*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Smart Alternator or not...Help

The all new 2013 Transit Custom Forum. Transits and Tourneos 2013+

Smart Alternator or not...Help

Postby Wholesouled » Fri Apr 29, 2022 5:14 pm

Hi

Im hopeing i can get some help here after reading other posts on the same topic. I have a 2016 ford transit custom which i belive is a Euro 5 going by my hpi check. I have done an voltage check before and after when the van is running and it reads 14.5 consistantly before and after. From what inresd this should mean its not a smart version . However the attached photo is the battery and from a youtube video it tells me this is a smart shunt attached.

Im well confused - i have a split charger relay fitted as i thought it was a traditional alternator but now im not so sure.

Help appreciated or any other way to confirm for sure?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wholesouled

Re: Smart Alternator or not...Help

Postby longhair » Fri Apr 29, 2022 8:20 pm

Mine is a 2014 euro 5, and I have a VSR as well and my leisure battery has been charged effectively fine for the past 4 years that I have had the van, so I don't know if it has a smart alternator but if it does it hasn't caused me no problems whatsoever.
longhair
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: Smart Alternator or not...Help

Postby Wholesouled » Sat Apr 30, 2022 8:14 am

Thanks.

I did think mine was working ok but has now started to fail after 2 month. I found a you tube video and they point out the black plastic moduel on the negatie terminal is the sign of a smart alternator, however the voltage check with a multi meter dosnt match .

Thanks for input
Wholesouled

Return to Transit Custom