*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Turbo hissing/leaking oil

The all new 2013 Transit Custom Forum. Transits and Tourneos 2013+

Turbo hissing/leaking oil

Postby Nathan-f » Fri Mar 25, 2022 6:57 pm

Hi all, after some help I’m pretty handy with the tools but only have a trolley jack and axle stands.

My van had a new turbo last year, lately I’ve noticed a hissing/whooshing sound while accelerating above 2.5k. It seems to be getting worse. I have checked over all boost hoses and can’t see any splits or leaks.

While I was under the van I noticed a lot of oil on the gearbox, looked up and it appears to be coming from the bottom of the turbo, what I’m assuming is an oil feed/return pipe. It’s directly on the bottom and has 2 what looks like M6 bolts holding the pipe on, I can see oil around and on these 2 bolts and certain this is where it’s coming from.

Would this be the cause of the noise while accelerating? Any tips and pointers on how to get the turbo off, is this a job that can be done from above and below with axle stands? Is there some kind of gasket or seal on this pipe that would be causing it to leak?

Also a bit of oil in the intercooler pipe, is this normal?

Cheers
Nathan-f

Re: Turbo hissing/leaking oil

Postby RIPPERTON » Thu Apr 21, 2022 9:36 am

Oil on the intercooler pipe sounds like your boost leak. Probably the intercooler end tank split or seal popped.
Get it up on jack stands and try to tighten the 2 bolts on the turbo oil drain.
RIPPERTON
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Turbo hissing/leaking oil

Postby sherwoodcycles » Sat Aug 06, 2022 7:20 pm

Check the big turbo air pipe. It can rub on the alternator and create a hole.
Greeny
sherwoodcycles
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Return to Transit Custom