brown plug release to get it out but might be very tight if all corroded. I removed whole motor.

- Remove wiper blades, then remove plastic bulkhead plate, then remove bolts to motor and unplug once you have it out.

Hi Colin,

Sorry to dig up bad memories but the same issue has occured on my Transit. Ford have quoted close to £1000 to fix - and said that's the cheap option!

Do you remeber how much the motor cost you and where you got it?

I'm considering attempthing it myself so are there any other parts I'd need other than the motor? Ford said they'd need pigtails and a washer piump...?

Any advice would be very gratefully received.
Mikkybgs
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby ColinHeath » Tue Aug 08, 2023 10:18 pm

I don’t have the van anymore but the motor is £190 and the plug £45 if I remember correct.

The plug failed again but lucky didn’t take motor out again.

Simple enough job following YouTube videos and I would either pack connector in silicone grease or silicone.

You probably won’t need washer as that is controlled by wiper motor board and will stop working when plug / socket full of water.

They are basically charging you £800 quid labour for a 2 hour job! That’s 2 hours without all the gear they have!
ColinHeath

Postby ColinHeath » Tue Aug 08, 2023 10:19 pm

Also my parts weee from from a Ford dealer at that price
ColinHeath

Postby Mikkybgs » Tue Aug 08, 2023 10:39 pm

I always think Ford can't surprise me but they manage to do it again. They had the motor alone at just over £300!

Thanks for the reply that's very helpful. I'm going to give it a go.
Mikkybgs
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Return to Transit Custom